Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Been reading this forum for awhile and have a question that most of you have probably already answered more times than your wife has yelled at you, but i could use some advise....

I am looking for my first SG ever and for home defense. I have done extensive research and asked numerous people about which one to get for the money and reliabilty.

I have pretty much narrowed it to the Mossberg 500 and the Remmington 870. (ofcourse)

I need a gun that will be 100% there for me if i need it in a defense situation but would also be fun to shot recreationally.

Thoughts??

MWM

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Either one will work. Personally, I'd pick the 870. Buy it with the full stock not the pistol grip only. You can buy it with the 18 inch barrel for SD and then buy a 26 or 28 inch with remchokes to use for hunting or clays.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
SO ILL said:
I have pretty much narrowed it to the Mossberg 500 and the Remmington 870. (ofcourse) I need a gun that will be 100% there for me if i need it in a defense situation but would also be fun to shot recreationally.
Thoughts?? MWM
Do you mean between the 500 and the 870? Try to shoot both or at least shoulder both, preferably side-by-side, and go with the one that you like the best. They are both reliable and fun to shoot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
txgolfer45 said:
Either one will work. Personally, I'd pick the 870. Buy it with the full stock not the pistol grip only. You can buy it with the 18 inch barrel for SD and then buy a 26 or 28 inch with remchokes to use for hunting or clays.
Yeah i followed your post on your first shotgun and noticed you went with a Remy...but not the 870 right?

I found the mossy 500 "3-in-1" with two barrells on the impact guns website for only $299 and figured i counldnt go wrong...but i have this ich for an 870 because i have had people say they are better but also a little more expensive.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
My first shotgun was a Remington 11-87 semi-auto. But, I also own two 870 Express as well, one in 12ga and the othr in 20 ga. None are configured for home defense per se. They all have 26 or 28 inch barrels. I bought them 3 - 4 yrs ago. Combined they cost $1000 new in box.

I have configured my 12 ga 870 for turkey and deer hunting. My 20 ga 870 and 11-87 are stock with no changes.

I like the looks of the new model 870's with the laminate stock. My 870's have the lsss attractive wood stocks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am a Dyed in the wool 870 fan but if i had no shotgun and the money to spend on one...knowing what i know now...i'd look for a Mossberg 590A1. Second to that an 870P or older wingmaster (better quality). Currently i own an 11-87 and am pretty tickled with it. But for pump when the time(and checking account) comes i'll be gettin a 590A1.

i shiver to think of owning a mossberg...

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I think Austin had it right. Try shouldering them both side by side and see which one fits you better. They are both great guns so you can't really go wrong with either one. The "870 is better" argument is much like the Ford/Chevy argument. It's a matter of opinion and not much else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice guys....

I have gotten the feeling this debate will go on forever...and yeah like the chevy/ford thing....

I guess in the end it will be just what i like the feel of.

Maybe when I pay off my mortgage I will be able to get one of each :lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok....so i decided to throw another gun in the mix for opinions...the Benelli Nova pump (tactical option with 18.5")

I know Benelli is a good gun and this model is supprisingly cheaper than i imagined...the only real downside i see is some plastic and only a 4+1. Is 5 shots enough?

thanks guys,

I'm killing myself waiting to get this thing....prolly be after christmas though due to a recent xbox 360 purchase :roll:

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
SO ILL said:
Ok....so i decided to throw another gun in the mix for opinions...the Benelli Nova pump (tactical option with 18.5")
Same answer - shoot or at least shoulder them all and buy the one you like/fits you best. They all work and they all are fun.

Guys, there is no right or wrong answer here and it is not an essay question - go with the one you like and don't pay any attention to what anybody else says. They all work and they all are fun!

·
Registered
9 Posts
SO ILL:
I too am in the same situation as you. Or at least I was until yesterday. When I picked up my first shotgun.

I did tons of reading on the internet about this, because I was looking for a shotgun that would do three things for me: H.D., 3 gun competition, and fun at the range, including trap & skeet (to make sure I get in lots of practice so I am very comfortable using it in whatever situation).

And of course I wanted to go with the cheapest, cheapest option.

So here's the conclusion I came to: The 870 Police model with ghost ring sights (Remington # 4449) is specifically what I want. I am really just convinced by all the testimonials on the internet that the 870 Police model is the top-of-the-line shotgun in the category I'm looking at (tactical). But I can't really seem to get ahold of one for less than about $850.

The Mossberg 590A1 or 590SP would be a great second choice for a few hundred less. Its still got the ghost ring sights and comes with a larger magazine. And is so close in reputation that my preference for the 870 seems pretty irrational. But the 870 is where my heart lies, for now at least.

Anyway... both of those would require buying a new long barrel with changeable chokes for like $200 more. Which means the total gun I want would end up costing close to a thousand dollars.

So I looked at a couple cheaper options: the Remington Express Combo -- with the 20" smoothbore, imp. cyl. barrel with rifle sights AND the 28" vent rib barrel with Rem Choke (changeable). Order #25571. MSRP: $507.

Or the Mossberg combo with the short and long barrell. (If you're not wedded to Remington, definitely check this out: it's about $300 or less at the local Big 5. A heck of a good deal)

I ultimately decided on the Remington though. The 870 Express Combo. BUT, here's the clincher:

It was actually cheaper for me to buy the basic Remington 870 model # 5568 (28" Vent Rib, Rem Choke barrel) and then order the 20" barrel separately. I got the gun at a local Big 5 for $350 out the door (and I'll get $30 back from Remington from some coupon promotional).

The barrell is $130 (on sale right now) plus about $10 shipping at http://www.midwayusa.com (put "870 Express 12 Gauge 3" 20" Improved Cylinder with Rifle Sights Matte" in the search field on their web site).

That means my total cost is $460 (including tax, DROS, and shipping) for what is essentially the #25571 combo. Which I think saved me at least a few dozen dollars and I didn't need to deal with finding an FFL holder to order a gun to -- I just bought the gun at a store near my house.

My only regret is that it was a big box chain store and not a real gun store, but there aren't many local gun stores in my neck of the woods (Oakland CA).

ONE LAST TIP: if you think you're going to order other stuff for your gun, and you already know what and have the money, it might save you shipping costs to order it from Midway at the same time as you order your second barrel. Like the Spec Ops stock everyone is raving about. I've got it, but haven't yet installed it.

And I won't get a chance to shoot my new gun for two more days. But so far I'm very content with my solution -- the gun is nice to hold and I'm looking forward to putting lots and lots of shells through it as soon as I can.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
The Nova is a great pump gun and there are domestically made mag extensions available. My Nova is awesome, I wouldn't trade it for even an 870P. I got an improved cylinder choke and LPA ghost rings on a shotgun that cost me less than $400. My Nova patterns buckshot great and throws slugs admirably as well. Look at a Nova or SuperNova real hard before you decide. Pay attention to choke and sights. Buying the LPA sights and mounting them is more than half the cost of a Nova with them already on it.

·
Registered
938 Posts
soonerpgh said:
I think Austin had it right. Try shouldering them both side by side and see which one fits you better. They are both great guns so you can't really go wrong with either one. The "870 is better" argument is much like the Ford/Chevy argument. It's a matter of opinion and not much else.
Ford vs. Chevy.

As others have said, and Austin started it. . .
Pick up both. . . shoulder them . . .work the action(s).

Which safety feels more natural to you?
Which stock allows you to put your head on it, and be able to point/aim quickly?

Ford vs. Chevy.

I love Chevy. They treated me wrong after over 3 decades of ownership.
I now drive a Ford.

Mossberg vs. Remington 870.
I had a Mossberg 500. IT was a piece of junk.
I sold it.
The disconnect on the 500 was trash. Cheap, IMNSHO.

I own a BUNCH of Remington shotguns. 870 and 1100.
I've NEVER had a problem with any Remington!

Now. . . . I've (literally) won two Mossbergs this past year.
One was a 500 "Trophy Slugster" with two barrels (ported) and an adjustable stock.
I am ordering an 18" choke tube barrel for this. (Just to have.)

I also won a 500 in .410 bore. This shotgun may be donated to my sportsman's club. . . to raffle off, to put money into our Land and Building Fund.

Neither Mossberg has been out-of-the-box. . . yet.

Bottom line. . . try them both on for size.

No matter what anyone says, YOU have to live with it (for a while, anyway).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Instead of the 870 Express with the 28 in the 870 HD with 18 in, barrel and extended tube (6+1) was a much better choice for me at Sportsman's Warehouse Chattanooga. I added the Rem. (Limbsaver) pad and wasa out the door for a TOTAL of $305.00 and I had a $35.00 rebate. This was several months ago, but I didn't even have to add the 2 shot extension and deal with "dimples" Rem did it for me. I have a 7 shot 12 ga pump that is a bit easier on the shoulder for $270.00. The 18 in barrel is great, and I will probably pickk up a 26-28 in somewhere along the line, but don't really need it. You can buy cherry 870 Express all day long for $225.00, so why not have 2?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Once again thanks for th help....

I finally went to Cabelas today and shouldered a couple of different guns...i really liked a used supernova they had for about 350 if i remember correctly.

After feeling some of them i think the nova might be the way to go....i will let you all know and post some pics as soon as i can get it....like i said before probably after xmas though :cry:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah they are definitely mean looking ....maybe i could just hang it in my front window so nobody would even think about trying to rob the place.... :lol:

when you put a good looking gun together with a good performing gun...i guess you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
24 Posts
SO ILL said:
Yeah they are definitely mean looking ....maybe i could just hang it in my front window so nobody would even think about trying to rob the place.... :lol:

when you put a good looking gun together with a good performing gun...i guess you can't go wrong.
If you hang it your front window, someone will bust the window and steal it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts