Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here. I've been reading posts on your site for about an hour. What a vast collective of shotgun knowledge! It was difficult, but I fought off the uncontrollable, school girl-like giggling long enough to post a few questions that I can't find answers for.
I've recently had my eyes opened to the pump shotgun world when I bought a Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader. I've been looking for some accessories for it, but apparently there were some design or functionality changes made to the 2008-present model years. My difficulty is magnified by the fact that I'm a deployed USAF employee, so I can't put my hands on anything to check it out for myself. Here are my questions:

1. Is there a tri-rail forend out there for a 2009 model year 500?
2. Are there mag tube extensions for this shotgun?

There are lots of aftermarket forends out there for Mossbergs, but I haven't found one that specifically says it will fit the new models. I've already bought one, only to find out later that it only fits pre-2008 models. The one I'm looking at now is made by Command Arms. I guess I'm hoping someone here already knows if it will fit, or has any others that will.
I've seen some posts on here about different mag tube extensions, so I'm going to check out their websites. So far I haven't found any that say they fit a Mossberg. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.
My new Mossberg will soon be waiting for me stateside, in my FFL dealer's safe. It's coming out of the box with a six-position pistol grip stock, 5 shell carrier, and a heat shield. Additionally, I've already bought a red/green dot scope, and the non-compatible tri-rail forend kit that included a vertical grip, tactical light, and laser. I just need a different forend and a mag tube extension to be completely satisfied!
I'd appreciate any guidance you can provide, so that all my accessories can be waiting for me when I get home in a month.

-J.C.
"GraveDigger"
Veritas Aequitas

·
Registered
803 Posts
500 Persuader can't accept a mag tube extension because it has a closed mag tube. Once you get a chance to look it over you will see what I am saying.

500 Tactical Breacher is different it has a cleanout mag tube like the 18.5" bbl 590 & 835 shotguns. It can accept a tube extension.

500 Tactical Breacher

500 TB with tube extension

GC

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Guess I'll stop looking for that now. An extension wasn't really that big of a deal for me. The forend is what I'm really sweating about.

·
Registered
46 Posts
What is your reasoning behind wanting a railed forend? For using a vertical grip and mounting a light and laser? I havent personally tried that set up but I dont think I would trust a vertical grip on a 12G. On a firearm with less recoil, I'm all for them... on a shotgun, I'd be afraid it would break off after a while or but stress on the slide bars etc. As far as I know on all post 96(?) 500's the forend is a one piece design. I know my 2007 model is atleast and I doubt they changed it back for 2009. You can use the tri rail forend if you swap to a 96 and below slide action so you can change out the forend with all the different kinds you se on Ebay etc. But what I would do is just add a forend strap and a barrel/mag tube mount for the light/laser. I added a forend strap to my Persuader and it works wonders. Before, the recoil would almost cause my hand to slip off while firing if they were the slightest bit sweaty, now there is no chance or that happening with the strap installed. I made mine for free with some spare sling webbing, 4 screws, and some epoxy in the screw holes for good measure.
Here is an example of a breacher model with the strap.

And here is the Mesa Tactical mount I'm looking to get for my 500 to mount a light and sling stud to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I already will have a vertical grip and a light and laser from the forend I bought off Ebay. I plan to use those accessories on whatever forend I get. I looked at just doing a barrel clamp style mount for the light/laser, but don't know how much room I'll have with the heat shield mounted. There are types out there that clamp to the barrel and mag tube so that it can't move, but I'm worried about space.
My Persuader already has a strap mounted on it, so I'd be all set if I just wanted to get the barrel mount. I was also looking forward to the remote pressure switches for the light and laser. I figure they would give me less to fumble with in the dark during any potiental HD situation. The vertical grip has spots for mounting those switches.
Thanks for your input. Gives me something to think about.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for sharing! Not knowing for certain if ANY forend will fit it, I just bought one of these. Good find!

Now I'm justing waiting for the shotgun to get figured out. The factory new one I bought off GB showed up at my FFL not in a condition described to me as factory new. I'm still out of the country for another 4 weeks, so I'm leaning heavily on my dealer to help sort this out. Is it common for a NIB mossberg to come out the box with wear marks on the mag tube, down through the bluing? I'm hoping it was just a mix-up. Due to other issues with it, I'm now waiting for UPS to send someone to inspect the damage for shipping insurance claim by the seller, and a replacement to be sent out.
I think all other comppnents are at the house waiting for me to get home. BTW, how do pressure switches normally mount? 3M type tape?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
GraveDigger said:
Thanks for sharing! Not knowing for certain if ANY forend will fit it, I just bought one of these. Good find!

Now I'm justing waiting for the shotgun to get figured out. The factory new one I bought off GB showed up at my FFL not in a condition described to me as factory new. I'm still out of the country for another 4 weeks, so I'm leaning heavily on my dealer to help sort this out. Is it common for a NIB mossberg to come out the box with wear marks on the mag tube, down through the bluing? I'm hoping it was just a mix-up. Due to other issues with it, I'm now waiting for UPS to send someone to inspect the damage for shipping insurance claim by the seller, and a replacement to be sent out.
I think all other comppnents are at the house waiting for me to get home. BTW, how do pressure switches normally mount? 3M type tape?
Dangling wires and defensive arms do not mix in my opinion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mohave-Tec said:
Dangling wires and defensive arms do not mix in my opinion.
That was a concern for me as well, but as this is my first HD shotgun, I wanted to explore all the possibilities before ruling it out. Trying to think tactically, I wonder if it's better to have the remote switches and keep the element of surprise in a HD situation, or have a light that I have to take the time to turn on by hand and possibly give away my position prematurely?
Maybe I'm not thinking about this correctly, but I'm thinking if I have to leave my bedroom in the night to look for that "bump", I want to be as quiet as I can and remain in the dark as long as possible so as not to alert the BG to my presence, all the while ready to shoot if needed. I already have the advantage of knowing the layout of the house, so navigating it in the dark is fairly easy.
Or do I want to come out all lit up and noisy, hoping to scare the BG off, and maybe giving him a chance to hide instead of run if his intentions are for more than theft?
I know I've strayed a little off topic, but am I over analyzing this?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Were the bolts/nuts supplied with the tri-rail long enough to pass through the heat shield bracket and the mount or did you just buy a longer set?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't know yet, just ordered it yesterday. I'm deployed USAF also, so I won't get my hands on any of it for another 3 weeks when I go home.

The website had photos of it mounted on a 500 with a heatshield, so I have high hopes.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Devildog7781 said:
Were the bolts/nuts supplied with the tri-rail long enough to pass through the heat shield bracket and the mount or did you just buy a longer set?
Perfect length. My heat sheild has a plastic rod sandwiched between the heat shield tabs and it runs up to the end of the barrel. You can see it in the picture. Mine is the only one I've seen; it is suppose to keep the sheild from creeping up on the barrel. Anyway, the screws pass through the rail through smooth bored holes first, then one of the two heat sheild tabs then the plastic rod then second shield tab and finishes by screwing in the threadedside of the rail. The screws stop just short of protruding the opposite side of the rail. I'm talking about the screws that came with the rail. I beleive this rail was created for those of us who want to keep the cheesy heat shield on the 500 and still get a light close to the fore end.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
GraveDigger said:
Mohave-Tec said:
GraveDigger said:
Thanks, good to know.

They ship fast too! Bought yesterday, shipped this morning.
Where are you?
SW Asia. Georgia is home.
Thanks for serving.

I'm a Georgia boy also tho I've spent 1/3 of my days in Texas and the other third in the SW deserts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts