Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spring Turkey Season Coming Soon...First Timer

My question is with Turkey specific shotguns, what would be the main advantage of the 20/22" barrel over using let's say your all-purpose or waterfowl 28" barrel with a Turkey choke?

I personally don't like the Camo finish look but it seems that all the "turkey barrel/guns" are now going this way. I would love to hear your opinions on turkey hunting with black matte or wood/blue over the camo finishes. I understand turkeys see very well thus the reason for camo clothes. But is the camo gun really necessary?

What set up are you using successfully?

Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
420 Posts
DeGriz said:
Spring Turkey Season Coming Soon...First Timer

My question is with Turkey specific shotguns, what would be the main advantage of the 20/22" barrel over using let's say your all-purpose or waterfowl 28" barrel with a Turkey choke?

I personally don't like the Camo finish look but it seems that all the "turkey barrel/guns" are now going this way. I would love to hear your opinions on turkey hunting with black matte or wood/blue over the camo finishes. I understand turkeys see very well thus the reason for camo clothes. But is the camo gun really necessary?

What set up are you using successfully?

Thanks for your feedback.
1. Go here to find out all you need to know:

http://www.nwtf.org/message_board/postl ... d=shotguns

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Any shotgun with an Improved Modified choke or tighter will work.

The camo is the help kill our wallets.

Shorter barrels make it easier to get around the woods.

A sling is worth it's weight in gold.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I hunt with a Remington Sportsman - black matte all over. Last year was the fist time I ever hunted turkey and I did not feel at a disadvantage. I sat within 15 yards of 5 birds (3 young jakes and 2 hens) for about 20 minutes one day with the gun at my shoulder and propped on a stick in front. The birds never even glanced at me.

I don't think camo is really needed. That said, my next hunting gun will be one of the powder coated camo guns for the rust resistance.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The shorter barrel helps alot with being able to get around branches etc without getting hung up. I have a 26" barrel & wish that it was about a 22".

My buddy shoots a glossy 1100 & has taken a lot of turkeys. The first couple of years he wore blue jeans & a military style jacket.

I personally think the camo guns are ugly :p & had a hard time even buying the ugly matte black that I use, but I didn't want to scratch up any of my glossy guns while crawling around :wink:

You will ultimately have to make up your own mind as to what the newest hype is that you can't hunt without :wink: Now on to the real question should you use a 20 or 12ga 3" or 3-1/2" or maybe you are a die hard 2-3/4" guy :lol:

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Screw in your full choke and you are good to go. There is a chance of a shiney gun alerting a bird to your position. If you are worried about it pick up a roll of camo gun/bow tape for around 4 bucks. Shorter bbls are more mobile but shouldn't affect patterns one way or the other.

My theroy on shell selection is to shoot the heaviest load that your gun will pattern well. If you have a 3" or 3.5" chamber, why shoot anything less? There is no such thing as a turkey that is too dead.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
I have both long barrels (28") and short (22") and I can tell you that the shorter barrels are much handier in the woods. Mostly when moving around with the gun on a slung. Catches fewer branches.

As for the camo/matte, again I have both. The camo is cool looking, but very unnecessary. My biggest bird was taken with the matte barrel at 15 yards. I agree jpl, camo is made to lighten our wallets.

Frank

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Turkeys do have great eyesite. It's the ability to see movement that makes them hard to hunt. The Sorter barrels are better for the above mentioned reasons. They also tend to make the gun lighter with more weight towards the stock which makes holding the gun up easier for long periods.
Any finish that does not reflect light will be fine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does not matter as long as it is not shiny and you do not move or overcall. Camo guns are made to catch hunters not turkeys. I have never felt a scope was worth it either. What your opinions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Totally agree Ktoenjes. Scopes are totally uneccesary and in my opinon only increaase the chances of a screw up. I mean who needs a scope for a 30 yard shot? Shorter barrels are nice but I'v hunted in some of the thickest turkey habitat in south Alabama for fifteen years with a 28" barrel and have never had an issue. Turkey hunting is like fly fishing. Manufacturers of hunting gear make you think you need all these whiz bang gadgets to be succesfull. Not true. You need a good blind, patience, a tight choke, and the ability to sit still long after the lower part of your body goes numb to kill turkeys. That is it. You don't need to buy a camo gun. Just tape it up with some camo tape.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
You need a good blind, patience, a tight choke, and the ability to sit still long after the lower part of your body goes numb to kill turkeys.

So are you guys saying you dont really need to dress up in the whole full camo mode either. Or maybe just from the waist up?

Just get to the place you want to be, set up your blind, call, sit and (on a good day :wink: ) wait for turkeys to come in?

Anybody using decoys?

Thanks for the posts

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
ThrasherfromBama said:
I mean who needs a scope for a 30 yard shot?
The purpose of the scope on a turkey gun is not shot placement (why would anyone want a scope for a shotgun loaded with shot, never mind 30 yards) . The purpose of the scope is enhanced visibility in low light conditions due to the light gathering properties of the lenses. Don't know that it works, but that's the real reason some use them.

Frank

1 - 13 of 13 Posts