Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early Teal season gets fired up this weekend in Texas. I personally can't wait. Anyone else hunt these fighter jets of the wetlands? I generally jump shoot them off of ponds I dove hunt near. Best time is first thing in the morning.

I've seen some bluewing and greenwing buzz my pond in the backyard the last two nights.

For their sake they better get moving to Houston before they end up drawn, plucked and stuffed with orange/cranberry stuffing.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright Crazy,
First thing is why is your hunt rained out? Unless there is lightning doves still have to eat and they will fly in the morning so why not hunt. I will be out there @ 0640ish with raingear, dog, shotgun and I may even lose the raingear. Turns out the only people that rust are Oregonians. We're from Texas now dadburnit get out there.

Second: Teal are very small ducks that fly like a cross between a duck and a dove and first cousins to F-16's.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
you guys are lucky lucky lucky, we don't have an early teal season here in california :cry:
but we do have the largest population of cinnamon teal.
which everyone knows is the best teal :wink:

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pigeonhunter,
I've said it before and I'll say it again, move to Texas. With your $59 Super Combo Resident Hunting license you get:

4 x Turkey Tags
5 x Deer Tags
Red Drum Tag
Freshwater Stamp
Turkey Stamp
Archery Stamp
Muzzloader Stamp
Whitewing Dove Stamp
State Duck Stamp
Deer season and Fall Turkey runs from Early Nov thru Early Jan
Quail Season is from Late Oct - Late Feb
Spring Turkey from Early April - Mid May
We have early Teal and late Snow Geese Seasons

Hogs and Exotic Mammals are in season year around.

And I believe a partridge in a pear tree.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Jlp, do you happen to know if there are Teal down here by Corpus? I would love to broaden my horizons beyond dove at some piont...but I know where and how to hunt dove and nothing else lol. You said around ponds...that is easy enough, but I'm just afraid I will shoot the wrong bird haha. And what kind of ammo will you be using? Btw the gun I will be using is a Baikal IZH-27, 26" with IC-under M-over. What would be the best ammo for that combo?

Only one more question!! Does the early teal season open to ALL of Texas or just your zone? If it's zone by zone which zones?

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
http://www.duckcentral.com/Waterfowl_ID.429.0.html

Look up blue winged and green winged teal on this link.

they are very small between 11 and 15 inches stem to stern.

they fly in small groups and their wingbeats are way faster than mallards and other bigger ducks.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
my dad's girlfriend lives in dallas..now I wish I could join her :D
in CA our deer tags are on a draw and I would give my right pinky to have a spring a snowgoose season. I wanna move to texas for hunting season...(tear) sniffle, sniffle. :cry:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.