Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the largest lead shot size that can be safely used in standard shotshell recipes?Is it 2's ,bb or larger?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
you have a valid question. just realize, the larger shot has more space around it, so 1 1/8 oz of 2's will take up more room in the hull than 9's. i do not load anything larger than copper plated 5's, but larger size shot will often bridge in a reloader. most loaders are made for target loads, 7 1/2's and smaller. some makers have conversion kits for steel shot.

one would probably have to weight large shot. :x

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
i'm just a dumb old trap shooter, but i do not believe slugs and buck meet the criteria of "standard shotshell recipes" :wink:

·
Registered
16,296 Posts
JOhn--You arent old. :lol: 000 Buck is the largest I've seen. Loading Buck involves COUNTING the shot instead of just weighing them.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Any shot size whose pellets I have to count I just go to a store, count out some money and buy a box of shells already containing those pellets.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
John;

You MAY be right, but they call it buckSHOT do they not? What does the word shot mean to you?

I missed my edit, I had intended to type in 3 zeros myself, but...
A slug is not a shot, but I recall some conversation about "pun'kin balls" in the old days too! One round ball!

Generally, now days, since we can't hunt ducks and geese with lead, I don't load anything bigger than #5s, but I used to load a lot of #4 s and a few Deuces too. Still got some if you need them!

BP

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I think whathe is asking is if your useing standard load data ie. 1 1/8 at 1250fps is there a maximum size shot you can load in those loads.
Not really but yes. If your loading 7/8oz to 1 1/8oz loads you'll find that if you go with shot much bigger than #5 you'll run into problems with some loads with the hull being to full to crimp right. On the other hand if you load soem 1 1/2oz loads with #8 you'll have problems with dished crimps and holes in the center. the powder compaiens develope the loads with shot sizes which are normally used in those loads. Heavier loads....bigger shot. So if your going to try and load 1oz of BB or BBB shot using standard 1oz target data you'll have problems.

Tim

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
count? WHAT DO YOU MEAN, COUNT? :x

if i count to five i have to walk to the next station, and sometimes i still lose count! :lol:

·
Registered
11,103 Posts
Well, for largest size "shot", I would think that the round balls that the English hunters shot out of their 4 and 2 gauge guns in Africa and India probably do it for shotguns. But don't forget the old "Grape Shot" used in cannons black powder days, or the "Canister Shot" employed (and dearly loved) by the military (and that included me when I was still in) is probably even larger!

BobK

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
One thing our original questioner needs to keep in mind is that all load data is give with the shot charge listed in weight. Every loading machine I'm aware of doles out shot by volume. Yes, you can get different bushings for different shot sizes,( a few) but it has nothing whatever to do with safety, just legal requirements for registered competitive events. If you load 7-1/2 or deuces with a normal loading machine it makes not a whit of difference to the shell, the volume of shot is going to be the same, at least the volume taken up in the hull is. Will the weight be different?? you betcha! Are you using hard shot or softer Chilled shot? That makes a bit of difference too. In reality it doesnn't make any difference what size shot you load in any particular listed recipe for whatever weight shot charge is involved, BUT most 12 ga loads of 1-1/8 or and less will be normally loaded with 7-1/2s or smaller, and the heavier loads of 1-1/4 oz and more will be #6 or larger. Most wads will have enough squish in them to allow for a bit more bulk even IF you loaded the larger shot by weight anyway.

BP

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
by standard shotshell recipes I did mean those listing shot by weight,not pellet count or slug.Is weight just weight in a shell and x amount of lead is safe in a given recipe as long as the weight is correct?

·
Registered
9 Posts
ihunts2much said:
by standard shotshell recipes I did mean those listing shot by weight,not pellet count or slug.Is weight just weight in a shell and x amount of lead is safe in a given recipe as long as the weight is correct?
In all other reloading, mass of the projectile vs. burn rate of the propellant determine the majority of pressure issues. The only concern about buckshot that I've encountered is if the diameter of the buck approaches 1/2 of the shotgun's bore diameter. A "bridge" could definitely ruin your day.

Ever notice how many "specifics" have to be observed when loading shotshells?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Improved Cylinder said:
The only concern about buckshot that I've encountered is if the diameter of the buck approaches 1/2 of the shotgun's bore diameter. A "bridge" could definitely ruin your day.
Actually buckshot pellets are pretty soft. Bridging is a non issue with regards to safety. Large steel shot is a different story. That's why steel shot wads are so thick; but the barrel and choke still takes a pounding.

·
Registered
331 Posts
ihunts2much said:
Is weight just weight in a shell and x amount of lead is safe in a given recipe as long as the weight is correct?
That is my understanding.

I have even safely used 9 00 buck in place of 1 1/8 oz loading, 9 00 weigh 1 1/8 oz.
I was told the pressure would be even lower using the 00 buck instead of the regular smaller shot (I would like to have this tested sometime though just so I can know how much lower it really is).
All my loads are on the lowest end of the reloading info so I feel safe making certain substitutions.

* I am not listing loads you should use, all data listed is safe in my guns, all data listed came from load books/powder manufacturers websites/other reliable source/s.
You should always check any data posted by anyone on a website against known reliable sources before you use it, there is always a chance of a typo by the poster.

Michael Grace

1 - 17 of 17 Posts