Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a great forum, I am looking around for a used dedicated deer slug gun and like idea of a pump gun with a fixed barrel.

What are the differences between the Tar-Hunt 870 and the Ithaca Deer slayers II and III ie quality, acuracy, etc.

All options and experiences apreciated

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have both and 870 deer gun and several Ithaca 37's. The deer slayer is very durable and is very accurate. it is more expensive but is by far a top of the line deer gun. you can get them in smooth bore as well as rifled barrel. on most guns the barrels interchange and you can get a vent rib barrel to use for other game. check out

http://www.ithacagun.com/

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I suspect the quality would be quite good for both the Tar-Hunt 870 and the Deerslayer fixed barrel.
Accuracy?
That's a tough question.
You would almost have to shoot them side by side with the same or similar sights using the same ammunition in both to determine which is more accurate with what ammo.
I'm thinking the most accurate slug shooter is going to prove to be the bolt action guns that are built like rifles.
Once again there are so many variables that it would take a serious shoot off at a bench rest to determine 'best' accuracy.
Sounds like you want a pump action so that's what you should go with.
Either of the two fixed barrel guns you mentioned should give you at least acceptable accuracy with one of the many sabot bullet loads on the market.
I try to euncourage new slug shooters using the 12 bore to try Hastings, Remington Buckhammer, Dixie full bore, and Lightfields.
The pump actions seem to prefer the larger sabot bullets over the smaller diameter hi-speed sabots.

·
Registered
975 Posts
All of the aforementioned guns have a 1/28 twist free floating barrel and are drilled and tapped for scope use.

My older DSII storm has given me a better than 2 moa group at 100, however I do not have the resources to do very much shooting anymore to thoroughly push the envelop. I can say it shoots everything pretty well and I now use whatever sabot is cheapest.

The DSII is a more affordable DSG that balances and points better than an 870. I own a 12ga 870 combo, a standard frame 20ga, and I am issued another so I feel qualified to have that opinion. I would say the DSII storm is probably the second cheapest DSG to the venerable H&R ultra slugger in the $400 range.

The DSIII was developed to be a type of beanfield shotgun and used guns will run close to a grand. It is a much heavier gun. The current Ithaca has their website up and I'll include a link to a video about the current DSIII, and some 200 yard shooting...I know guys gimme a break.

http://www.ithacagun.com/deerslayer3.html

I don't recall too many users in this forum shooting the tarhunt 870, however I would expect it to be on par with the Ithaca DSG's.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just built an 870 slugger and it shoots great. Here is the breakdown on what I did and the cost...
1. Slightly used 870 12ga.....$250.00
2. Badger 1 in 26 twist barrel.....$160.00
3. Da-Mar scope base.............$40.00
4. Sear spring and trigger anti-walk pins.....$21.00
5. Burris steel Zee rings...............$25.00
6. Nikon Slughunter scope............$205.00
7. Knoxx Spec-ops stock.............$100.00
8. Knoxx powerpak{cheek piece}........$40.00
9. 1/4X28 shoulder bolt {for pinning the barrel to the receiver.....$4.00 {for the whole pack}
10. 10X32 set screws {for securing the barrel to the mag tube}...$2.00

Total.........$847.00 plus or minus a few dollars for shipping, Loctite, etc. Trouble with all this is that while it does shoot very extremely good, it will not hold its value like a Deerslayer III. For a few dollars more I could have had a DSIII but they are not out yet.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Was referencing the new fluted heavy barreled DSIII Not out yet. Price list isn't either. I'll bet they will be over or close to $1000.00 but worth every penny. I'l also bet that the one for sale didnt cost $875.00 new.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many thanks guys for your knowledgeable replys.
I checked Gun broker listing for the DS III mentioned above, I think it went for $825, the seller had added a note that a $825 buy now offer would get the gun - seems a fair deal to me

I have until next deer season to have fun looking at slugger's
The new Ithaca's look to be very well made, good quality guns - I hope they make it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts