Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about having the same Benelli for waterfowling and for clay games. So I currently own a camo SBE 2 (16 yrs now) and shoot it well. Have had a 20 gauge M2 and until last year a 12 ga 30" Super Sport.

So I'm wondering if I can successfully turn a black 28" SBE 2 into a clays gun? I have a Wolf reduced power spring installed in my camo SBE 2 ( just installed two weeks ago) and it spits out the 2 3/4 dram target loads with no issues.

It's fair to say that I'm looking for a foul weather clays gun and if need be a gun that I could take to the marsh or goose pit, but for this gun primarily the skeet field and sporting clays course.

I'm going back and forth between the SBE 2, the Super Sport and possibly a used 12 ga Cordoba. Before anyone says get an A400, I have a 20 gauge with KO and sold the 28 gauge A400. Both are excellent guns, but I'm trying to create "one sight picture or sight plane" when shooting my SA's, like how you would with a tubed O/U (which I have).

Thoughts?

Thanks for your time,
RSR

·
Registered
389 Posts
If your SBE will cycle the target loads your want to use just use that gun. Otherwise I'd get an M2, that's what I use for a do all shotgun and I have no issues with it.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I'm not sure I'd put a wolf reduced spring in and then shoot 3 and 3.5 shells too. Bolt will likely run out of stroke and hit back of receiver hard.

·
Super Moderator
8,805 Posts
Redsoilreaper said:
I've been thinking about having the same Benelli for waterfowling and for clay games. So I currently own a camo SBE 2 (16 yrs now) and shoot it well. Have had a 20 gauge M2 and until last year a 12 ga 30" Super Sport.

So I'm wondering if I can successfully turn a black 28" SBE 2 into a clays gun? I have a Wolf reduced power spring installed in my camo SBE 2 ( just installed two weeks ago) and it spits out the 2 3/4 dram target loads with no issues.

It's fair to say that I'm looking for a foul weather clays gun and if need be a gun that I could take to the marsh or goose pit, but for this gun primarily the skeet field and sporting clays course.

I'm going back and forth between the SBE 2, the Super Sport and possibly a used 12 ga Cordoba. Before anyone says get an A400, I have a 20 gauge with KO and sold the 28 gauge A400. Both are excellent guns, but I'm trying to create "one sight picture or sight plane" when shooting my SA's, like how you would with a tubed O/U (which I have).

Thoughts?

Thanks for your time,
RSR
One sight picture with a Beretta!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PO - absolutely correct about the 3" & 3.5" shells. The wolf reduced power spring will only be used if shooting clays with that SBE 2. The factory recoil spring will be installed before hunting season.

Dr. Duk - true about the Beretta's and I've had a few, but I like the Benelli's more......

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I have a walnut-stocked M2, which I use solely for shooting clays. I found that if one uses light target and ignores their warning to use 3 dram loads, over time the gun will malfunction. It seems it has something to do with the bolt release latch and spring. Benelli blamed it on using target shells. I replaced the latch and spring, switched to 3 dram shells and have had no trouble since. That was 5 or more years ago.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Go handle a vinci and super vinci too. They handle differently than the other shotguns and both my boys claim it has less recoil than the heavier M2. I just bought a 28” vinci as a spare gun that does point really great.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I use an M2 for everything and have never had any issues with lighter target loads. 1oz @1250fps was my standard reload for years, then I moved down to 7/[email protected] and now I've been experimenting with 3/[email protected] All these loads cycle my M2 12ga without issue, I've only put a couple hundred rounds of the 3/4oz loads through the gun but my wife and I have thousand of rounds of the 1oz and 7/8oz loads through our two guns with zero malfunctions.

My old M1 that was bought in 1998 and the first M2 I bought in 2005 wouldn't cycle anything lighter than 1oz but the newer ones aren't picky one bit. They are also bone stock.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My m-2 is 20 years old and can remember it malfunctioning 3 or 4 times, all on the first day to the range. After that it’s been great and we use and abuse it. It’s shot thousands and thousands of 2 3/4 & 3” steel loads been dropped in the marsh I don’t know how many times and not cleaned for a couple years. It’s treated much better these days and actually looks and shoots pretty darn good. Not a whole lot of mechanical wear. Should probably replace the springs this winter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts