Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been blessed the past four years to be invited to SD pheasant hunting. Earlier this year I was fortunate to purchase a 1953 A-5 12 gauge that had been my uncle's. Before he passed away he sold most of his guns to one of us nephews. Now my cousin is no longer able to hunt and was gracious enough to sell me Uncle Woody's old Browning. The gun is far from perfect condition but knowing all the wear, scratches, and love marks come from years in the field at the hands of one of the men who were instrumental in developing my passion for the outdoors. We left the Friday after Thanksgiving and spent the whole day on the road…1,000 miles. We hunted Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, returning on Tuesday. This year I decided to leave the Benelli in the truck and tote my family heirloom. My hunting companions did a double take when I uncased the humpback. Most gave me a good teasing about hunting with an antique and offered to loan me their gun to get my limit for the day when I was done playing around with the Browning. Well needless to say guess who was the first to limit out? You guessed it! Several times I had one shot kills that I waited until everyone was done shooting and then boom the Browning goes off and the rooter falls to the ground. Needless to say this hunt took on a special meaning. My eyes drinking in the SD prairie, the already comfortable heft of the A-5 in my hands, my Filson vest filled with three roosters, a good dog by my side…life doesn't get much better than this. I also want to thank each of you who have helped me over the past few months with questions on this gun and helping to quench my desire for knowledge about these wonderful guns. I have attempeted to post a picture from the hunt. Hope it works.

[/img]

·
Registered
962 Posts
MattyD said:
... ... Needless to say this hunt took on a special meaning. My eyes drinking in the SD prairie, the already comfortable heft of the A-5 in my hands, my Filson vest filled with three roosters, a good dog by my side…life doesn't get much better than this. ...
Plus your memories will last forever, no, it doesn't get much better, do we live in a great country or what??
Ross

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.