Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, my dad use to say, if you beat a kid or a dog as much as they need it, you, will kill them. Fortunately for me, my Dad's bark was much worse than his bite!!!! I took my deceased baby sister's kid marsh hen hunting today. I gave him a pickup truck & a 870 Rem. pump 20 ga. Well, you have to shoot marsh hens on high tide & time & tide waits for no man. High tide where I went was at about 10 am. We had to get a lot of things together, so I told him I would have to get him up early. It was about 6:30 that he informed me that he had to buy a hunting liciense!! He went to Walmart on James Island & they were not open, so I took him to another Walmart. I told him to buy an extra box of shells. He came back with a hunting license, A duck stamp & no shells. Plus, I had to give him money as he didn't have enough!!! I asked him, why did you buy the duck stamp?? You don't need it for rails. He said the lady at Walmart told him he needed it!!
We made it to the water. I said, I assume you have your gun plugged, He replied, no, I couldn't find it!! "I will just put 3 shells in it." I said, sorry but it don't work that way. Anyway, no game wardens.
The kid shoots pretty good, sometimes, but today wasn't a good day. Plus, it helps a lot if he could remember to load his gun!! Anyway, in spite of everything being against us, we killed a limit of 15 each. I put enough birds in front of him to kill twice that, but what the hell! Shells were loaded with 7/8 oz. # 7.5, 16.5 gr. herco, DR versalite 20 ga. wads, cci 209 pri., wwaa hs & rem. one piece hulls. He's a good kid, probably better than I was at his age!!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
geo -

Your frustration with the ideocyncracies of a teenager are obvious. I sincerely salute you for your patience and forbarance.. Hang in there. The good you are doing is beyond measure and may well make a crucial difference in this boy's life. You have my sincere respect.

Congrats on a successful hunt in spite of the difficulties.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
/

Geometric:

You sure bit off a chunk, and that's for sure. Good for you though. Hope the kid had a happy day.

When I was done reading, it occurred to me that before you go hunting with a new pupil, take them both Shopping first, and some practice shooting first, to get them familiar with your generosity and your knowledge. LOL!

I have always regretted that when I was a kid, nobody ever took me either shooting or hunting. I think I was about the age of 55 before I ever when hunting. Thank God for Hunter's Ed? Heh heh.
If you're doing it, you're doing a great thing.

/

/

/

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have been there and done that. Can't tell you how often the early morning trips to walmart have happened. This one sound familiar? " I can't find my hunter ed card/license!"

It is a great thing you did. I am sorry to hear of your loss. It is responsible of you to step in and make sure your nephew has the family connection, and support.

Huntinbull

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Mag plug for the gun is as simple as grabbing a branch off a tree, removing the leafs, breaking it to size, and sticking it in the mag tube.

And as for the lad, sounds kind of normal as well. In time, he will learn to get everything taken care of before hand, and even pack his stuff the night before, since if you do it the morning of, you are going to miss taking some as sure as the sun shines.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Dano523 said:
plug for the gun is as simple as grabbing a branch off a tree, removing the leafs, breaking it to size, and sticking it in the mag tube.
Ah yes, many a sapling has lost its virginity to the mighty dove hunter who forgot his plug! :lol: But to be safe, remove it when the shooting is done. The acids in some green woods, such as oaks, will cause the inside of the magazine to rust, spring included. :oops: Pencils make good plugs too.

Anyone ever have a Browning 2000? You loose that plug you were screwed! :shock: But I messed up once and actually made one from a stick, which I had to split... and it worked! :wink:

·
Registered
109 Posts
One of my biggest thrills in life is hunting with my GRANDson. Sure, it sometimes has it's challenges but it is worth it to see him develop. He is only six and already loves the outdoors. He looks forward to deer season now!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.