Shotgun Forum banner

The 2006 Remington 1100 Competition Gun

4K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  WinM12 
#1 ·
The "new" Remington autoloader has arrived:

http://www.remington.com/firearms/shotg ... tition.htm

However, it seems to be a blending of some 90's vintage Remingtons...such as the nickel finish receiver and overbored barrel.

$1250 for the "base" model and $1450 for the adj comb version. :shock:

I'll hold off until I can see one in person. For now, I'm glad I bought my Sporting 12 and Classic Trap 1100s when I did...

Discussion starter · #3 ·
ShootingStar said:
Why is it these websites always seem to have the smallest possible picture of the gun? :x It looks like a "thumbnail" image. Oh well, at more than $1000 for an 1100, I wouldn't buy one anyway.
You can view larger photos on their .pdf catalog:

http://www.remington.com/2006spring/new.htm

I'm not sure any autoloader is worth more than $1000, but I appreciate Remington's effort to revitalize their target grade guns. Buy American! (while you still can... :wink: )

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Like most guns with overbored barrels, the 1100 Competition will have specialty choke tubes. Therefore, the inexpensive and widely available "Rem-Chokes" will not work in the 1100 Competition. The overbored Remington trap guns of the 1990s also had "specialty" chokes to deliver the proper constriction. Not surprisingly, Browning did the same thing when the Invector Plus choke tubes supplanted the standard Invector tubes on their target grade guns. I believe Beretta offers several different types of unique choke tubes on their current production guns (Mobilchoke, Optima and Optima Plus).

When it comes to choke tubes, I think today's manufacturers want us to "collect 'em all". :wink: Dare I tell them that my Model 12 Trap has a fixed "full" choke and can still break the targets just fine?

With all the recent talk about the value of stock shims, I wonder what they do to the wood/metal fit? I value a well fitting gun, but I wonder if manufacturers can make them graceful?

As for the price - today's Sporting 12 and Classic Trap have list prices of $900-$935, and sell for $700-$800. So I doubt if the new 1100 Competition will be discounted to anything below 15-20% (roughly putting the selling price $1000-$1200). It's obvious that with the introduction of the 1100 Competition, Remington has set their sights on Beretta's 391 Teknys Gold - which itself has a MSRP of $1895. :shock: On a price basis alone, the Remington seems the better deal.

I guess the good news is that my 1100 Sporting 12 now looks like a downright bargain! :D

Discussion starter · #13 ·
The new 1100 Competition is an upgraded Sporting 12 - just as the Beretta 391 Teknys Gold and Browning Gold "Golden Clays" are simply deluxe versions of their respective standard sporting grade guns. The Remington 1100Comp's average list price is actually very competitive at $1350, since the Beretta and Browning list prices are each closer to $1800. However, in all three cases, a standard target model would be the better value. But just as GM makes more profit on a Cadillac Escalade than a Chevy Tahoe, I'm sure that gun manufacturers can't resist offering higher priced editions. :wink:

I doubt Beretta or Browning sell many of their high end autoloaders, and Remington may follow suit. But these deluxe guns do lend some prestige to each family of autoloaders. That alone may make it worthwhile to market these guns.

The nickel/Teflon coating used on the receiver and some internals of the 1100 Competition sounds similar to the coating Remington uses on parts of their 597 rimfire rifle. I have a base model 597, and find it surprisingly accurate for a low end 22LR. After a few thousand rounds, I haven't seen any noticable wear of the coating. That's not to say it won't happen. :wink: However, the 1100 has a 40+ year history of clay target performance without this coating, so I'm curious to see what it contributes. Remington also says that they perform extra polishing on the internal parts of the 1100Comp. I looked closely at their .pdf catalog pictures - it looks like they've also re-designed the bolt.

If I didn't already own an 1100 Sporting 12, along with two other Remington autoloaders, I might consider this new one. However, I think that once I get to examine one, I'd feel comfortable recommending the 1100Comp to anyone looking for a "high end" autoloader.

Discussion starter · #18 ·
TexasTon said:
Where has caused all this gaudy looking stuff to come? Anyone ever tell them "less is more"?

Or is all this for the young crowd, I mean, that would surely appeal to someone with eye/ear/nose piercings?
I agree with you - less is more. I like pumps and semi-autos to have blued receivers, and break action guns to have color case hardened receivers.

However, the factory shotgun with the highest "bling" factor has to be the new Winchester Super X2 Signature II, with its red anodized receiver and black metallic fleck painted stock:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/ ... 2&cat=009C

No word if Winchester will offer a rhinestone case for it... :wink:

Discussion starter · #25 ·
island66 said:
Guys, when you talk about adding shims to an 1100 stock, you must remember that you've got an action spring tube hanging off the back of the receiver. This tube fits tight inside a hole in the buttstock, so changes to pitch or cast really can't be made without major alterations to the stock.
Very good point - I own two 1100s, and should have thought of that sooner. :?

I assume that the brands of semi-autos that offer shim adjustments (Browning, Beretta, etc.) use some sort of bolt buffer instead of an action spring?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.