Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SX3 that I just got brand new with a steel magazine tube.
I see that in the manual and Winchester web site pictures show a black magazine tube with a brass ring.
Does anyone know which is the newer model?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The black tube had a brass ring where the piston sits and the gases would stain the brass ring for easier cleaning and strength... I think.
The mag tube was also one diameter from top to bottom.
With the stainless steel tube, it is thinner at the top and has a thicker part where the gas piston sits and then thin again from there down.
It seems that there would be 2 different size gas pistons because the one with the black tube would have a smaller inside diameter than the gas piston on the stainless tube.
I'm beginning to think that I got the older style because the black tube was all one size and with a smaller inside diameter gas piston would make the gun lighter.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My SX3 composite has this magazine tube, which I bought new in April 2009...I had to order my gun, so I thought I was getting the latest model availabe. Not sure now????

Lightweight leader. Why spec a steel magazine tube when one that weighs 3/4 of a pound less will do the same thing? That's what we thought when we chose a high-strength alloy magazine tube for the Super X3. To ensure longevity, a brass ring has been added to withstand the effects of hot gases from the shot charge.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/interactive/sx3.asp

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had one that bought in Nov 2008 and it had the same mag tube as yours (black with brass ring).
I now have another one that Winchester/Browning sent me a few days ago and the mag tube is stainless steel.
I'm beginning to wonder that mine is an older model because if they made it more light weight, the stainless mag tube has a couple of places on it that are thicker causing more weight.
Also the gas piston has to be larger to go around the thick part of the mag tube causing more weight.
Then the barrel where the gas ports are, has to be bigger to allow the larger gas piston to fit into it causing more weight.
This is what mine looks like (cell phone pic). Notice the thick part closer to the top where the gas piston sits.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.