Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyyone ever cleaned the recoil spring (in the stock) in their SX2? I need to do mine. The gun still works good, but the stock spends quite a bit of time being dunked and the water can't be good on the spring assembly.

Is this a do-it-your-selfer, or a take to the smith? I have no problems striping the gun to clean, just never have done the recoil spring.

·
Administrator
23,325 Posts
lossking said:
It's an easy do-it-yourselfer. Just remove the recoil pad and the stock, and you're at the spring tube. Be careful releasing the spring from the tube as it will fly out under force.
Do this in an area that has no breakable or fine finished items. If that spring gets loose, it will hit anything around that is expensive and/or easily damaged.
And how do you think that I know this?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Worc said:
It's easy to do and should be cleaned at least once a year or after the gun gets really wet.

Here are some break down instructions for the Gold which applies to the SX2/SX3 with the bolt handle part being different.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=78152
Worc, On my SX3, (which I got this last weekend) I found that the cross pin at the end of the recoil spring was extremely hard to get out. Had to punch it out. At the end of the spring and tube there is a threaded piece you screw out and then the spring will come out. But the pin concerned me even when I got it back in. The pin only keeps the threaded piece from backing out. Do you think the next time I take this apart that something like a stainless kotter pin could be used in the place of the roll pin?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow...job done and it was easy. My gun gets drug through the water all duck season. Probably shoot 6-8 boxes of duck load per year, plus a flat of field load. 4 season of abuse and my spring was pretty clean. I was more concerned about rust but it looks like the folks at FN did a good job of building a gun that doesn't rust. Not a hint of it anywhere, despite the water that dripped out of the stock when the recoil pad was removed. Thats bad since duck season has been over for almost 3 weeks now.
:roll:
Great gun!!!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
ilmo said:
Worc said:
It's easy to do and should be cleaned at least once a year or after the gun gets really wet.

Here are some break down instructions for the Gold which applies to the SX2/SX3 with the bolt handle part being different.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=78152
Worc, On my SX3, (which I got this last weekend) I found that the cross pin at the end of the recoil spring was extremely hard to get out. Had to punch it out. At the end of the spring and tube there is a threaded piece you screw out and then the spring will come out. But the pin concerned me even when I got it back in. The pin only keeps the threaded piece from backing out. Do you think the next time I take this apart that something like a stainless kotter pin could be used in the place of the roll pin?

I took the pin back out today and sanded it down. Now it fits nice and snug, but not extremely tight as before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.