Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother called last night to tell me about his recent fishing experience. Afterwards he was in a store that buys and sells guns. A gentleman game in looking to sell a shotgun and the store employees were in no hurry to talk to him. So my brother strikes up a conversation and mentions his interest in the purchase. To make a long story short, they meet elsewhere, and the man has a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12ga.... he only wants $100 for it. The pump action doesn't seem to work properly, the guy said his teenager had disassembled the gun at one point. Wood looks good and so does the bluing. So my brother bought the gun for $100 and after a little looking and fiddling at home, he has a working 870 WingMaster. I told him I'd give him $100 for it!

This is almost identical to a story he had a couple of years ago where an older gentleman was looking to sell an old shotgun. My brother ended up buying a Savage 12ga pump for $75.

I need to start spending my free time in these shops!

Then my brother told me an even more interesting story about our friend Doug. Doug was buying a used bicycle I guess from an ad in the paper. He went to pick up the bike, and the guy says "are you a fisherman?" "Sure". So the man goes into the house or garage and comes back with rods and reels and says "here, take these too". No extra charge. Doug is turning to walk away after thanking the man, and the guy says "hold on, I got one more thing". He comes back with a 10ga (yes 10) I think SxS shotgun and just gives it to Doug. Take that too. Can you imagine? All that after selling a bike.

How would you like a free 10ga SxS ? Can't beat that price! :wink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
We have a bargin mart type paper locally and I buy it every couple weeks and I ran across an ad for a Ruger MkII for $100. I called the guy and he said the gun had some problems but it would work. Well I met up with the guy, I looked it over and gave him the $100. What had happened was the guy had taken it apart and couldn't get it back together. I had it together in a few minutes and that was the only thing wrong with it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here is my 'missed' deal.

Two weeks ago or so I bought a new Rem 1100 sporting 12. I paid about $700 give or take. Yesterday I was in the gas station paying for a tankfull when I noticed a handwritten paper on the wall. A couple of guns for sale including a like new Rem 1100 sporting 12 for $320. I asked the guy how long the ad was on the wall and he tells me it has been there for at least two months. I go there twice a week and never noticed it.

My best deal was non gun. It was a pair of Zeiss 10x50 binoculars. A stranger in a local bar room was asking 50 bucks. I said "I'll give you 20". He took the 20, I drank and left as fast as I could with my new $1,200.00 binocs. :D Thomas

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
I guess my most recent bargain buy was last week, I found out that a friend of my wife's was having a garage sale and there was some guns in it. Since I was connected I called the lady and asked her about them, she gave me the particulars and I went right over.

I came home with a Sears (Stevens 9478) 20 ga single with a bad spot on the stock (perfect otherwise), a nearly perfect H&R 88 in 20 ga, and a J.C. Higgins pump (High standard) with POLYCHOKE :D all for $200.
I got home and started doing some searches for the rollmark on the JC in some auction sites, found one identical running at $225 and several similar for $200. This info took most of the venom from my wife's voice. The sad part is that within 15 minutes of arriving home, my Son had confiscated the Sears 20 and my Daughter had abscounded the H&R.

G

·
So far, I've purchased two shotguns. An Rem 870 express w/ the extra slug barrel for $200.00. I also bought a B 390 a few years ago. My older neighbor gave me a Hercules, IE Stevens 311, I think, sxs 12 g. Decent shape, shoots good, wood ok, but missing the recoil pad, 30", choked full & full according to the smith I had look at it. I'd like to have a nice looking recoil pad put on it, cut the barrel to 26 or 28 inches, and have the chokes changed to IC and IC for skeet and grouse, etc. I was also given a Steven's single shot 16 *****, inherited my Dad's old Mossberg 185d Bolt action 20 *****, which my son promptly used to drop a 5 pt buck, was given 2 older .22 cals, one a bolt action, one a single shot.
I'm always on the lookout for free guns.

Steve

·
Registered
520 Posts
Here is my deal missed. I stayed with an elderly couple years ago helping them during some recovery after one had surgery. I was shooting and hunts at the time. Shortly after that they had a neighbor widow who had a garage sale. Harold called me to let me know they had a shotgun for sale. I was working and go the message later that day. I call back and ask about the gun. He was going to buy it for me but wasn't sure I would pay $75 for a single shot shotgun. SO I ask what brand was it, "oh a Browning in a nice case" Yes, it was a BT99 in a hard case for $75 . If only I had gotten the message a lttle earlier. Oh well some one got a heck of a deal.

My wife garage sales all the time. The rule is if there are guns,reloading stuff, decoys, or boatmotors, she had better call me and always write down the address and phone so I can call them right away !

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
8 Posts
As a Police Officer, I run into some pretty good deals here and there, and there are quite a few 'ol widder women that think they are required to turn their deceased husband's firearms in to the police. I've never taken advantage of that, and if it's anything of value, I'll tell them what they have and what it's worth, and if I can't buy it I'll send them to my buddy's gun shop. Because of that I've missed a few really nice guns!

Another Officer's brother is a Sergeant in another jurisdiction, and he has no scruples! Matter of fact, me and his brother call him "S**t-Head" if that tells you anything. He ran into a US Air Force custom M1 Garand presentation rifle in a fitted oak and leather case for $300.00 when the old Colonel's widow had no idea what it was, and another time he was GIVEN (FREE!) an original, numbered snail drum magazine for an artillery Luger. Oh yeah, a lawyer called the police on one occasion, and "S**t-Head" was given a brand new Walther PPK stainless out of an estate after the lawyer didn't know what to do with it when none of the guys family wanted it. Some people fall in it and come out smellin' like a rose!

They are few and far between, but one sweet deal I got was a brand new, unfired Ithaca (SKB) 200E Deluxe for $400.00 tax and all by a digruntled shop employee who sold it to me for what the shop paid for it. Another was a "brother-in-law" deal I got from a buddy of mine who's ex-father-in-law passed away, and I got a mint '61 Belgian A-5 for a song. Great post by the way, let's hear more. Sam

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
I've had a couple of good deals. My mother worked at a discount store and if an item sat on the shelf long enough, management would discount it 75% to get rid of it. I got a 20 ga 870LW for $92 and a Mossberg 5500 with 2 3/4" barrel for $64. Mossberg found a 24" barrel with 3" chambers for the 5500 and sent me that, a hard case, and 3 choke tubes for another $50. I bought a like new 20 ga Savage BS-E at a garage sale for $125. Years back, I found a Remington M-10 trap gun for $50 and I bought a 3 1/2" Browning Citori for $735 that was mismarked in a sporting goods store. I've had a couple rifle and handgun deals but that is another story.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought a rem 100 for $100 still had the box and only been shot 4 times. A old boy that is a friend of ours had bought it new and never realy used it and i had been buging him for the last year about it and then he sad fine give me a $100 and its yours.

·
Registered
22 Posts
picked up a Winchester 1400 semi-auto for $150. It is fixed choke, but improved cylinder. I think it might be my Sporting clay gun, as I faired very well with it this past weekend. If I need other chokes, Winchoke barrels are available for $159. I checked before I bought it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had the family of a man who had passed away offer me their father's custom Belgian Browning Auto-5...engraved, fancy wood furniture and looking like it had never been shot...Their father was an executive for GM and this shotgun was given to him...anyway...as bad as I wanted it (it was beautiful) I told the family it was probably worth some $$$ to them and encouraged them to sell it...as I was leaving, the brother in law of one of the daughters of the deceased snapped it up to give to a buddy of his...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Im trading my moms boyfriend an old HP 566mhz comptuer thats dead to the world and itself for a Mossberg 500 with a 28" relbued (thanx to me) modified barrel, 18" home defense with heat sheild barrel but no bead. synthetic pistol grip set with forearm, and 2 slings. The gun looked liek junk with the rusted barrel. So I took the barrel as a first time project and reblued and it looks sexy!!!I need the practice since Im aiming to be a gunsmith one day!!!!!!!!

Jamie 8)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Not quite a shotgun bargain, but here it is.

1 - 7.7 Arisaka w/ bayonette, and 40 rounds of ammo
1 - Universal M1 Carbine w/ 15 round and 30 round mag and assorted ammo (250 rnds) including tracers
1 - Glennfield .22 with old K-Mart short and long ammo (about 200 rnds)
1 - toolbox filled with cleaning supplies, rods, patches, oil, etc...

all for $270.

I sold the Arisaka and accessories for $130 and still have all the rest.

G

·
At an auction one day I noticed a clean Stevens 311 20 sxs, and checked it out but the triggers wouldn't move. When it came up, no one would bid on it because they thought it was broken. I got it for $40, took it home, opened it up and cleaned the hardened grease out of the triggers, worked fine after that! That was a decade ago. It's been a great field gun, and it's going out with me Monday for dove.

G

·
One day I happened to see a Westernfield 600 autoloader behind the counter at the local Gander Mountain store. Sitting upright in the rack you could only see the bottom side of the gun, but darned if the lifter and loading port didn't fairly scream "REMINGTON". A brief inspection and $150 later, I walked out with a nice condition Remington 878 Automaster masquerading as a Montgomery Ward product.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.