Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody familiar with germatria?

Just curious.

Here is something curious- you can multiply the number nine by any other number add the single digits created by the multiplication, and they will add up to the number nine. For instance, nine times six is thirty six, and three and six add up to nine. Or, nine times twelve is 108, and 1+0+8 equals -nine. Or, (here is where you need to pay attention) nine times one hundred and twenty equals 1080, and 1+0+8+0=9. Or, nine times 2022(today's year) = 18,198 and 1+8+1+9+8= 27 wait what?

Oh right- two plus seven equals nine.

Pretty neat huh?

And do you know why it works?

....same reason how come you got ten fingers. :)

Reactions: Anthony777

·
Registered
13,301 Posts
This reminds me of a trick from third grade for multiplying by nine using your fingers.
Remember how that worked?

·
Registered
12,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm afraid I have not heard that one Ezra, and as interesting as it sounds I don't have time to investigate right now. Hopefully we can get back to that. You see for right now this very minute, I've got bigger problems.

I'm being attacked by space aliens.

The thing about space aliens is they got six fingers on each hand. As a result, their numbering system is quite unlike ours. We humans got ten fingers, and thus ten digits. But, the space alien has got twelve fingers. That calls for two extra numbers.

You see, we count as high as we can on our ten fingers and then we carry a digit to the left to the "tens" place. But these space aliens, having twelve fingers, count to twelve before they carry a digit. So instead of going 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, the aliens go 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,&,@,11, with & being equal to our ten and and @ being equal to 11 while "11" is equal to twelve.

How might the space aliens mathematics differ from our math? :)

Well, counting would be quite different. After they count "11" of something the next number would be...

...What?

·
Registered
12,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dang it!

Thanks for chiming in SteveY.

$&@#, I wrote it out wrong. Edit that alien "11" I wrote above to "10".

Where it gets interesting is that we already have a base twelve system here on earth. Or at least we used to.
You know, because 12 is a dozen, and two dozen is a score, and twelve dozen is a gross. - But the aliens write out a gross as "100".

We got ten fingers and use a base ten number system. What I can't figure out is how our ten finger system retains properties such as stated in the topic post. The nine would lose its mystical power of multiplication and addition of the digits resulting in nine exactly every time in a base 12 system. I think? Not sure but I can't seem to reconcile it.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I thought I had 8 fingers & 2 thumbs.

·
Registered
12,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought I had 8 fingers & 2 thumbs.

Oh right, the four finger per a hand, thumb included, like most cartoon characters. They would count on eight fingers, a base 8 system- 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,10.

So their "100" would be equal to our sixty-four. But cartoons are completely incapable of conceptualizing the number nine. So the trick mentioned in the topic would not work for them at all, obviously.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
OT In UK we once had something approaching the base 12 (duodecimal) system, and it was great.

As a boy and young man we had a currency where 12 pennies made a shilling and 20 shillings made pound (£). It was wonderfully flexible and easy to use. Similarly goods were often sold in dozens so pricing was simple too. You can divide the pound into two, three, four, five, six, eight, or ten parts with normal coinage. Try doing that with a dollar or the now decimal pound!

Children nowadays are taught to use all sorts of base units in their maths lessons.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Just curious.

Here is something curious- you can multiply the number nine by any other number add the single digits created by the multiplication, and they will add up to the number nine. For instance, nine times six is thirty six, and three and six add up to nine. Or, nine times twelve is 108, and 1+0+8 equals -nine. Or, (here is where you need to pay attention) nine times one hundred and twenty equals 1080, and 1+0+8+0=9. Or, nine times 2022(today's year) = 18,198 and 1+8+1+9+8= 27 wait what?

Pretty neat huh?

Same thing happens when you add the digits and then subtract the result...example. 99...9+9 = 18. 99-18=81...8+1=9. 258...2+5+8=15...258-15=243...2+4+3=9. It's called "Casting Out the Nines". It works for multiplication as well because multiplication is just repeated addition.
It works for time as well with minor adjustments. 10:06...1+0+0+6=7...10:06-7 minutes is 9:59...9+5+9=23...9:59-23 minutes=9:36...9+3+6=18(1+8) ...9:36-18 minutes=9:18...9+1+8=18(1+8) ...9:18-18 minutes is 9:00. 9:00-9 minutes= 8:51...8+5+1=14. 8:51-14 minutes = 8:37...8+3+7=18(1+8) ...etc. See the pattern? Everything always comes back to nine (9). Our "Creator" knew what he was doing...(y)

·
Registered
12,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No doubt The Creator knew what he is doing. He still knows what he is doing, Daustin.

Eugene, I suppose now we know why nothing was ever priced at one-seventh pound sterling. Here in the states we use the penny-weight on occasion for little bits of precious metals. 1.555 grams or 24 grains of a 480 grain troy ounce. Back in the day they did use fractional coinage- that how come two-bits is a quarter, with each bit being 1/8th of a silver coin.

Nowdays we got cheap solar powered electronic calculators made in China, so most of us just let the Chineese do our math for us. A tremendous step backwards in my opinion.

·
Registered
12,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh right, I forgot what I started out about- germatria.

Just as every Universal Purchase Code uses three sixes, The Good Book mentions the Number of the Beast being 666. Reckon that one- 74 units of nine, 37 units of 18. Or, you can start adding digits. 6+6+6= nine. Is a UCP barcode the mark of the Beast? Maybe.

But don't worry too much about the UPC until the government tries to stamp it on your right hand or on your forehead.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts

Just curious.

Pretty neat huh?

Just for the record...nine times six is fifty four, not thirty six.

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
This reminds me of a trick from third grade for multiplying by nine using your fingers.
Remember how that worked?
Yeah, you raise your 2 middle fingers to the teacher to let her know what you think about learning multiplication. Works like a charm! :D

·
Registered
12,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just for the record...nine times six is fifty four, not thirty six.
Yes, I think faster than I type and get ahead of my dyslexia on occasion. :)

And five plus four still equals nine.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
What... only numbers you need to know is what the total is & the casher tells you that, that thingy even lets the casher know how much of those numbers you get back. Now that's easy, no finger counting needed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts