Federal Ultra-Shok,Speed-Shok or Classic Steel213.33%
Remington Nitro or Express Steel533.33%
Winchester Super-X,Supreme or X-pert533.33%
Estate Magnum or Game and Target Steel00.00%

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I like Kent Fasteel in 3" or 3.5" in #3 or #4 for ducks over deoys BB for pass-shooting ducks and BBB for pass-shooting geese.I think it's the best steel on the market.

Please include brand,shot size,shell length,fps,and amount of shot.

If you choice of steel shot isn't on here please post your brand.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please tell me if you can't vote.This is the first time I ever put up a poll so I might have screwed it up.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Tough choice between the Win Supremes and Federal high speed heavy magnums in factory goose loads. I went with the Winchesters as they reload better in my machine. I have had good experiences with any 3", 1 1/4 oz in the 1400 fps range in the 12ga. . I don't like the 1500 fps loads, one gives up 10% of the shot charge and a major increase in recoil for a minor increase in speed. I usually use size BB for smaller geese up to the size of snows and BBB for big geese. In my reloads, I go with B shot for snows.
Ducks I use 1 and 1/18 oz reloads mainly. A 1 oz load load of 3s in the previous velocity range is my typical load when shooting in harvested fields. If over water, the heavier load at the same velocity in 2s is used the most. If I am expecting mostly teal, woodies, or other small ducks, I will stick with the 3s and for divers I'll go with a 3", 1 1/4 oz load of 2s. I currently have two guns chambered for 3 1/2" but have only fired 1 long shell out of any of them. I have not found a need for them and if I do feel I need additional shot, I go with my 10 ga.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
I hand roll my own in the 1550-1650 range. 2-3/4" 1oz of #3's and #6 hevishot was smoking ducks over dekes last year.

I have a flat of Kent Fast steel in #3's in the 1500 fps range that I got in case I didn't get around to loading in due to moving.

The Federal HV steel looks good on paper and I picked up some Winchester 100 packs in #2 steel on a good markdown, about $30 plus a rebate!

Come on November!!

G

·
[3 1/2" Fasteel in BB, 1300fps is a good no doubt shotshell,with modern guns to take the recoil,why not be sure!!! 1 9/16 oz. of hard steel,deadly to all that fly. 3" Xpert's are perfect for decoying ducks,#3 or#2.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.