Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
your wedding!

My wedding took place on the day my wife graduated from high school. We got married just prior to the graduation ceremony. She was 18, I was 21. Our wedding cost $15, which I borrowed from my mother. A Notary Public married us. I was in the military at the time drawing the amazing sum of $90 per month. She lived with my folks until I was discharged and I got a real job.

Ain't life interesting?

Honestly, I was married by a Notary Public. It is legal in SC for a Notary to conduct a marriage. Tell us about your wedding!

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
My wedding, including the reception, cost exactly $40. I was married on November 23, 1996.

I had three pastors conduct the service. All are friends of mine and none were going to be left out.

Our church had a policy that the building was free to all members for weddings.

My mother-in-law knew a truck driver that was studying to become a pastry chef. Consequently the cake was free; he wanted the practice. It stood about three feet tall and was very yummy (even after it was shoved in my face :wink: ).

The flowers were provided by a florist that was a member of the church.

I had a friend whose mother-in-law likes to cook and insisted on providing the food for the reception.

The photographer was a relative of another friend and wouldn't let us pay.

The piano player was my friend George. He was the finest keyboard musician I've ever heard. Boy could he make that piano talk. He died a few years ago. Rest in peace George, you are missed.

My wife's dress was given to us. A seamstress had had it for a while. It was the right size and she altered it for free. We were initially supposed to give it back, but after the wedding the seamstress wouldn't take it. We still have it.

My wife, Deborah went barefoot so, the shoes were free. :wink: Deborah has claustrophobic feet, but that is another story.

It just so happens that our wedding day was also the day of the Ohio State - Michigan football game. My brother-in-law and my sister live in Columbus, Ohio. His dad gets season tickets to the games because he is an alumni. He has three brothers. The tickets to this game alternate to each child as his turn comes up. They only play in Ohio every other year. This particular year was my brother-in-laws turn. He's a real fan. They have one room in their house that is painted Scarlet and Gray. He gave up his tickets that year to come to my wedding. Any college football fans will realize what a huge thing this was.

We had to pay $40 for drinks at the reception hall. The owner wouldn't let us pay for the room. We had been using it as a meeting hall for our Christian Motorcyclists Association (CMA) local chapter for a few years. They even provided food warmers for all the food.

Music was provided by a CMA member.

The place where I rented my Tux made a mistake and I ended up not paying for that either.

It was a great day. We are in our 13th year this year and she's still a keeper.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
My wedding and reception were at her family's church and other then the cost of my tux and some flowers for her it was a freebie! :mrgreen:
Just celebrated our anniversary last week, July 22.
forty-two great years and we still like talking to each other. :lol:

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
The first one was a rather large affair with a modest budget and a full church (small church). The reception was orderly with no blows exchanged or shots fired.

After thirteen some odd years (mostly odd) we agreed to go our separate ways and vowed to remain life-long enemies. So far, we've both kept that vow.

I met my present wife six months later. We dated a loooong time. Our marriage was a small affair with a few friends in a large church, but we used the smaller chapel. No reception, just a small wedding cake and sparkling water in the minister's study. That's been almost eleven years ago.

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Come on, guys. Don't be shy. Tell us about getting hitched. I've been with the same little gal a bit over 50 years now. I think these stories are interesting.

I'm sure that most of you over 21 have been married at some point. Did a preacher hitch you, a JP, a judge, or a notary? Let's hear about it.

Thanks to those of you brave enough to post.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
When I got married, we decided we weren't going to go under a mountain of debt, and to have nice wedding, but still do it pretty much "on the cheap". We went to Las Vegas (at the time, we lived in SoCal, so it was a 4 hour drive) and stayed at then brand-spanking-new Excalibur Hotel. We hired a limo to take us to one of the "quickie" wedding joints, got hitched, went out to dinner, stayed for a day or two & went home.

We did pay for a few nights in the new hotel, which was discounting rooms to get customers in; of course, we paid for the limo and the wedding, & the meal after, but that wasn't a lot. We had a small wedding party, just my folks & hers, & her sister. No big wedding or reception, no band, no catering, etc. I know it worked out the way we wanted too, because I remember the wedding, limo ride & dinner clearly, but I have no idea of how much we spent.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Flew to Jamaica the day after I graduated from vet school, and got married on a beach 2 days later (stayed at a Sandals resort). Went with another couple, who were also getting married. Had a great time, and would recommend it to anyone. Her family doesn't get along, so a traditional wedding wasn't in the cards. We, and the couple who went with us, are all still happily married 8 years later.

·
Registered
5,995 Posts
The first time was a small wedding in the chapel of the school I graduated from. The ceremony was performed by the chaplain when I first started who came out of retirement to do this. her immediate family as well as mine were present plus a couple of close friends. At 23 years of age, we didn't have much money but we did the best we could. Our folks gave use some money which we put towards a house rather than the wedding. The honeymoon was at my cabin on the other side of the state. 8 months later she was killed in a car accident, several months after that I was badly wounded in a bar and began my climb back into the world of the caring. I met my current wife several years later and after dating for nearly a decade, finally got hitched. It was the second for both of us and I wanted to elope and she refused as it would have killed my mother. Instead, she said she would handle it and I just had to show up on time. She picked a beautiful home which was unfortunately in one of the worst parts of Minneapolis. I found out about this a couple weeks before the event so was unable to change the location. It was a 7:00 PM wedding in Feburary so it would be dark as the guests both came and went. I talked to a couple of buddies on the police depatment down there and they provided "extra" security for the event. No problems were encountered and I am truly indebted to the guys that hung around the area. My wife had a large guest list and I seem to recall about 200 people showed up, most were her immediate family as she has about a dozen brthers and sisters along with about the same number of aunts and uncles plus their wives. I had a momentary surprise when she included the traditional words, "love, honor, and OBEY" in her part of the vow!!!! I looked back at some of my buddies at this and upon my raising an eyebrow, the place broke out in laughter. My wife did not catch on as to why until after all was said and done so she is now stuck with her vow. I try to use it to my advantage whenever and however I can though it is common for her to break it. I guess women are not subject to the same rules as us men and the sooner I accept it, the sooner I can be brought to heel.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I think mine qualifies as the farthest away. I met my wife while I was stationed in Germany in the Army in 1983. We were married by a JP in a little town in Denmark called Svendborg. It's a small whaling town on the south coast of the country right on the North Sea.

No friends or relatives were involved in the whole thing. We were there for a total of a week, kind of a wedding/honeymoon type thing. Several of our friends laughed at the idea, saying it wouldn't work. The 12th of this month will be 25 years! :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
I was married in an artillery battery .... well anyway there were two Canons present.

I was a disbelieving cradle Catholic and the bride was an observant daughter of the Church of England. We had one of the very first "ecumenical" services in UK, her parish priest Canon McClean joined my fellow, Canon Copsey on the altar, took part in the ceremony and gave the Blessing. All this in 1970.

I've often since wondered if that was why the IRA near missed me a couple of times, though people assure me it was nothing personal. :lol: :lol: You don't get 40 years for murder these days but I've served thirty nine.

Eug

PS there used to be an expression in common usage "Red hat, no draws". Jude took good care when leaving the reception to wear a large red hat and a bold grin ... she was always a game girl!

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
We celebrated my birthday with some friends on april 8th 2005 by drinking alot of beer and trying to bowl. The next morning we met my dad, brother, and sister at the Jackson County court house and the ceremony was conducted by a pastor who was there every saturday. Cost $20. I wore my Wrangler cowboy cuts, a black pearl snap shirt, and my Dan Post boots. She wore a purple blouse, a black skirt, and a leather jacket. Her parents didn't show out of protest. (my MIL and I have a real love/hate relationship) My daughter (who was 1 y/o and not biologicly mine) stood with us. She was pretty glad to get a daddy. Afterwords we stayed to be a witness for another couple. Turned out to be a good thing because 6 months later her twin sister and my best friend had a wedding with a $20K price tag.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.