Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Gulfstream VI, officially known as the "G650" now, but colloquially known as the "G-Six," is the latest iteration of arguably the best and most prestigious large cabin business jet, unless one is talking about customized airliners. Just to tantalize your mechanical tastebuds, here's some pics and stats:

Range 7,000 nautical (8,000 statute) miles (the light shaded area of the below map, based on departing out of Chicago) at 85% of the speed of sound, approximately 650 statute mph. Can sleep up to ten passengers, or seat 20.

So what is the OT point? Seems the company pilots needed to do a long test flight, after departing from Appleton, WI, and decided to let their flight track become a marketing tool (this really happened):

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/GLF ... /KATW/KATW

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
They flew 6370 miles to put that on somebody's computer screen?

How many gallons of jet fuel? That's gotta be one expensive advertisement per a target customer.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I spend a lot of time at East Hampton, Morristown and Teterboro Airports and get to smell a lot of kerosene since my little Aeronca is not very air tight. Oh, to be 20 again. My first pure jet Type Rating was in an early Lear when they were under $1million new.

Bob

·
Registered
23,202 Posts
My niece's husband works for Duncan Aviation in Lincoln Ne, have you ever heard of then Nody?

cdb

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
It would be fun to fly that thing for a couple of hours but after that, I can't imagine sitting in it for 7000 nm. Your butt would be either on fire or beyond numb.

No thanks. I wouldn't want to do that even once, let alone as a job.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Now that I no longer fly commercially, it is actually much more exciting being scared to death by a primary student! Now my instrument students are the boring flight hours, but V1 cuts in a twin or VMC demonstrations can be a lot of fun.

Bob

·
Registered
489 Posts
Bob; back in the mid-60's I got a seaplane rating in an Aeronca Champ at Little Ferry Seaplane Base near Teterboro. Remember making step taxi turns on the Hackensak marshes while keeping an eye out for duck blinds and decoy sets too. Lou Hasselbeck owned it and was my instructor. Lou was lost shooting a low vis approach a few years later in South Jersey. One of the things that finally got me to quit smoking was seeing R.J. Reynolds corporate jet parked at Newark Air Service. Not on my dime folks.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Yep, Sitting by the hotel pool while getting paid per diem, while the boss is off with his mistress is nice the first few times, but then gets pretty old quickly.

I also got my seaplane rating at Little Ferry, but when the Dunham's where running it. Bought the STC from Bruce to put my 7CCM on EDO 1320s rather than 92-1400s. Bruce is still around, but he is in Port Orange, Florida now.

Bob

·
Registered
13,377 Posts
Some of the hardest jobs you can do are sitting around and waiting for something to happen. Pilots, guards, firemen and soldiers know what I am talking about.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.