Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a question I've been wondering about the 2000. The light weight + heavy magnum loads can make the recoil uncomfortable. Would there be any problems if a guy were to put some weight into that hollow stock in an attempt to reduce felt recoil? Would it even work?

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I weighted my stock by cramming in 2 plastic grocery bags with a long wooden spoon handle,then added a ziploc bag of used wheel weights from my local service station. Then cram in more grocery bags until solid. I started with 13 oz. of weight, but have reduced it to about 10. Just trial and error, till it felt the best. This seems to make the gun better balanced and takes away that "hollow" feeling that they have. Best of all, the total cost was $0.00! I'm not sure if it helps with felt recoil or not. I installed a Limbsaver recoil pad. That was the best thing I could have done for this gun. It reduced felt recoil so much that it's hard to believe it is the same gun. You have to shoot it right before and immediately after to believe it! Just my guess-I would say it reduced felt recoil 40%. The Limbsaver has dual sealed air chambers that are also designed to help eliminate muzzle jump, but I never noticed this as a problem, anyway. These two things took me from liking my 2000 to liking it A LOT!

·
Premium Member
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I stuck a lot of weight in mine, and it certainly helps with recoil. It doesn't do much for the balance of the gun, though. Heh. I might have to try that Limbsaver idea.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I bought a Limbsaver pad and I love it now and can shoot slugs all day long and still feel good after doing so! before I bought the limbsaver I had put a plastic bag into the stock and wraped a few of those duck decoy weights into the stock and then toped it off with another bag and that worked fine but like others have said it does make the balance a little off and of course the gun will be heavyer. So if you do the decoy weight just use 2 or 3 of the 6 oz. weights. any more and wow you will have a real anchor!!!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Alos one more thing... Your stoeger 2000 stock is ready for a mercury filled recoil reducer that is 13 oz. They do cost more then a limbsaver or any home made recoil reducer's but it is one more way of taming the recoil. and you maybe able to but a recoil reducer that fits in the magazine tube in place of your "duck plug".

·
Registered
130 Posts
I got some high density upholsterers foam (they'll usually just give you a scrap) and cut it into pieces and jammed it in there. I also added some copper BBs but took some out, and I think I'll take the rest out. With the limbsaver and the foam, that is enough weight for me.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Oh Get the pre-fit from Cabelas is where I got mine from, and the number is #10008 and it fit's nice. Just got to limbsaver.com and got to the cross Reference chart. then you will be able to order yours from anyone that sells the limbsaver pads!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I don't own a Stoeger 2000 but can attest for the effectiveness of the Limbsaver pads- I have a 45-70 that used to be absolutlely brutal to sight in with my favorite elk load- put a prefit Limbsaver on it and now it feels like shooting a 30-06!

·
Premium Member
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So here's what Limbsaver has on their website:

Manf...........Model..................................Subtype.......Model Number
Stoeger......Most 12 gauge models.........Synthetic.....10401
Stoeger......M2000 and P-350 pump........Synthetic.....10008

Mine is the white bead synthetic M2000 model. Which do I get?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was wondering myself if I should get the mercury reducer, go the homemade way, or get a Limbsaver recoil pad for the 2000.

Right now I can shoot slugs and buckshot regularly with the stock pad, but after shooting 3in. 2oz turkey loads and heavy waterfowl loads, I could see a flinch developing in the future.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I used the 10008 and it fit perfectly on my Max 4 synthetic model. I added some weight but after hunting pheasants, I am taking it out. With the limbsaver it doesn't really need it, and any weight I can get rid of the better. I'm going to leave the foam in so it doesn't feel and sound so hollow.

·
Premium Member
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's what I've done so far: Originally I just dumped a bunch of BB gun BBs and bolts and washers in there. It was awkward and rattle-y. Totally aesthetically unappealing, so I just took all that out.

Then I took a few plastic grocery bags and stuffed them down into the base of the stock with a screwdriver, nice and tight, enough to cover up the buttstock screw. Then I took a handful of 180 gr. 40 cal bullets (bullets not rounds, I figured I'd never load those because the only 40 I've got is a Glock) and dropped them in. Then I put another plastic shopping bag on top of that, jammed it down with the screwdriver. Then another handful of bullets, another bag, alternating until I put right around 100 bullets in there, then capped it off with a few more plastic bags. It's completely silent and feels more balanced. I like it.

I've got a limbsaver pad on the way, so I'm not quite done yet! Heh.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts