Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Who can have just one?
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Material, features and why it's your favorite.

I am shopping for a new vest and want to consider my options. If you have a link to suppliers so much the better.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Shoot the Moon, made to my specification. Pick your colors, the material and get it made the way you want it. IMHO, it's the only way to fly. I just don't fit the dimensions of off the shelf vests and I see a lot of other shooters who don't either. I'm fairly short and end up in limbo between an L or XL. The body of the vests is always too long, so I can't get shells out of the bottom of the pocket without bending over half way. I also detest the shoulder construction on most vests. I shoot low gun and the flaps over the shoulder end up getting wrinkles in them and the gun catches them on the mount. My STM has the shoulders cut narrower so that doesn't happen. STM makes your vest work for you instead of against you.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
A big +1 for STM!

Basically an extremely well made custom for less than many, if not most of the ones that have some brand name sewn onto them. I've had mine for about 3 yrs and it looks way better than my previous one that was about a year old.

·
Registered
11,592 Posts

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I had both my summer clays vest and winter clays shooting coat custom made. I used Seams Inc. Sportswear in Delaware. Not sure if they are still around, but a quick Google Search should find you some custom or semi-custom (order to exact sizes, colors etc.) around the country.

The women who owned the company I used, traveled to major shoots and would measure you there and then ship you your vest after completion. Colors, pad types. monograming etc. all available as well as custom fitting with some latitude in adjustment in case you changed the shirt you wore under it, or had that extra heavy lunch while shooting.

Bob

·
Registered
11,204 Posts
My ol' favorite for the last 20 or so years is a "skeleton" type vest that Cabelas offered for about a year quite a while ago, and very reasonably priced, as well. 4 major large pockets to hold shells and accessories at the bottom, and a "zip-up" folding mesh empty hull bag so it's out of the way if you don't need it. It's a mesh back vest so it can be worn comfortably in warm weather, but is adjustable so it can be worn over a light to medium weight jacket as well. If I recall right, it only cost under $30.

Too bad it is no longer made.

·
Registered
12,908 Posts
I like Bob Allen and Beretta vests. If you want a Beretta by mail, order one size larger than you normally wear. They run small

·
Registered
540 Posts
I really like my Beretta vest, but it doesn't have a shell pouch in the back and that is my only issue. Its not a big deal for skeet or sporting clays but for trap I like to have one. I also feel the recoil insert fits better than the browning

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I sent an email to Shoot the Moon and didn't receive a reply. I tried to call them during their stated business hours and got an answering machine. I was interested in having a vest made with a suede patch (not wanting my shotgun to slip or move around during recoil). I found a Team Browning vest at Cabela's that I bought. Hint to companies; if you want business, reply to email inquiries.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I am sure that STM is at nationals in San Antonio this week. Give them a chance. I went through the whole fitting at nationals two years ago and went back and forth if I was going to order or go with something else. I ended up with a Castellani London -http://www.ultimateshootingaccessories.com/Shop

I really liked the full leather side and some of the other things about how it felt and fit. I don't like the logo across my a$$, but I like the vest and how it functions.

·
Registered
732 Posts
STM is the best I've seen. They get overwhelmed at the large shoots, as it's all hands on deck, but they produce a high quality product. Castellini makes a nice vest, but they just didn't fit my frame. Personally I also shoot in a half vest when the weather gets cold.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I like the Beretta vest for off the shelf.

I do have a couple of STM vests, one more than 20 years old, the other fairly new. Great quality. Unfortunately they are not great at communication. It took several emails and follow up calls to get it ordered and about 8 weeks to delivery.

·
Registered
283 Posts
No vest for me! Lonesome Charlie leather pouch when im feeling stylish! otherwise as light a weight pouch as possible and not "fully loaded" with shells. have used the separation in the pouch to carry 2 differnent shot type or speed of shells. The less I have on, in my pockets etc. the better for me. id probably get my score way up shooting naked! :shock: :D :lol: OOps!TMI!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
11,204 Posts
NICA shooting jacket design 5 is the best jacket for shooting in cold weather. Not only is it warm enough, but it has large enougn pockets for hulls (gloves, too), and an inside pocket for a Browning Reactar recoil pad or the Beretta pad. It also has non-stick shooting pads for both left and right handed shooters, and nice zipper-closef pockets on the chest for storage, as well.

I used my new one for shooting sporting clays yesterday (temps in the 30s and falling, with a hard northwest wind blowing), and was actually well pleased. And I actually partially unzipped it for comfort! And it performed flawlessly. I had good, normal gun mounts, and good shooting, as well!

All that, and it's stylish, too.

Check 'em out on www.nicashooting.com

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
captcl said:
Lonesome Charlie leather pouch when im feeling stylish!
Plus 1 for Lonesome Charlie, he does good work.

I also have a couple of Game Winner branded off the rack vests from Academy. Not as nice as a custom vest I'm sure, but they work well for me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.