Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a sxs the Ruger looks good and so does the Weatherby. I am not sure of the two. Asking for some opinions. I am shooting a o/u right now. If any body his any other suggestion. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
owned a ruger gold label 12ga sxs........my opinion: poor quality, all cast metal inside, had many function problems. Gun spent long time at Ruger being reparied under factory warranty. I would suggest a Beretta, Weatherby, or SKB!

·
Registered
670 Posts
If you can find a Ruger, their value seems to be rising - although I am not sure why.

The Weatherby's not bad, but my nod goes to the Ugartechea. They are slimmer and more graceful and you get a largely hand made gun, with chopper lump barrels for the same money or less than the Weatherby.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
An RGL will cost upwards of $3k today. I also am not sure why.

For that money (actually for about 1/2 that money) you can get a custom built gun, stocked to your measurements and choked to your desires, with 1 or 2 triggers.

Go to www.dhshotguns.com and click on SGr Deluxe on the left, and take a look; hey, looking is free, and you'll be better served knowing what's out there.

·
Registered
868 Posts
One of the nicest for the money I've sen lately is the
Smith & Wesson SxS. The one I handled was a straight sotcked 28" 20 gauge. Nice wood, well checkered, great case colours.
Only wish it had two triggers. About $ 2500 US.

No it ain't an AyA No. 2,, but it's not a CZ either.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I have not seen the Ruger in the "flesh" but from the photos it is clear that Ruger wanted to offer the good looks of the Dickson Round Action in a modern package. It is sad to see in the posts above that it is problematic because it is a pretty gun.

The Beretta Silver Hawk is a fine gun. It has its own type of action, not an adaptation of the Anson Deeley. It has all coil springs and cylindrical recesses in the receiver, so it is much stronger than the Anson actions with their square cuts.

All parts of the Silver Hawk are hardened throughout and it can be repaired without the need for hand fitting of parts, although it is doubtful it would ever need repair.

The Silver Hawk is identical mecahnically to the older 626 model, so it may pay to look for a used 626 and thereby save some money.

Looking at other guns, the Spanish makers, like Ugartechea, AYA and others make decent guns based on the Anson action. The AYA Iberia is a stout gun, with monoblock barrels at the low end of the scale. If you are talking more expensive look at the AYA boxlocks.

In these days of outsourcing make sure you look at the proof marks which show if the gun was proof tested, at what pressure and in which country. Most European countries belong to the Inernational Proof Committee and their guns must be proof tested before sale.

Avoid cheap sidelocks. The sidelock has 19 parts per lock which require hand fitting, it is unlikely a cheap one will be properly built.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Look around for a Miroku, Browning BSS, or SKB. Saw a beautiful SKB at the range a few months ago 20 bore 28" barrels great wood and nice engraving you can find them for around $1000 or less. Some of the older Spanish guns are heavy and tend to fall apart, I have shot them and they just seem awkward to me.
ACE

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
At present I have three SXS shotguns.Two are manufactured by AYA.I have been very pleased with the AYA shotguns.My 28 gauge Model 3A AYA has seen much use since I bought it new in 1976.Not one problem in all those years and use.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I own an AyA 12ga SxS 2 3/4 28in barrels choked M/F English stock splintered forend, double triggers, automatic ejectors 6lb 7oz gun a real pleasure to shoot. Bought new,never had any problems with the gun. Their is a article in my DEC. Issue of Shotgun Sports on the DeHaan 16ga SxS. I dont know anything about them, they are made in TURKEY.The guy that was doing the testing was pleased with them.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
acechanley said:
Look around for a Miroku, Browning BSS, or SKB. Saw a beautiful SKB at the range a few months ago 20 bore 28" barrels great wood and nice engraving you can find them for around $1000 or less. Some of the older Spanish guns are heavy and tend to fall apart, I have shot them and they just seem awkward to me.
ACE
???
Recommending a BSS or SKB and
telling someone that older Spanish guns are heavy??????
So sorry to disagree.
The BSS & Mirokus tend to be heavy.

I have an 1963 AYA#2 12ga that weighs 6lbs 5 oz.

I know you said "Some older Spanish guns"
but
most older Spanish guns tend to be light.
I urge you to pick up a few more.

Roger.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Shotgunguru said:
I have not seen the Ruger in the "flesh" but from the photos it is clear that Ruger wanted to offer the good looks of the Dickson Round Action in a modern package. It is sad to see in the posts above that it is problematic because it is a pretty gun.

The Beretta Silver Hawk is a fine gun. It has its own type of action, not an adaptation of the Anson Deeley. It has all coil springs and cylindrical recesses in the receiver, so it is much stronger than the Anson actions with their square cuts.

All parts of the Silver Hawk are hardened throughout and it can be repaired without the need for hand fitting of parts, although it is doubtful it would ever need repair.

The Silver Hawk is identical mecahnically to the older 626 model, so it may pay to look for a used 626 and thereby save some money.

Looking at other guns, the Spanish makers, like Ugartechea, AYA and others make decent guns based on the Anson action. The AYA Iberia is a stout gun, with monoblock barrels at the low end of the scale. If you are talking more expensive look at the AYA boxlocks.

In these days of outsourcing make sure you look at the proof marks which show if the gun was proof tested, at what pressure and in which country. Most European countries belong to the Inernational Proof Committee and their guns must be proof tested before sale.

Avoid cheap sidelocks. The sidelock has 19 parts per lock which require hand fitting, it is unlikely a cheap one will be properly built.
This all makes sense.
The Beretta Silverhawk is a gem.
The Ugartecheas are wonderful guns for the dollar.
www.ugartechea.com
The AYA is super-fine Spanish gun with a long history in the states.
www.gunbroker.com

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/commo ... yText=aya+

·
Registered
121 Posts
I own a Ruger Gold Label and was somewhat disappointed with my ability to hit anything with it. I dislike the splinter fore end. That being said, I got back from a cold weather pheasant hunting trip last week and shot equally good with the RGL and a Benelli SBE II. I don't know if it was wearing insulated gloves placed properly on the fore end that improved my aim or what, but in the time I've had the gun, I've never had a problem with it, and am pleased that I'm knocking down birds with it. Maybe I'm lucky. The fit and finish of the gun are excellent, and I'm proud to own what is (to me) a quality American made gun. My .02

·
Registered
526 Posts
shotgun25 - If you have never been measured by a professional fitter, now might be the time. Once you do, then the choice will be clear - get the gun that fits you best. Having a gun that automatically points where you look is awesome.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Beretta 470, Browning BSS, SKB 500, Charles Daly (older models by Miroku). Have owned all of these at one time and they are all great shotguns for the money!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts