Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
If your interest in shotshell reloading is contingent upon finding a good online source for shot, I'll have to apologize for bursting your bubble.

You're going to have to find a local supplier to make things worthwhile. Sorry. :cry:

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Qbn Clay Shooter,

Shot is now at an all time high, (Most places), and shipping the shot because of weight is expensive.

For 12 and 20 ga. shells, the best thing to do right now is buy from the discount Sporting goods stores and places like Wal-Mart, buying their promotional shells and hunting loads.

This will be about as cheap as you can reload with lead prices where they are at this time. Later next year it is expected that shot will get back to a more reasonable price and maybe then you will find reloading cost effective.

Right now, only the 28ga and 410 bore shells are where the savings are, due to their very high price. So unless these are what you wish to reload, you won't find much savings in reloading.

DLM

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
I bought my last 4 bags from Connies Componets when it was $35 a bag and was very happy. The post office was not real pleased. It takes a while for delivery since Connies only ships on Thursdays. Shot has dropped to 35 for chilled shot again at one relatively local supplier.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
BillM,
If you think the Post Office hates it on your end, you should hear what they had to say in Chehalis WA. I used to know Fred, who ran Connies before his recent passing. He said they called the PO the first time for a pickup and the guy arrived with a small truck and was met with almost two tons of shot in boxes on pallets. He was going to load them all by hand and Fred told him to go get a truck that would allow him to use his fork lift.

It is heartening to hear that shot has gone down in one place at least.

·
Registered
821 Posts
QBN,

About the only way you can save money reloading 12 or 20 gage shells at this point in time is by buying shot locally (or perhaps this Connies), primers by the 5k, wads by the 5k, and powder in the 8 lb jug.

If you can't invest that much in components you are probably better off buying the 100 paks of Federal or Remington at Wal Mart.

I took note of component prices at Sportsmans Warehouse the other week and buying shot and wads by the bag, primers by 1k, and powder by 1 lb can was more expensive than the 100 paks at Wal Mart for 12 or 20.

Just noticed you were in CA. That may, or may not, change the equation for you. Promo shells in 12/20 are a heck of a value here in Ky. Don't know how things stand on the west coast.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Your in west covina. you will have to do some driving. But the best places for most shot gun reloading equipment is triple b clays. They are a trap shooting range in South El monte off of rosemead blvd. Around the 60 freeway. A good place to get information, knowledge powder and primers is. Lock stock and barrel in temple city. Temple city blvd just north of live oak avenue. The owner is Dorthy, She is an older lady with a lot of knowledge. She is a little fiesty in her age. You some times have to ask a few questions each visit. As she will school you.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info guys. My main problem is that I shoot Olympic trap. Where you need 24 gram shells. The cheapest I can find them is $66 + tax, a flat. That is why I am looking to reload. If it wasnt for that I would be shooting the Wally World stuff no problem.

Scat, I am a member at Triple B's great place. We should hook up one of thses days to shoot a few rounds. I own a Real estate office on Temple City blvd. in Temple City. I have been to lock stock n barrel. Dont like the service there. So I take my business elsewhere. You said that they have good prices on shot? If thats the case I wouldnt mind swing by and visiting the fiesty old lady.

·
Registered
323 Posts
As mentioned, shipping is a big factor even using USPS. You can get two 25# bags in a flat rate box for $9. That's 18c a pound. So unless your out of town source can beat your local source by at least that much, it's cheaper to buy locally. At the price of gas these days, you don't want to have to drive very far for it either.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Customstox said:
BillM,
If you think the Post Office hates it on your end, you should hear what they had to say in Chehalis WA. I used to know Fred, who ran Connies before his recent passing. He said they called the PO the first time for a pickup and the guy arrived with a small truck and was met with almost two tons of shot in boxes on pallets. He was going to load them all by hand and Fred told him to go get a truck that would allow him to use his fork lift.

It is heartening to hear that shot has gone down in one place at least.
Picturing the look on the mailman's face made me laugh. :lol:

·
Registered
55 Posts
The shipping of shot don't always go well either, I make a deal on some shot out of Montana earlier this week and I'm in NC. We used the flat rate deal and when I received the package it was stamped "Damaged in Handling" and also stamped by my local post office "Contents missing upon arrival". The package was totally demolished. So my shot is somewhere between NC and MT. That sucked, we didn't insure the package and the post office takes no responsibly for tough handling if not insured. That what we get for trying to keep the cost down. So the seller and myself split the cost of the loss and thats all we could do. If you mail order demand insurance, believe me you'll probably need it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It was probably deliberately destroyed by some postal employee having a tantrum because it was too heavy for warehouse hockey. If it was shipped in canvas bags, there is practically no way for the shot to escape even if the box is damaged.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My dad and I bought 20 bags from connies, it's been over 3 weeks and we still haven't received 4 of them, several phone messages and e-mails have gone un-answered, has anyone been able to get in touch with them ??

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ordered 50lb of reclaimed shot from Recobs on Tues, received shipment on Thrusday(N. Fl) Will see how it measures in the 600jr this evening and give it a go on the skeet range in the morning. Loading 2.5in 16ga 7/8oz at 7K psi for the Chas Smith double. Bob

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.