Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That I live in the U.S.A.

I want it understood that I am NOT in any way putting down the other places you gents come from. It's just that after reading some of your posts, and all of the hassle it is for you to own a gun, the few things I deal with to get a gun seem very mild.

I know other states (CA, etc.) are more restrictive and all, but still not like some of you guys got it. My hat is off to you fellows in the other parts of the world that enjoy your/our sport enough to go through the red tape.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,115 Posts
here-here!

there's not a time here reading posts like the ones you describe that i'm thankful not only for the USA but for states like Vermont with minimal overbearances on the right to own, keep and carry firearms...

except for the guy from new zealand ??? who shared that you can't buy a shot bbl SG but you can buy an 18 inch and bob it to suit...

and excpet for the strange rule that supressors are not legal in VT ($50 fine?) even with all the federal red tape embraced...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Living in CA, I sometimes feel like purchasing firearms is more complicated than understanding quantum mechanics... but in the end, and having lived over-seas, I know that we've got it better here. Keep fighting the good fight, our international bretheren!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
451 Posts
except for the guy from new zealand ??? who shared that you can't buy a shot bbl SG but you can buy an 18 inch and bob it to suit...
That is correct!!! Import restrictions say that the bbl must be >18" but law states the OAL must be >30".

We do have very strict restrictions are on handguns and semi-automatic weapons.

I feel sorry for the Australians. If our govt ever passes laws like that I am packing my bags and moving to the states.

EDITED: I hereby withdraw my statement about feeling sorry for the Australians :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
937 Posts
Granted. . . the (gun) laws in these United States are a lot better than some/most countries.

It has only been through vigilance and tough (factual) response(s) to the ever present, ever dedicated mis-guided gun-grabbers that we have been able to keep our Second Amendment rights.

Here, in Maryland, our gun rights are always under attack.
But, there's a way to turn that around (to our benefit).
For example, we are 'allowed' to purchase one (1) handgun a month.
To turn this around, I say. . . ."Honey, the law says that I have to buy one handgun a month!"

No politics meant or intended.

God Bless the United States.

Keith
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,115 Posts
and her response is????? 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
937 Posts
'Pilot,

It is verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry difficult to put into words the look from my darlin' wife.

She does know that I'm making a point and that (for the most part) I am 'kidding', but, she also knows that when I've done my homework on something (a purchase, for example) that no matter what she 'says' that I too, make a decent wage, the bills are paid and that all of the necessary life sustaining items are taken care of, first.
(Now, up to this point, she doesn't really know about the $50 per week that I put aside, for my 'purchases'.)

All in all. . . . my wife is very understanding. :)

We do however, occasionally discuss that I only have two hands, so, why do I have so many firearms. . . and, she only has two feet. . . and why she has so many pairs of shoes! Ha! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,115 Posts
ta-da!!!!

the "shoes" maneuver... a tactical conversation masterpiece...

mmmmmmm... rubbing his hands with glee...

$50 a week? won;t take too long to build up a nice nest egg, eh?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried that shoes thing...my wife is too smart for me. She replied, "At least I use the shoes for something." I wanted to scream. I haven't been able to go shooting/hunting for a while due to various circumstances, so I was sorta' whipped at that point. :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
soonerpgh said:
She replied, "At least I use the shoes for something."
I don't have a wife, but if we opperate under the assumption that, at the base level, all women are similar enough to say they're identical (which would get me in SO much trouble if there were any females here on the Tac Forum). She has to have at least ONE pair of shoes, or a dress, that has been worn once and therefore cannot be worn again. Something like that.
BUT, it's one of those battles you have to wonder if it's worth fighting. There's a lot to lose, and little to win... :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,858 Posts
my wife has no idea how many guns I own, nor does she care. She never says anything when I buy another one. She knows I have a several because she is usually the one who signs for them when UPS drops them off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Banshee said:
my wife has no idea how many guns I own, nor does she care. She never says anything when I buy another one. She knows I have a several because she is usually the one who signs for them when UPS drops them off.
There will be a day when that is the case with my wife as well. Right now, I am going to school, working a piddly job at the school, and getting disability. She works and brings in most of the money so she feels entitled to control it. I don't have too many problems with that, really. I just know the tide is about to turn. I am almost finished with school, then the road gets much smoother in the financial department.

We have certain specific goals in mind that we feel must be met. After we have met those goals, we will make several accounts, hers, mine, ours and kids. "Ours" is for bills and family stuff (vacations, etc.) "Hers" and "mine" for what we want. "Kids" for braces, college, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
You may want to try the golf arguement. "You can't play a round of golf with just one club." You certainly can't get through a hunting season with just one gun. None of them work for long, but if you keep being creative, you'll be surprised at how many guns you end up with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Where I live I have to apply for a "permit to acquire"(PTA) every time I want to buy a new gun that's $30 my class AB firearms licence fees are $200 per 5 years, in order to hunt game (deer etc) I need a NSW Game licence another $60 a year and have to be a member of one of there "approved clubs" $60-$200 a year. Oh and a category H licence (pistol) is an additional $100 per year and my VIC Game licence is $41.90 per year, a NT game licence is further $10 per year and we have a $150-$200 tax on all imported firearms.
When you add to all of that the fact that they took all of our semi auto and rifles and shotguns as well as pump actioned shotguns away from us in order to make the community safe from criminals.? (Even though they got to keep there's) now you need a special licence as a professional hunter to get one and it's damn hard to get.
Oh and every time you move state you have to get your firearms "sighted" by a cop or gun dealer $15 each so that their registration can be transferred to the new state. And lets not forget that before your PTA is approved you have to book a cop to come and inspect your storage facility to insure that it meets the minimum safe storage requirements. I know that there are a lot of things I haven't mentioned but then again the firearms registry officers don't usually have a clue either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,858 Posts
260rem said:
Where I live I have to apply for a "permit to acquire"(PTA) every time I want to buy a new gun that's $30 my class AB firearms licence fees are $200 per 5 years, in order to hunt game (deer etc) I need a NSW Game licence another $60 a year and have to be a member of one of there "approved clubs" $60-$200 a year. Oh and a category H licence (pistol) is an additional $100 per year and my VIC Game licence is $41.90 per year, a NT game licence is further $10 per year and we have a $150-$200 tax on all imported firearms.
When you add to all of that the fact that they took all of our semi auto and rifles and shotguns as well as pump actioned shotguns away from us in order to make the community safe from criminals.? (Even though they got to keep there's) now you need a special licence as a professional hunter to get one and it's damn hard to get.
Oh and every time you move state you have to get your firearms "sighted" by a cop or gun dealer $15 each so that their registration can be transferred to the new state. And lets not forget that before your PTA is approved you have to book a cop to come and inspect your storage facility to insure that it meets the minimum safe storage requirements. I know that there are a lot of things I haven't mentioned but then again the firearms registry officers don't usually have a clue either.
man that sucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
937 Posts
870pilot said:
ta-da!!!!

the "shoes" maneuver... a tactical conversation masterpiece...

mmmmmmm... rubbing his hands with glee...

$50 a week? won;t take too long to build up a nice nest egg, eh?
The major problem with KEEPING that money put away is, there is always a birthday, an anniversary, or 'something' going on in the family that just sorta has a way of 'forcing me' to go to the Credit Union and draw some of it out, to take care of things.

All in all, my wife is very understanding about my firearms, all kidding aside.
Since our youngest son (the 10 yr. old) has shown an interest in target shooting and the desire to learn to shoot Trap, my wife is even 'more forgiving'. Plus, she wants to learn to shoot a scattergun, too.
Her words, "Hmmmmmmmmm. I think that I might like to do that. That looks like a good family sport."
Of course, she was talking about shooting Trap.

Thanks for letting me digress from the subject line.

260rem. . . It sounds like you have one heck of a time trying to 'stay legal' down there. Bless you.

EDIT: 2/10/06 Holy Money-Bags, Batman!!!!!
I just caught what I wrote!!!!!
There is NO WAY I can put away $50 a week!!!! I meant $50 a MONTH!!!!!!!
Puh-leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzze pardon the typo!!!
(I wish I could put away that kind of money.) :(

Keith
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
No sucks was back in 96 when things started to go bad, we were getting violated then but at the moment it's worse there even stoping the posting of firearm related parts. (I.e. triggers bolts etc)
Yet 20 or more criminals can stand out the front of a mosque and wave Illegal Glocks in the air and go on rampages smashing shops and cars and the cops won't do a thing to stop it because they don't want to escalate the situation any further.
But if they do a weapons inspection at my house and they find 1 round not locked up then they can take my licence and my guns and I have to go to court to try and get them back.
The moral of this story is don't think it can't happen to you we were law abiding citizens that never thought it would happen to us, and wham overnight just like that you cop it, and there's not enough preparation H in all the world to numb the pain of the fisting that your elected decided to give you.
I would have less trouble if I sold my guns handed in my licence and went out and bought a Glock and a couple of AK's and maybe a Spas 12 on the quiet.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top