Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever noticed the stench of rio shotshells? the shell itself doesn't stink but the "smoke" smells very unpleasant to say the least. does anyone know why they smell so bad? or am I the first to notice/care? on a side note I like the smell of my federal multi-purpose loads.(it smells like gunpowder should.)

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
mr.sleepy444 said:
has anyone ever noticed the stench of rio shotshells? the shell itself doesn't stink but the "smoke" smells very unpleasant to say the least. does anyone know why they smell so bad? or am I the first to notice/care? on a side note I like the smell of my federal multi-purpose loads.(it smells like gunpowder should.)
Rio's smelling bad? Heck, I'd be worring about them Estates! - them things are EVIL I tell ya.

MM3

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
mr.sleepy444,

No, you're not alone -- I have just about always noticed RIO's have a strong odor almost unmistakable for some form of ammonia;

Some PMC 28 ga's I've fired have a smell which, at times, reminds me of the old hog-pen I used to throw feed into twic a day back when, and;

There are times I caught a good whiff of an Estate coming out of a breech and caught myself short of gagging, but;

all that said . . .

the fact the above 3 shells are so-o-o-o much more affordable than anything else I have access to make any odors a NON-issue with me!

Not to mention the RIO and PMC's are not only reloadable but, EXCEPTIONALLY CLEAN shooting!

·
Registered
210 Posts
That smoke may not be chemical compounds at all - but VERY reactive chemical "intermediates".

If one of the big companies could do a little gc/mass spec and let us know which brew is better - well, I'd pay extra for safer combustion products.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i guess since I never shoot Estates I haven't noticed. Also if I remember correctly the Remington factory loads smelt like windex. but so does the clays powder I use and maybe the green dot.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Just don't inhale while you're shooting (hey, it worked for a former president!!). This time of year it's either raining or blowing (or both) enough that you shouldn't be getting much smoke in your face anyway :D.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts