Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran accross this piece from Dec 9, 2018 and a follow-up piece from Jan 11, 2019. Slightly dated and somewhat tongue in cheek. Enjoy; or not. 😁

·
Registered
24,386 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
A social scientist would not compare murder rates between countries and leave it at that, or assume the low murder rate in Switzerland is because of regulations like “background checks”.

How does Switzerland’s per-capita murder rate compare to a US state like Wyoming or North Dakota, where there are few urban crime issues and few gang activities, yet very lax gun laws? That might be a more enlightening discussion.

Could it possibly be that murder and other antisocial tendencies are not a function of lax gun laws, but a function of things like family structure and local cultural norms?

Could it possibly be that Swiss people don’t kill each other simply because Swiss people don’t want to kill each other?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think you'll find the answer is indeed a cultural one. In "First World," Western European societies which are culturally and socially homogeneous, violent crime is not tolerated and therefore is quite rare. America, on the other hand, has become bifurcated culturally and socially with one side embracing traditional values of law & order, and the other devolving into an evermore vulgar and violent existence. Our country has not become more violent, an easily identifiable faction of it has.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Western European societies which are culturally and socially homogeneous, violent crime is not tolerated and therefore is quite rare.
I wish you'd told the IRA that; they had a distressing habit of trying to kill me and I come from a Republican family. .....

Birmingham pub bombings, missed me by 24 hours, but killed lots of other people plus a friend of ours had fingers blown off, breasts lacerated and a punctured lung. Omagh bombing missed me by about 20 minutes. Shot at coming out of a concert in Belfast, and my hotel room (along with others) blown up when they bombed the Europa hotel for the umpteenth time.

Homogenous my arse.

But I agree with the central point, their are cultural differences at play and they are important.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeah, war's a *****. And nearly 40 years of skirmishes between opposing sides are bound to generate plenty of anecdotes like those you shared. Apples and oranges.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I think you'll find the answer is indeed a cultural one. In "First World," Western European societies which are culturally and socially homogeneous, violent crime is not tolerated and therefore is quite rare. America, on the other hand, has become bifurcated culturally and socially with one side embracing traditional values of law & order, and the other devolving into an evermore vulgar and violent existence. Our country has not become more violent, an easily identifiable faction of it has.
I think that`s about as accurate and succinct of an explanation as I`ve seen. Of course, you also have the isolated nut job that shoots up a school or business which gets a lot of breathless headlines along with accompanying lamentations from the woke left decrying our" violent, gun ridden society. " Never mind the crime ridden inner cities. To talk about them in any meaningful way will get one branded as racist in a heartbeat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts