Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdo All
Now that I'm here, how's about some help. I'm currently saving my dollars for a sxs.The models I think I may want are as follows: a used Win model 23, Browing BSS, Ugartechea , or a Bill Hanus AYA. Can someone help me find stock dimensions on the Browning and Winchester and weights for a 20 gauge. Any websites with good info on these? I only became interested in shotgunning last fall, so am strictly a novice but eager to learn.Also, any opinions on advantages/disadvantages of English style game gun vs. American,ie. Straight stock splinter vs. pistol grip beavertail.
Thanks in advance,
Steve

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
All good guns. You'll have to go do a bunch of legwork for the dimensions as I think all of them had different configurations within the Model Lines.

For me splinter fore-ends for two reasons: 1) It just looks right and 2) It puts the barrels further down in your palm creating a great site plane because your just pointing your hand at the target.

English stocks takes some getting used to unless you've shot them all of your life, but are just as effective as P.o.W or Pistol Grips. This is purely subjective.

For me the top two guns on this list are. Winchester, just cause it's Winchester and Ugi's because I like the way they look.

That's my two cents and if you need help on the legwork let me know.

By the way the Model 23 Golden Quail are about as nice a gun as I've ever had the pleasure of seeing and using and there are two 410's on Gunbroker.com as we speak.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JLP
I seem to remember another post you made that you own a model 23 and I'm glad you like Ugi's, so maybe you can answer this. Does the Win 23 in 28 ga. have a true 28 frame or only 28 barrels on the 20 frame? I have only shot and owned pistol grips and think I would prefer that on a 20 ga but am considering the straight/splinter configuration if I go with a 28 ga. Maybe this clarifies where I'm at, deciding configuration and gauge.
Again Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I still haven't received my model 23 but I will be getting it when I travel to Oregon later this year for some chukar, pheasant, quail hunting until then I just have to fill the air with my Browning or Remingtons. A friend of mine keeps letting me shoot a Franchi o/u so I'll buy it from him. Why should I buy the cow if I can get the milk for free.

I'm not sure if the 28 is on it's own frame or not. I know that the guys at Midwest gun works sell seperate replacement stocks for 12/20 and 28/410 so I would assume the 23 had only two frames. You can shoot them an email and ask. I'd also bet that they can help you on the dimensions of the different stocks.

Another gun I was looking at to further confuse your situation is the Franchi Highlander, what a looker. But I digress.

Let me know what you get, I will own one of each of the guns you're talking about someday, except the AyA but you never know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts