Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Texas Rags look very affordable, but do they really bring in the geese? How do I use them to best effect? Do I need other decoys mixed in? How do I achieve the look of a mixed flock of snows and blues? What calls do you guys use with Texas Rags? Anybody use electronic calls with these in spring?

-Dave

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
I've got a couple thousand of them but am not a big fan. I find they are not as lifelike as I would want for spooky snows. I originally bought them when I hunted in Texas and it wasn't possible to drive into the rice fields. I still use them if it is particularly muddy and am afraid of getting the truck stuck but otherwise use anything else. What I do is tie the rag onto a two foot long 1/2" dowel that is cut at an angle on one end (this allows you to stick the dowel into the ground with less effort) as shown in the directions. Wrap the top or "head" to the stake with reinforced packing tape but leav the bottom free. I buy 4 footers and cut them at a 45 degree angle. I also soak the dowels in a water sealant to prevent rotting. You then have to seal the bottom edges of the rag together to make it into a sort of windsock. The best bet is to use a stapler. Rags come in snow, blue, and Canada versions along with sandhill crane. I have some of all of them and pretty much mix them up. The Canadas are close enough to specks that it doesn't matter and the cranes are grey which look like immature snows and blues. You will also want to set the rags up outside for a week or so before using. They have a slight sheen to them that needs to be weathered off or else they shine and spook birds. When you store them make sure you have a good, tight container to put them in. Mice and other rodents love to turn these into their personal condos and will ruin the bunch in a short period of time.
As for calls, I use the same as I do for any other dekes. A home tuned Tim Grounds snow/speck call is my mainstay though it is different from the current model. I also have a Buck Gardner that is used on occasion though I seem to be the only one who can make snow like noises on it. I must be doing something wrong according to everyone else. I have another half dozen or so that I can't think of but they all make the rounds with me. On some days some are easier for me to use for some reason so I make sure they are all on hand. I have used electronic callers a fair amount and rags work with them as well as any other decoy. callers are not a magic wand that pulls birds in, you still need to be where the birds want to be.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
well said uglydog. I like to use rags to make the spread look bigger. I use full bodies with shells and fill in the gaps with rags just to make the spread look big. I like to put the rags in the front and middle of spread and my best looking deks were the birds are going to land.

·
Registered
76 Posts
In the rice fields around eagle lake, tx., we use almost exclusively, rags...bout a thousand. Easy to put up with 6 or more guys. Mostly the whites in the middle, with groups of ten or so darks on the outskirts or at the upwind leg of the spread. Try to keep them about ten feet apart. The hardbodies are nice but a pain inthe butt sometimes...the best hunting we had so far this year, were rags, only. If it's raining or no wind, however...you are screwed with the rags...so we always have the shells for a backup.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Great advice guys. When you are hunting stalks (corn stuble) you don't want rags. They move from side to side and tear very easy. Also when the wind is up over 10 mph or hard enough to get them making that sound, (like you are shaking a trash bag up and down) I get them out of the spread. Shells, full bodies, silios and other type of decoys also work and help make the spread look more realistic. Also don't forget to make sure you are covered up and blend in with your surroundings.

I have a Johnny Stewart electric caller that does ok. Make your own I also use a Foiles call for singles and smaller groups. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.