Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bluewing, Greenwing and cinnamon teals use eastern fly way, So that means South-East has to be an Expert Shooting this teals.

Are their any Hail callers, feed callers for these Teals?

·
Registered
30 Posts
No Problem. Not really a whole lot of duck hunters in Florida. Seems we are a dying breed. I just picked mine up a few days ago and plan on trying it out tommorow in the am. I'll post how it worked out soon afterward. I have to admit though, it sounds pretty sweet already :D!

G

·
A regular duck call works just fine. If you have a 6-n-1 call you can make the short peep/whistle that the drake greenwing makes. Short stacato quacks and regular quacks get their attention. Teal are very gregarious and like to check out other ducks, if atleast to just buzz by. On Sun in AR there were hundreds flying around. I already had 3 greenwings of a 6 bird limit and was holding off waiting for big ducks. Lots of fun to call to them anyway and have them set in the decoys, some within arms reach and then peep and quack at them getting them to answer back. Always check the legs out when they are that close, I'll happily take another teal with jewelery over a mallard or a pintail.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok Have had my call out a couple of times and it has worked alright. Although it has been able to break a few off of the flock and bring them back around for a second look at the decoys, none of them have actually landed in the spread. Hopefully over time my calling will get to be a little closer sounding to the real thing and more will find their way to the table. Remember that when it comes to teal calling and decoying them in are only about 20% of the battle. The hard part is shooting the little boogers as they zip past at 50-60 miles an hour!!!

Always be careful when setting out decoys just before sun up. Make sure you place them on the water, never drop them. Teal flying in the area will hear the plop on the water and mistake the sound as other birds hitting the water and head that direction. This sounds like a great bird attractor, but remember that this will be occuring when humans are at a visual disadvantage in the pre-dawn twilight. A buddy found this out last year when he had a drake bluewing hammer him square in the chest. Said it felt like someone hit him with a pick ax!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.