Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about a SxS for a long time.....no real reason to purchase other than I'd just like to have one. Wanted to ask folks thoughts on what make/model you'd consider to be fairly good quality, and something that will last? I would think this shotgun would mostly be taken to the field, with the occasional trip to shoot "backyard" clays.

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would shoot one before you buy one. I have a few friends that have bought side by side and don't shoot them because they can't hit anything. It's a different sight line and it takes getting used to. I am waiting on a new Dickinson 28 gauge with a raised rib. It is the only side by side I've ever shot that had a LOP that fit me.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The reason people struggle with a SxS is because you can't aim one. You need to shoot them with full concentration on the bird/target. (which is how you should shoot) Aimers struggle with them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have shot everything from clays to uplands bird with my Beretta 486, its a great gun. Have a look them you wont be sorry.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
708 Posts
I've shot a lot of rounds of skeet with an old Stevens 311. It's not much to look at, but it was cheap (about $200 I think), goes bang every time, and is built tough (if not particularly elegant). For casual/backyard use it's great.

·
Registered
42 Posts
When I posted earlier, I mentioned that I shoot old ones. The last post about the 311 got me thinking.lots of us here are thinking you are going to go buy a new one. Don't write off the old stuff. Just search your local shops that you trust. Have a gunsmith check it, if you are unsure. There are plenty quality guns out there that are not in collector condition. It'll also prevent the loss from "driving" it off the lot. I have a 16 ga Ithaca made in 1905, and a 12 ga lefever made in 1906. I like them both

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
JLorenson,

I agree with Shotcloud, take a hard look at a Classic American or German Best double gun. Shop around on GI there are lots of very nice double guns for sale right now at reasonable prices. The Classic guns were built to last forever with very high quality, a lot of the modern guns have trigger and doubling problems, not so with Classic American guns.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

I just picked up this beautiful 1911 L.C. Smith 16 gauge double gun off of Guns International myself, if you are serious GI has some nice high quality Classic double guns for sale.

Reactions: jlorensen

·
Registered
415 Posts
Don't overlook the Dickinsons. Usually available at Cabelas. Solid guns. Not overly expensive.

Reactions: jlorensen
1 - 15 of 15 Posts