Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot another 4 rounds today and was lucky enough to have an instructor shooting with us. He was helping a brand new shooter, about my age, and was kind enough to give me some help. The first round he let me shoot the way I have been and I hit about 18. Round 2 he showed me about where I should be breaking the clays and how to position my feet, weight forward a little, etc. Well that round took longer since he was helping two guys, well four actually since there were two other new guys there. At the first station I missed all five (yes I missed the high option also) and it went down hill from there. I think I hit 4 or 5. He did say that my form was a lot better although I was still trying to swing through the clay instead of developing a sustained lead, it was like baving Bel_dad there behind me :D . After that I shot two more with Mark, a guy that I met yesterday and I didn't hit more than 10 or 11, probably less.

At what point should I expect my form to catch me up to where I was shooting before? I liked hitted in the 20's and realize I need to develope the correct form if I want to enter a league this spring but dang I hate hitting in single digits. In my defence the wind was driving the high house to the ground well before the far stake and the low house was stalling up about 20 feet. The rain also made it a little more difficult but I can't blame the weather for my poor performance.

When does it all start to come together? I'm shooting about 200 shots a weekend on average and I usually take off early one day a week and shoot an additional 100 or so.

He also recommended the Bender video as a great learning aid so I'll be tracking one of those down soon. Is there a "Bender Teaches the Rookies" video because that's the one I need.

I'll see you on the range.

Ricky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,773 Posts
:lol: Good job! You will lose some birds for a couple of weeks, or as much as you are shooting, less, but then will come back better than before. You will always have ups and down through your carrier. At the rate you are shooting, you will catch on very quickly, fear not.

MRPower's post was very insightful, actually, all the posts were good! MR is setting you up for shooting in shoot-offs when he says over the stake is late... It is in doubles.

Relax, shoot, practice your form until you no longer have to think about it. The straights will come. If you get a chance to take a lesson... When you start is, IMO, the very best time to take one, if one is all you can afford.

The tendency is to think the change costs you, especially on 1, it is more likely just normal ups and downs of learning a new sport.

best to you,
bd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,202 Posts
Once you get the Bender's video and watch it a few times your shooting will improve mine did.
I was shooting in 9-10s after the video I went up to 22s and moved on from there.
To be honest I wasn't really interested in becoming a skeet shooter; I was shooting it to improve my hunting skills.
After that weekend I was so excited that I email Todd saying how much I thought of his video to my surprise he (or someone form staff) replied with a very nice email - that motivated me even more.

Now I am a skeet junkie!

Keep shooting.
BB. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,773 Posts
Buckshot Bob said:
After that weekend I was so excited that I email Todd saying how much I thought of his video to my surprise he (or someone form staff) replied with a very nice email - that motivated me even more.

Now I am a skeet junkie!

Keep shooting.
BB. :D
My guess is, Todd doesn't have a staff, and that the note, if directed to him, was from him.

bd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,358 Posts
Hi Ricky,

I guess I was lucky, in that I didn't start skeet with any bad habits (other than being a lapsed Trap shooter). Still, I managed to develop some all of my own, mostly centered on what my eyes are doing. (looking at the bead not the bird, trying to measure lead, etc...) and not swinging through after the shot.

I still shot about 7000 birds before I got my first 25. Some folks are faster, some slower (please let this be true :D ).

Having watched you shoot, you'll probably take a fair number less to get your 25. But it's worth learning the method used by Bender, and just about every other top shooter - because it works. Just a few basics, and when you think about them in the context of the game they make sense.

Glad you found somebody to assist you, there's some good shooters out there who have helped me a lot.

As I mentioned in your other thread I'd be glad to loan you my Bender DVD.

Ed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,648 Posts
You can ALWAYS blame the weather for a bad shot! Works for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,773 Posts
Tijeras_Slim said:
I still shot about 7000 birds before I got my first 25. Some folks are faster, some slower (please let this be true :D ).
Ed
Ed, I know a shooter, who often shoots a 20-21, and hasn't shot a straight in 30 years of trying... Don't think it will ever happen now.

bd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,358 Posts
bel_dad,

I think I got that first 25 because Paul Newman made a helpful suggestion about my hold point on 3. It was an honor to have him shoot my hat!

Ed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Ed,
Don't feel bad. I shot about 25 weekends/year for 2 years, bought 3 different guns, and finally bought the Bender video before I broke a 25. Once I finally got one, they started coming pretty regular. For a long time, I didn't think it was ever going to happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ed,
Man I'm glad you weren't there with that .410 today. You would have made me look worse than normal :shock: . I'll take that video from you the next time we meet.

Ask Mark about today, it was rough but fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
Good foot postion, breakpoints, technique etc are going to do you alot better in the longrun even if the scores dip some for a bit. At this stage in your shooting let the scores go down a little at first while you work on getting the technique down because in the longrun it will help you out quite a bit. I know i can make the same shot (especially on 3,4,5 doubles) either easy or extremely hard just by setting the feet position differently. Consistancy is the key with good fundamentals the consistancy and higher scores will come. Its easier to learn from scratch than to learn it later on and try to fix all your bad habbits
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
Junkers, your posts make me think you are starting to shoot skeet by shooting regular rounds. If so, that is a frustrating way to start for most people. I start new shooters on station 7, shooting long incomers only. First, I teach them to watch several targets as they cross the field, focusing sharply on the leading edge of the target. When they can do that well, with full eye focus on the target all the way across, I have them lead the target with their forefinger (the left for a right-handed shooter), and watch to see them accomplish a smooth track all the way across the field. Only then do they mount the gun, and lead the target all the way across the field with the gun muzzle, keeping their eye focus entirely on the leading edge of the target. If they hesitate anywhere, or jerk the gun, they need to keep doing this until their movement is smooth. Then they learn to say "bang" when the target gets to their side of the center stake, and maintain the smooth movement. Only then, after watching many targets and leading them smoothly across the field, I let them load one and smack the target into a hundred pieces. When they can do that with major confidence at high 7, we move to half way to station 6 and do the same procedure on high house targets again. Then we move to station 1 and shoot long incomers from the low house; then half way to station 2, then station 2; always shooting long incomers. New shooters need to learn how to lead long incomers and take them with confidence before they try anything else. This introduction is not included in Bender's tape; which is designed for someone who has progressed farther in their skills. Obviously, the above needs to be done with a friend, not during a round of skeet. If you are breaking only a few targets each round; stop, and take it from the beginning, as outlined above. Enjoy skeet. Floyd in Vienna
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,773 Posts
Great post Vie, I don't have the time, or don't make enough time to practice stations. I shoot 1 or 2 rounds with the usuall suspects on Sat, then if I'm lucky, shoot 1 or 2 round on Sunday with the usuall suspects, and expect to improve???? I need to make time to just practice stations... shoot it a buch, work on break point, turning with legs, all the elements that make a good shot.

Thanks for the reminder,
bd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Vie said:
Junkers, your posts make me think you are starting to shoot skeet by shooting regular rounds. If so, that is a frustrating way to start for most people. I start new shooters on station 7, shooting long incomers only. First, I teach them to watch several targets as they cross the field, focusing sharply on the leading edge of the target. When they can do that well, with full eye focus on the target all the way across, I have them lead the target with their forefinger (the left for a right-handed shooter), and watch to see them accomplish a smooth track all the way across the field. Only then do they mount the gun, and lead the target all the way across the field with the gun muzzle, keeping their eye focus entirely on the leading edge of the target. If they hesitate anywhere, or jerk the gun, they need to keep doing this until their movement is smooth. Then they learn to say "bang" when the target gets to their side of the center stake, and maintain the smooth movement. Only then, after watching many targets and leading them smoothly across the field, I let them load one and smack the target into a hundred pieces. When they can do that with major confidence at high 7, we move to half way to station 6 and do the same procedure on high house targets again. Then we move to station 1 and shoot long incomers from the low house; then half way to station 2, then station 2; always shooting long incomers. New shooters need to learn how to lead long incomers and take them with confidence before they try anything else. This introduction is not included in Bender's tape; which is designed for someone who has progressed farther in their skills. Obviously, the above needs to be done with a friend, not during a round of skeet. If you are breaking only a few targets each round; stop, and take it from the beginning, as outlined above. Enjoy skeet. Floyd in Vienna
I actually am shooting regular rounds and have never even thought there was any other way to practice other than to go out and do it. I'll have to see if one of the pullers at the range will let me practice on one of the least used ranges.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
As a reformed trap shooter who switched over to skeet I SURELY had my share of problems.

No doubt about it the Bender tape helped. And working on specific stations/problems with another shooter , by ourselves on the practice range, was worth it's weight in gold!!

HOW one practices makes a difference as well. Are You on a squad of single digit shooters who could care less? Just shooting for fun. Or on a squad of DEDICATED shooters who ALL try their best to shoot two from #8? Do You take even a minute before shooting and go over the basics in Your mind before You fire that first shot at H-1? Do You go over each station in your mind before You step into the box?

THE absolute BEST day I've had as a new skeet shooter was a windless/bright sunday this past summer. I shot on a squad of our clubs best shooters. I watched them all as I was shooting last. I watched hold points,where they were breaking tgt's,etc. I shot a 23 my best to date. Next round one of them gave me some pointers on foot position and I shot my first 25.

The key that day, and other good rds I've shot was concentration. I thought about the proper technique for the next station BEFORE I got in the box. For any shooter I think it's tough to concentrate when Your on a squad of shoters who take it all lightly. At least it is for me.

No warranty expressed or implied. Your mileage may vary. I'm NOT a skeet expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

FN in MT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,358 Posts
A good time to practice single stations are weekday afternoons, weekends it's too busy.

It's not uncommon to only have 1 or 2 shooters around 2PM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,506 Posts
I agree 100%, shooting round after round of skeet is a terrible way to learn how to shoot skeet! You don't build a whole house all at once, you build it one stick at a time. Build your game one shot a time. Just because you can break H3 does not mean you are doing it right! There are proper break points too.....geeez, and you thought if it broke anywhere it counted.

With our 4H kids, we don't score it unless it was hit HERE. We just teach each shot like that....then we when move on to the Doubles, it's piece of a cake because they are breaking the first one in the right place. It also helps these kids shoot well in high winds.

Get back in touch with that Instructor who helped you and keep working on your game. Slow down a bit now and get it right. You'll be a lot further ahead in the long run.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,305 Posts
I learned by shooting full rounds....

{{Edit: I have done a lot of station practice since then, but I'm talking about the very first skeet shooting I did. I think I probably had my first 25 before I ever did any station practice. The first station I ever did station practice on was 2. A friend who's also an NSSA instructor wanted to teach me to take H2 and H3 in the right place and with sustained lead. That took some work on my part and some frustration on his, to put it lightly.}}
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
What if you used to shoot twenty fives and you wake up one day and your old and fell very blessed to shoot in the twenties
period what do you do. Well i didn't mean 25's all the time.

Charlie
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top