Yes, but I had a little trouble with mine at first...111.11%
Yes, my friend/relative likes his/hers a lot.222.22%
No, my friend/relative owns one, but I wouldn't...111.11%
No, I bought it and I wouldn't do it again.111.11%

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm planning on buying one before spring light goose season, and I need a bottom line here 935 owners and friends of 935 owners, is this a reliable autoloader?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi. I spent one month checking for 3.5" 12 ga semi auto's. I only had $500 Cdn to play with and the Mossy 935 was my initial "gotten getta Mossy". But after lurking in this forum for a couple of months I found two separate posts from two separate people who've said the barrel of their 935 simply fell off!!! I can't imagine but there were actually two separate posts of this. Secondly there was a post called 935 grenade where the auto fired the second shell before being fully chambered and without trigger pull. There were various other reports as usual, many describing internal components rusting and the standard cold weather failure to cycle. I found myself wondering about my choice so when I called to order up a shotgun from a large online distributor here in Canada, I talked to a rep who gave me his candid admittedly anecdotale (sp?) tales. He suggested that I might better look for a pump with the money I had available to spend. He stated that a noticable number of 935 have been coming up with complaints. The most common being the camo version....something about the finish not being on par with others. Anyways when I was done the phone call he had talked me into a less expensive Benelli Nova Pump. I feel happy that I was able to speak to such a forthright person at the sale . I don't want to piss off the Mossy fans but this has been my story....remember, I never actually used this shotgun...this is just the results of my search.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I don't own a 935 yet but I am fixing to buy one. I have also read all the horror stories about it as well as the ones about the Benellis, Berettas, Brownings and Remington. Out of all the shotguns I have owned, I had two bad 870s that I gave up on trying to get Remington to fix them and stay fixed. Overall, the 870 is said to be the most reliable shotgun going. However, I still own a Remington.
The reason I want the 935 is because it is the only 12ga 3.5" auto that has a 10ga bore. I want 10ga performance with the lighter 12ga frame. The 935 is my next shotgun without a doubt. Besides, Mossberg has a reputation for having the best customer service going and will stand behind their guns.
The shotguns I own and currently use are...
Browning Gold 10 Lite, Browning BPS 12, Rem SP10, Benelli M1 Super 90 12 and Yildiz O/U 12.
Chris

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have also read all the horror stories about it as well as the ones about the Benellis, Berettas, Brownings and Remington
Yup, I agree with you. That is why I had such a difficult time with my decision, but the barrel falling off issue was unique to me. Even so, depite the barrel off issue I wanted the 935. When I called up to order the 935 after waiting for a month for them to be in stock, I spoke to a different sales rep who told me about the number of complaints that he handled personally. Then he suggested a gun that was a few $$ less. This made me feel that I was getting more than just a gut opinion so it was at this point that I backed off the 935. I'm maybe wrong for doing so but, the bad review came from the supplier who handles complaints.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow. Excellent responses so far, if not many votes. I'm clearly not the only "researcher" here! Maybe I should have openned the poll to people with other than first-hand info. Thanks guys.

-Dave

·
Registered
243 Posts
According to Mossberg Man...."Mossberg is family owned." "When you hear a bad report on a Mossberg, think about how many others without problems are out there." "Mossberg is the biggest shotgun maker in terms of volume."
From everything I have read, the typical turn around time on getting a Mossberg repaired or replaced is less than two weeks. Just try getting that kind of service from Remington. In my experience and with my buddies experiences with Rem, Rem will cry and moan, claiming it is not their fault and finally aggree to fix your gun. In my two cases with the 870s, they would continue to give me problems until I gave up after sending them back numerous times. My two friends that have sent their 3.5" 11/87s back to Rem have had simular results.
I have heard just as many horror stories from owners of Browning, Remington, Benelli and Beretta as I have with Mossberg. So for me, it all boils down to who stands behind their guns the best.
Chris

·
Registered
742 Posts
I love my 935, Clean it after you take it out of the box and give it the occasional wipe and lube and you should be fine. Warm or frozen mine worked when needed, I got the matt black synthetic and dont worry too much about water and mud.
For the price it is hard to beat, I would like it to be made of less plastic but is to be used and not admired in a cabinet.

George 8)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've had my 24" realtree camo 935 for about a year now, I bought it second hand from a guy who was having cycling trouble for a very healthy discount ($300.00 :D ). When I got it home I tore the gun apart (very simple), and cleaned everything with breakfree clp. I've shot about 100 3-1/2" turkey loads, 25 3-1/2" Buckshot loads, 100 3" turkey loads, and a box of winchester 3-1/2" steel through it with Zero problems. It will not cycle any 2-3/4" loads except 1-1/2oz magnums. All in all it has been a good gun for my needs which are basically predator calling and long range crow shooting. The only real change I'd like to see made to the gun is the magazine tube. The current setup is blued steel that loves to rust, they need to change to stainless, or the very least nickle plate the whole assembly. As far as the reports of discharges without the bolt being closed, I think that is a load of BS. These guns employ a link which blocks hammer travel (the same as the remington 1100) when the bolt is open; The hammer will fall, but it will not strike the firing pin.

·
Registered
243 Posts
CMB,
It doesn't sound like it would be a big deal to remove the magazine tube and have it nickel plated. Just wondering if it would have any affect on the guns operation?
Chris

·
Registered
172 Posts
Here's the thing, they locktite the magazine tube in, so with a camo gun, you can't remove the tube intact without hurting ther camo. I'm probably going to attempt the plating with the reciever still attatched in the next month or so, We'll see how that works out.

·
Registered
243 Posts
CMB,
I went to my local gunshop and the guy let me tear down a camo 935. I saw where the tube had been locktite on the threads where it screws into the action. I don't see how it could possibly hurt the camo finish when taking it out. If you were afraid of this happening, I would suggest scoring the locktite with a razor blade right at the edge of the threads. I haven't decided yet if I want a black one or camo. But your idea about the nickeling is a good one! It might be a good idea when one is having the nickeling done, to have it done to the recoil parts in the buttstock too.
By the way, how is your camo holding up on your 935?
Chris

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well, the tube wouldent come off with the help of a strap wrench, and i dont want to mark the reiever by wrenching on it, nor can I soak it in solvent nor can I heat it with a torch, so I figure it's gonna have to stay in one piece. As far as how the camo is holding up, so far it's been great, very tough and it really helps guarding against corrosion in bad weather. If/when I get done with my plating I'll post a report, I plan on doing the gas system too so if all goes well it should be a good valuable improvement.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Cmb,
I read some early posts from gunsmiths about how to remove the mag tube on a Mossberg. Several posts had different suggestions on how to do it. I put them all together and this is how I would try to do it.
Wrap a wet washrag two layers thick around the front sides of the action, then put that part of the action in a vise with two pieces of thick leather on the outside of the washrag for padding. Do not tighten enough to put undue pressure on the action. Just barely enough to hold it firm. Make sure the action is put in the vise on the part that is over the threads. Not on the middle or back part of the action. Then insert a hardwood dowel inside the tube turned just small enought to fit. This reinforces the roundness of the tube. Then the secret is to add just enough heat to melt the locktite. Use a hair dryer or heat gun to do this. Not a tourch. Heat up the tube, right before the threads just enough that it is barely to hot to touch. Stop heating at that point and then try to break loose the tube by using a pair of round mouth visegrips, using a piece of thick leather to keep from marking the outside of the tube. If it doesn't break loose the first time, keep doing this routine over and over until it finally breaks loose.
I don't think there is any way that you can nickel plate that tube without plating the receiver as well if you dont take it out.
Chris

·
Registered
81 Posts
As far as the reports of discharges without the bolt being closed, I think that is a load of BS
You may be right here, but the fact that tt400 posted the following...

on the second shot the gun fires while it is cycling the second shell and the chamber is open. Needless to say I was kicked like mule and the bolt and associated part shattered.
He may be incorrect as to the type of malfunction, but this type of failure is a major saftey hazard malfunction. Or do you think he's not telling the truth? It may be that he fired the second shell that was actually chambered and the entire bolt dissassembled upon firing. I too find it difficult to believe that the hammer could release and strike before chambering I don't think that he is produciing BS here but something went very wrong here.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Dave. here's how the 935 works. There is a linkage that connects the bolt the the operating spring in the buttstock, this link is shaped like a tuning fork (a "Y"). The connected end is attatched to the bolt, the two parallel arms are connected to the operatin spring. as such, the hammer must fit between the parallelbars to make contact with the firing pin. The Y on the linkage is set so that the bolt must be ENTIRELY closed for the hammer to make contact with the firing pin. If the bolt is retracted (unlocked from its lugseat) at all, the hammer hits the linkage instead of the firingpin. The way the system is setup, the hammer will fall with the bolt unlocked, but it will not contact the firing pin. This exact system had been used on the remington 1100, and its predecessor the sportsman 58, for 50 years; It works. As such, the only way an dishcarge could take place is if the firing pin broke, and seized in place, while protruding from the boltface. The mossberg uses a 1 piece, spring return firing pin (like almost all other gas guns), which makes this situation very unlikely. Even in such an unlikely event such as a shel firing as a result of a catasrophiic FP failure, in the ejection port as described in the report. the gasses would be vented out the port and barrel, this along with the fact that shotshells only operate at ~11k PSI, means that the one piece steel mossberg bolt would be very unlikely to "shatter", you'd likely loose an extractor, But thats it.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you to everyone. Last week I found a used BPS (12 ga, 3") in essentially new condition for $299. It was sooo smooth cycling and fit just right. I had to have it. So the Mossberg will have to wait. :wink:

-Dave

·
Registered
243 Posts
How does the 935 handle compared to other 12s?
Chris

1 - 18 of 18 Posts