Shotgun Forum banner

The 2006 Remington 1100 Competition Gun

4K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  WinM12 
#1 ·
The "new" Remington autoloader has arrived:

http://www.remington.com/firearms/shotg ... tition.htm

However, it seems to be a blending of some 90's vintage Remingtons...such as the nickel finish receiver and overbored barrel.

$1250 for the "base" model and $1450 for the adj comb version. :shock:

I'll hold off until I can see one in person. For now, I'm glad I bought my Sporting 12 and Classic Trap 1100s when I did...

#2 ·
Why is it these websites always seem to have the smallest possible picture of the gun? :x It looks like a "thumbnail" image. Oh well, at more than $1000 for an 1100, I wouldn't buy one anyway.

#3 ·
ShootingStar said:
Why is it these websites always seem to have the smallest possible picture of the gun? :x It looks like a "thumbnail" image. Oh well, at more than $1000 for an 1100, I wouldn't buy one anyway.
You can view larger photos on their .pdf catalog:

http://www.remington.com/2006spring/new.htm

I'm not sure any autoloader is worth more than $1000, but I appreciate Remington's effort to revitalize their target grade guns. Buy American! (while you still can... :wink: )

#4 ·
WinM12 said:
I'm not sure any autoloader is worth more than $1000, but I appreciate Remington's effort to revitalize their target grade guns. Buy American!
Agreed, and don't get me wrong - I'm a fan of the 1100. Even used to shoot 'em in all 4 skeet gauges :wink: , but I wouldn't go for an almost $1500 one over a decent used $400 gun. I just don't see that much more added value, but if I had pick one, I'd definately go with the 1100 over any Beretta semi-auto.

#5 ·
Question: If the barrel is bored out to .735", does it still use the standard Rem Chokes? If so, then the barrel must taper down to about .727 prior to the choke tube or else you would have about .008" constriction with a Cylinder choke in the gun. That might make it hard to get open patterns with. Also, when they increased the ID of the barrel, did they also increase the OD an equal amount? If so, this will make for a heavier barrel than what is on the present 1100's of similar barrel length.

Secondly, I don't really see much, if any, improvement over the standard 1100 Sporting or 1100 Classic Trap. Yeah, the nickel receiver looks a little better than the blue receiver, IMO, but that doesn't justify a $500 price increase.

Another drawback (compared to the Berettas and Brownings) is that the 1100 still has no shims to adjust the buttstock for cast or drop.

I don't mean to sound like a wet blanket, but unless the "street price" on these guns is around $700 for the non-adjustable rib version, then I doubt Remington will sell many of them. Based on what I've seen, I'd much rather pay $700 for an 1100 Classic Trap than $1,000+ for one of these.

EDITED: I see that they say the gun comes with new "Pro Bore" Choke tubes. I assume these are larger diameter than the Rem Chokes, so that means that if you have a whole sh*tpot full of Rem Chokes, they won't be usable in this gun. And vice versa. These new chokes won't be usable in your Rem Choke guns.

#6 ·
Ulysses said:
Question: If the barrel is bored out to .735", does it still use the standard Rem Chokes?
Website says: NOTE: ProBore™ chokes are not interchangeable with Rem™ Chokes.

Ulysses said:
...unless the "street price" on these guns is around $700 for the non-adjustable rib version, then I doubt Remington will sell many of them.
I'm not finding anything about an "adjustable rib", but maybe meant adjustable comb? You're right about the shim thing. Seems it would have been an easy, cost effective feature worth adding. Probably felt they wouldn't be able to charge for it like they can the comb.

#7 ·
Thanks, Mark. I meant adjustable "comb". :oops: :oops: Danged, I was thinking one thing and wrote something else. :oops:

#8 ·
Like most guns with overbored barrels, the 1100 Competition will have specialty choke tubes. Therefore, the inexpensive and widely available "Rem-Chokes" will not work in the 1100 Competition. The overbored Remington trap guns of the 1990s also had "specialty" chokes to deliver the proper constriction. Not surprisingly, Browning did the same thing when the Invector Plus choke tubes supplanted the standard Invector tubes on their target grade guns. I believe Beretta offers several different types of unique choke tubes on their current production guns (Mobilchoke, Optima and Optima Plus).

When it comes to choke tubes, I think today's manufacturers want us to "collect 'em all". :wink: Dare I tell them that my Model 12 Trap has a fixed "full" choke and can still break the targets just fine?

With all the recent talk about the value of stock shims, I wonder what they do to the wood/metal fit? I value a well fitting gun, but I wonder if manufacturers can make them graceful?

As for the price - today's Sporting 12 and Classic Trap have list prices of $900-$935, and sell for $700-$800. So I doubt if the new 1100 Competition will be discounted to anything below 15-20% (roughly putting the selling price $1000-$1200). It's obvious that with the introduction of the 1100 Competition, Remington has set their sights on Beretta's 391 Teknys Gold - which itself has a MSRP of $1895. :shock: On a price basis alone, the Remington seems the better deal.

I guess the good news is that my 1100 Sporting 12 now looks like a downright bargain! :D

#10 ·
WinM12 said:
With all the recent talk about the value of stock shims, I wonder what they do to the wood/metal fit? I value a well fitting gun, but I wonder if manufacturers can make them graceful?
The shims do absolutely nothing negative or distasteful to the appearance of the gun, IMO. In fact, they are so thin that you have to look hard to see them. If someone handed you a gun to look at and then after you looked at it they asked you if the gun had shims, you would probably be hard pressed to remember if you even saw the shims or not unless you made it a specific point to look for them.

#11 ·
Heck, I like it. :) I don't need shims with Remingtons. They already fit me well. I also like the fact that it is a NON-ported bbl, and the "idea" of teflon coated internal parts is smart if it really does make things "slicker."

Looks like they're trying to compete with the 391 Gold Sporting and even Teknys Gold?

#12 ·
coachf said:
Heck, I like it. :) I don't need shims with Remingtons. They already fit me well. I also like the fact that it is a NON-ported bbl, and the "idea" of teflon coated internal parts is smart if it really does make things "slicker."

Looks like they're trying to compete with the 391 Gold Sporting and even Teknys Gold?
I would estimate that the Rem 1100's probably provide a reasonable fit for about 40% of the American adult males. That still leaves about 60% of the American adult males that it doesn't fit very well...... plus a much greater percentage of the females and youths that need not only a different LOP, but also different drop and/or cast in most cases.

As to teflon, the Breakfree CLP and Rem Oil both contain teflon so why try to put it on permanently? Also, if you've looked at any old skillets that are teflon coated, you'll see that the coating often starts flaking and peeling off after a year or two of use. I don't think I'd want my gun looking like the bottom of some of the teflon skillets I've seen. :wink:

#13 ·
The new 1100 Competition is an upgraded Sporting 12 - just as the Beretta 391 Teknys Gold and Browning Gold "Golden Clays" are simply deluxe versions of their respective standard sporting grade guns. The Remington 1100Comp's average list price is actually very competitive at $1350, since the Beretta and Browning list prices are each closer to $1800. However, in all three cases, a standard target model would be the better value. But just as GM makes more profit on a Cadillac Escalade than a Chevy Tahoe, I'm sure that gun manufacturers can't resist offering higher priced editions. :wink:

I doubt Beretta or Browning sell many of their high end autoloaders, and Remington may follow suit. But these deluxe guns do lend some prestige to each family of autoloaders. That alone may make it worthwhile to market these guns.

The nickel/Teflon coating used on the receiver and some internals of the 1100 Competition sounds similar to the coating Remington uses on parts of their 597 rimfire rifle. I have a base model 597, and find it surprisingly accurate for a low end 22LR. After a few thousand rounds, I haven't seen any noticable wear of the coating. That's not to say it won't happen. :wink: However, the 1100 has a 40+ year history of clay target performance without this coating, so I'm curious to see what it contributes. Remington also says that they perform extra polishing on the internal parts of the 1100Comp. I looked closely at their .pdf catalog pictures - it looks like they've also re-designed the bolt.

If I didn't already own an 1100 Sporting 12, along with two other Remington autoloaders, I might consider this new one. However, I think that once I get to examine one, I'd feel comfortable recommending the 1100Comp to anyone looking for a "high end" autoloader.

#14 ·
WinM12 said:
I doubt Beretta or Browning sell many of their high end autoloaders, and Remington may follow suit. But these deluxe guns do lend some prestige to each family of autoloaders. That alone may make it worthwhile to market these guns.
I posed a question through the Remington Help Center, basically, "Is this new gun a replacement for some models or a supplement.

Here is the answer I received direct from Remington;

Thank you for your inquiry. The new 1100 is a supplement and we do not fore-see deleting other models after this introduction.

#15 ·
Where has caused all this gaudy looking stuff to come? Must be my age but I would prefer "Competiton" to be at the front of the receiver in small stenciled 1/8" letters, isn't the receiver enough difference to draw attention to it.

Bout like the Teknys-----to me at least, what an ugly POS with that blue plastic insert and scroll work. Anyone ever tell them "less is more"?

Or is all this for the young crowd, I mean, that would surely appeal to someone with eye/ear/nose piercings?

I must be menopausal :roll: :wink:

#16 ·
The 1100 Competition looks fine and is evidence that Remington knows what we've been doing to all those vintage 1100 field guns before shooting them in competition.

I nearly fell of the bench when I saw a deadly serious skeet shooter pull out his K gun and his K1100 the other day. Shot one round with the O/U and rest with his worked over 1100 field. He liked "feel" of the 1100 better :roll:

Stock shims--only need them when the "sporting clays" stock is so fat that it needs to be moved out of the way of my pudgy cheek. For me the 1100 needs no shims. Brownings 525 or a Weatherby SC have thicker stocks. Beretta Urika, no need, Extrema needs shims.

Of the recent crop of high tech semi-auto's the Benelli Competition is very nice--trim, carbon fiber, recoil reducing stock all for about $1800.00. This one continues to tempt me.

But 1100 Competition may end up on the range with me because I still shoot 1100s or 870s beter than many of the shotguns I've had the pleasure to shoot.

#17 ·
TexasTon said:
Bout like the Teknys-----to me at least, what an ugly POS with that blue plastic insert and scroll work. Anyone ever tell them "less is more"?

Or is all this for the young crowd, I mean, that would surely appeal to someone with eye/ear/nose piercings?
I know what you mean, that was baically my reaction when I first saw a Teknys.

When it comes to the 1100's, my preference leans heavily to the Sporting 12 or the Classic Trap (for trap) over the 2006 Remington 1100 Competition Gun.

However, I have read heavy criticism on internet forums "that Remington should update their autoloaders". So they have tried that, time will tell how they are received.

Fortunately, as per my post of Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:37 pm on this thread, it appears Remington intends to continue with the more traditionaly finished 1100's. For me, that is good news because that is what I gravitate towards.

#18 ·
TexasTon said:
Where has caused all this gaudy looking stuff to come? Anyone ever tell them "less is more"?

I agree with you - less is more. I like pumps and semi-autos to have blued receivers, and break action guns to have color case hardened receivers.

However, the factory shotgun with the highest "bling" factor has to be the new Winchester Super X2 Signature II, with its red anodized receiver and black metallic fleck painted stock:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/ ... 2&cat=009C

No word if Winchester will offer a rhinestone case for it... :wink:

#19 ·
Ulysses said:
As to teflon, the Breakfree CLP and Rem Oil both contain teflon so why try to put it on permanently? Also, if you've looked at any old skillets that are teflon coated, you'll see that the coating often starts flaking and peeling off after a year or two of use. I don't think I'd want my gun looking like the bottom of some of the teflon skillets I've seen. :wink:
With regaurds to the several people who have questioned the Nickle-Teflon reciever assembly, I too had questions regaurding it's utility and durability. I made mention of the new 1100 to my father (who runs a plating shop) and he said it's not so much a teflon "coating" as it is teflon impregnated into the nickle plating, and he seemed to think it would make the parts easier to clean, and felt that if done correctly it wouldent suffer any undue wear. So it looks like finish could actually be beneficial to functionality as well as appearance.

#20 ·
The teflon coating refered to is not like the sprayed on cooking pans. I have a beretta pistol that has a nickel /teflon finish. its a matte silver color and smooth. The teflon is impregnated in the coating and makes it easy to clean. The surface is smoother than normal steel and wears great. Not sure if this applies to that finish, but i'm sure its close to it.

#23 ·
The only down-side I see to the 1100 competition gun is that it is scheduled for Spring 2006 introduction, so I cannot get one for my birthday..... :(

#24 ·
Guys, when you talk about adding shims to an 1100 stock, you must remember that you've got an action spring tube hanging off the back of the receiver. This tube fits tight inside a hole in the buttstock, so changes to pitch or cast really can't be made without major alterations to the stock.

#25 ·
island66 said:
Guys, when you talk about adding shims to an 1100 stock, you must remember that you've got an action spring tube hanging off the back of the receiver. This tube fits tight inside a hole in the buttstock, so changes to pitch or cast really can't be made without major alterations to the stock.
Very good point - I own two 1100s, and should have thought of that sooner. :?

I assume that the brands of semi-autos that offer shim adjustments (Browning, Beretta, etc.) use some sort of bolt buffer instead of an action spring?

#26 ·
WinM12 said:
I assume that the brands of semi-autos that offer shim adjustments (Browning, Beretta, etc.) use some sort of bolt buffer instead of an action spring?
Nope, they use action springs too. A bolt buffer in the rear of the receiver wouldn't come close to taking the place of an action spring. The Berettas (and probably the Brownings too) have a plate that goes inside the stock. The plate must be matched up with the appropriate shim that goes between the receiver and the stock. Each plate has the center hole in it drilled a little off center to match up with the shim that is being used. The stocks on the Berettas and Brownings just have the hole for the action spring tube big enough so that the stock can be shifted a little without interfering with the action tube.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.