Shotgun Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Elections have consequences, and this last one has been sweet for gun rights and the NRA

But here lies the opportunity for action on the federal level to actually protect and expand gun rights, instead of always playing defense against the federal goverment.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... -aim-to-do

I agree with all five items on the above list, but gun rights supporters neeed one more item more than any other:

The federal right to arms should be the supreme law, and no state or local jurisdiction should be able to pass any law more restrictive of that right than the federal government as to the types of legal weapons, their ammunition, or accessories, or qualified owners and users, nor levy any tax impeding that right.

In other words, a firearm legal in one place in the USA should be legal in all places in the USA, and a person legal to own a firearm as a US citizen is legal to own a firearm anywhere in the USA, and no local taxes or magazine restrictions or background checks.

One set of gun laws for all the entire land, and no more.

It would require eight Senate Democrats to agree.

And there are more than that many up for reelection in 2018.

But would Republicans accept the idea of infringing on State's rights, even to preserve the Second Amendment?

I think they would support federal preemption, provided the NRA supports it.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
It's the big one! I'm coming Elizabeth!

I only took a quick look at the link but I think I might actually agree with Sx1 !!
:shock: :shock:

·
Registered
27,954 Posts
SuperXOne said:
Elections have consequences, and this last one has been sweet for gun rights and the NRA
After relentlessly bashing the NRA for many years, along with Republicans in general, what at long last is now your point?

·
Registered
30,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RandyWakeman said:
SuperXOne said:
After relentlessly bashing the NRA for many years, along with Republicans in general, what at long last is now your point?
Whether I was a Democrat or Republican I've been a radical supporter of the Second Amemdment all of my life.

Gun owners have a chance to gain something here.

All they need to do is convince 8 pro gun Democrats to join a passable gun rights bill and get all 52 Republicans to not jump ship.

Here's what a Dem would need to sign up

1. Overhaul the ancient 4473 form and make passing the instant check itself the controlling factor. Fund the system so it can work. Update all the records.

2. Lifetime bans for misdemeanor domestic violence and nonviolent felonies and ancient mental commitments are draconian and should be overhauled. No lifetime bans. Make disqualification based on a specific, modifiable, written court or admistrative order.

3. Have some sort of local control for reasonable time, place, and use restrictions, that are all limited to infractions.

4. Don't put silliness in the bill. It must be limited to only the subject of gun control. Tell the culture warriors to go culture war someplace else.

5. Don't let perfect be the enemy of the possible. MSW and long mag restrictions might have to be local options to get the bill passed. And if an updated and simple smart phone app that would allow individuals to do instant checks on private sales is the price of passage---then pay it. Those 8 Democrats must have something to justify sleeping with the NRA. They must be promised A ratings (if they want the ratings) if they sign up.

But if there's ever a time to pass a federal gun rights bill it will be in the first hundred days of the Trump adminstration.

But the GOP has to file the bill, and it has to be sensible.

Here's the chance for the NRA to get gun control reform, if they keep it simple and popular.

·
Registered
27,954 Posts
SuperXOne said:
Whether I was a Democrat or Republican I've been a radical supporter of the Second Amemdment all of my life.
Complete rubbish. You've been relentlessly whining about the Armalite rifle platform for years, or as you like to incorrectly call them "assault rifles."

·
Registered
30,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RandyWakeman said:
SuperXOne said:
Complete rubbish. You've been relentlessly whining about the Armalite rifle platform for years, or as you like to incorrectly call them "assault rifles."
I own an AR-15 and I think it's a great symbol of freedom.

There is certain gun writer that doesn't think the 5.56 is very much of a battle cartridge, but I like the old guy anyway.:)

Look, the NRA has beat the horse of "the liberals are after your guns" for many years.

It's sold a lot of NRA memberships.

How about going after those liberal gun grabbers, eh?

We don't know how the future looks for Trump and the GOP.

But right now all those Republicans have the chance to spread the gospel of the Secomd Amendment to every corner of America.

When will there ever be a better time?

·
Registered
27,954 Posts
SuperXOne said:
Look, the NRA has beat the horse of "the liberals are after your guns" for many years.
To the contrary, liberals ARE after your guns and they still are. Captain Obvious can see this. It isn't horse-beating, it is reality.

·
Registered
30,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RandyWakeman said:
SuperXOne said:
To the contrary, liberals ARE after your guns and they still are. Captain Obvious can see this. It isn't horse-beating, it is reality.
Yes, the liberals are after our guns.

And the sunsa*****es need to play defense for a while, don't they?

What good is power, if it's not used when your cause is powerful, and your opponents weakened by recent defeat?

There are Democratic Senators today that would dearly love to sign on to something that would make them more popular with all those white working class gun owners, and what better issue than guns, to do that?

The NRA could stand to win a few offensive battles at the federal level.

There's never going to be a better time, than to keep on winning.

·
Registered
16,301 Posts
Beware !!!!! the Trojan Horse is among us !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
SuperXOne said:
RandyWakeman said:
SuperXOne said:

Gun owners have a chance to gain something here.

All they need to do is convince 8 pro gun Democrats to join a passable gun rights bill and get all 52 Republicans to not jump ship.

Here's what a Dem would need to sign up

1. Overhaul the ancient 4473 form and make passing the instant check itself the controlling factor. Fund the system so it can work. Update all the records.

2. Lifetime bans for misdemeanor domestic violence and nonviolent felonies and ancient mental commitments are draconian and should be overhauled. No lifetime bans. Make disqualification based on a specific, modifiable, written court or admistrative order.

3. Have some sort of local control for reasonable time, place, and use restrictions, that are all limited to infractions.

4. Don't put silliness in the bill. It must be limited to only the subject of gun control. Tell the culture warriors to go culture war someplace else.

5. Don't let perfect be the enemy of the possible. MSW and long mag restrictions might have to be local options to get the bill passed. And if an updated and simple smart phone app that would allow individuals to do instant checks on private sales is the price of passage---then pay it. Those 8 Democrats must have something to justify sleeping with the NRA. They must be promised A ratings (if they want the ratings) if they sign up.

But if there's ever a time to pass a federal gun rights bill it will be in the first hundred days of the Trump adminstration.

But the GOP has to file the bill, and it has to be sensible.

Here's the chance for the NRA to get gun control reform, if they keep it simple and popular.
Like many things you cannot be for something that is contrary to the REAL world reality.

Just like claiming to be a Christian yet promoting abortion you simply CANNOT be a democrat, vote for democrats and say you support the 2nd amendment.

·
Registered
27,954 Posts
cbxchris said:
Like many things you cannot be for something that is contrary to the REAL world reality.

... vote for democrats and say you support the 2nd amendment.
The Democratic party has finally, completely, imploded upon itself. The pervasive big-brotherism, the nanny state complex, the graft and corruption finally destroyed it. Amen.

The feckless attacks on the Second Amendment made it all the easier to avoid "Democrats" in Congress, state houses, governors, and of course the White House. The frantic scream of the death of liberalism is easy to hear. The Federal Court appointments alone will silence the gun-grabbing bigots by itself.

The fool's folly of "sensible" gun control is on its heels. What was always needed was sensible crime control.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Can you think of a gun law so draconian that the Democratic leadership would oppose it? Me neither!
The Obama's, Clinton's, and Schumer's would ban muzzle loaders and toy guns if they had the power to do so.

·
Registered
27,954 Posts
The Democratic "party" is no longer a national party, they are merely a coastal fractional group: west coast and just the northeast.

·
Administrator
23,249 Posts
Well since you went and turned it political, I have to lock it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.