Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm wobbly and barely standing, but I think I survived a bout of momentary insanity. A week ago, because of other some other household needs I found a way to rationalize selling my Sweet Sixteen. Those of you who know me a little know I have a minty 1953 gun that has always made me proud. I find it a little too "nice" for my rough and tumble bird hunting, maybe a little too open choked for late season pheasants, and those factors left it a little vulnerable to liquid asset thoughts.

So last night I took it out of the safe and looked it over, handled it for a while, and QUICKY came to my senses. It is simply a magnificant gun that the selling of would cause permanent regret while the money gained would be soon gone. This one would leave a painful void.

So this morning, feeling a little foolish, I pulled the ad from 16ga.com.

·
Registered
962 Posts
{..while the money gained would be soon gone...}}

So true!
The only justification for selling such a nice gun would be to raise some $$ to buy a nicer one.
&
Isn't it amazing how a nights sleep will clear the head and make a difficult decision much clearer??

·
Registered
135 Posts
If Santa Clause had found your gun in his sack full of goodies during flight on Christmas morning, he would have instructed Roudolf to make a U-turn. He wouldn't have let this gun leave the North Pole! You made a wise decision. It's a keeper.

A5-HUNTER

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! Your comments help. There are some guns that just come your way only once, and this is one of them. A nice Sweet Sixteen is truly a treasure in the shotgun world. Glad I came to my senses!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well, I'll tell ya. I've been wanting a Sweet Sixteen for some time now but I just wasn't willing to cough up what is being asked for a minty one these days. I bought one in a pawn shop the other day. I almost walked away from it but I knew I was gonna kick myself in the arse 3 days later when I woulda come back and it woulda been gone. So I bought the daggone thing and I'm glad I did.

And 3 days from now you'll be glad you still have yours.

and 3 weeks and 3 months and 3 years etc......

·
Registered
565 Posts
Sometimes I take my dad's Sweet 16 out of the safe and think - "Dad gave $65 for this gun used in the early 60's. He hunted with it for about a dozen years then I swapped with him one year in the early 70's, refinished the stock and hunted with it and bought a new barrel for it for $105."

He took it back and finished out his hunting life with it and used it for the last few years of his life as his truck gun.

When I got it back again after he died there was a little rust here and there and the horn butt plate had attracted whatever kind of worms like that stuff but it still would shoot and shoot better than any other gun I owned.

I cleaned it up, filled the holes in the butt plate, made a dumb move and sold the original barrel on Ebay for much more than Dad and I had in the gun.

So there it sits in the safe. I took it out last year for one walk on a place where I didn't think we would find any birds and we didn't. But I shot it just to make sure it would still shoot. It did but didn't eject the empty. I still had it set up for heavy loads and hadn't changed it. I cleaned it and put it back in the safe and that's where it sits today.

Belgium Sweet 16 - 1959 mfg. Factory 26" Cylinder Bore Vent Rib Barrel.

Sometimes I think - Dad would want me to sell this thing and buy me something I really want. Like a Browning Citori 16ga.

Then I chicken out and put it back in the safe and think - NO I'll take it to that Browning guy in eastern Missouri and let him refurbish it for me.

I understand the dilemna.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
Every Christmas Day I get out Dad's 1937 Sweet Sixteen and hunt rabbits with an old friend. I almost sold that gun about 30 years ago. I am glad that I did not and you will be glad that you did not,too.

Bye the way, your gun is very nice.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have an affliction with the sweet sixteen as well. Dad has given me his but it stays at his house in the safe. That was the first shotgun he ever purchased and that was used. We still use it to hunt squirrels in the fall. Its a good clean 1966 model, 26" barrel, fixed mod choke. Ive been on the lookout for a good clean shooter to purchase this spring/summer. Me an my wife are having our first child in January and I have somehow sneaked by with justifing the gun purchase to give my daughter when the time comes :D

(But if I buy it to give to her then ill have to buy another one for myself right? Im still trying to figure out how to sell that idea :lol: )

·
Registered
195 Posts
I agree..........Good call to hang on to it. Your analysis of what would happen with the money soon after is what has inspired me to purchase another Auto 5. After having to disolve my collection of Auto 5s several years ago, I want another one, this time to hang on to. I have bought and sold most of the guns I've ever owned over the years and the only ones I've suffered for getting rid of are the Auto 5s.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
That is a nice Sweet Sixteen. However, it is not $1800+ nice.

I should say that alot of my ideas have changed since I passed the 60 year mark. I gave my hunting Sweet Sixteen. a 1957 beauty, to my friend's son so that he could enjoy it this pheasant season and pass it on to his son that was born this year. I went to the gun room and took one of the NIB Sweet Sixteens that I bought and set aside back in the the early 90's and started to hunt with it. I like the Invector chokes and it shoots as well as Dad's 1937 Sweet Sixteen. :lol: :lol: After all, that is why the gun was made. :wink:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A5 Guy, who has one listed for $1800.00?

Mine was listed for $1200.00

I took it off the market and I had an offer the next day for $1500.00 sight unseen.

I politely declined.

I had a Sweet Sixteen some years ago and I regretted selling it. I caught myself almost making the same mistake twice!

·
Registered
195 Posts
And I add, "to hang on to" as meaning for use until I want to pass it on to my son, not for sitting in the safe all the time. I do shoot mine too.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Sadly, it really is only a matter of time before you sell or someone sells for you. We can covet these guns until we're old and the market, economy and life has passed us by but don't ever hold onto a gun that you simply won't attach a price tag to. Our dreams are for our children to inherit the same passion that we have/had for these old guns but I can guarantee you that its not going to happen. Not to worry though, they'll put a price tag on them for you. Theres not a gun in my collection that isn't FS.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dandy, I think I hear your point. In my case we weren't blessed with children, so I'll enjoy having a real nice Sweet Sixteen for a long as it's important to me, and then I'll pass it along to another who values such things as more than simply cash.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Drabbit,

I guess that's the difference between a collector and an accumulator.

My guns are not worth nearly as much as the high condition guns that you have. But as of right now none of them are for sale, even at three times thier real value.

I hope that my 3 sons want them, but that's not the reason I value them. And as my enjoyment of them will die with me I would not expect my kids to keep them just because I liked them. Where that logic ends is on the guns that came to me from my great grandfather, father and first wife. Those guns are legacy guns and already mean more than just my addiction.

Legacy guns are not all old. The "first wife" gun became an instant legacy gun because she gave it to me as a wedding day present but passed away a few years later at the ripe old age of 26.

Bang, instant legacy. Value, infinite.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.