Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all!
i am new to organized shooting,been shooting clays at a freinds house at least once a week for ten years. i am going to start shooting all three types at a local club.

my question is ...... is a shooter judged by the gun he shoots more than the clays he breaks. like in golf where if you play with 1000 dollar clubs you must be good?

i will be using a stoger feild O/U.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
If they give a rat's about what you shoot, find a new club.

There are always gonna be people that are there to show off their new gun, but you'll see the ones that don't care. The cool one's are the guys with the $10,000 guns and don't care what you shoot cause I've found they'll invite you hunting on their $20,000 quail lease :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Welcome aboard, Out of all the forums out there for the shooting sports, this one, I have found seems to have a high percetage of Gentlemen (and ladies) and a low percentage of arrogant, know it all windbags. That's a good thing.
Now to the question at hand.
Gentlemen at a skeet or trap range tend to judge you by your charater and your manners more than anything else. If you are a lousy shot they tend to offer helpful hints, tips and recommendations... some times while poking a little fun at you. At least that has been how I've generally been treated. There is a fellow at our club who will shoot straights and 24's consistantly with a SxS stoger coach gun. He is an amiable fellow and fun to shoot with. All he really needs is a tube, a shell, and a hammer to bust clays. There is another fellow who I wached shoot a straight with all shots taken from the hip with a box stock 870. Again, nice guy, not a show off, very helpful. If you have a pretty gun, people will oooh and aaahhh over it to be polite but generally speaking, it is how safely you handle the gun and respect the guy who is on stand shooting.
So, be polite, be safe, and don't be afraid to ask for pointers...and don't hesitate to oooohhh and aaaah when you see somebody with a pretty gun, hit the targets that ya can, and practice often.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
jlptexashunter... love your new look. You always wonder what the people you meet on the net look like face to face... OH !! - that's your dog... I see.... sorry.

One of my best shooting friends is a very well-to-do retired fellow. He shoots a Kolar with a full set of tubes for skeet, has an unsingle barrel and quick-change cheek piece for trap, and would not dream of EVER putting anyone down for the gun they showed up with.

He is very typical of the shooter you will meet at most any club. The snobs are very few and far between. Once you fall in with a regular group, you can expect no mercy... they will insult your clothes, your heritage, your shooting ability.... but NEVER your shotgun (well, almost never).

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
At skeet they never make fun of you but will sometimes joke around. It seems to happen less when I do better than they do though :lol: . What I'm saying is that we're all nice and friendly to each other and everybody is willing to help out each other.

Also our club is very picky about how nice you are when becoming a member.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts