Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seem to be some problems with the function of the site on some questions but I thought it was interesting to see such a detailed quiz on a general interest site. Some of the questions will surely trip up quite a number of folks... and the quiz answers are correct!

http://science.howstuffworks.com/shotgu ... ns(desktop)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Some of the questions are vague and the answers are opinionated. This went around quite some time ago. If you follow up on some of the links to other firearms quizzes on that site, you'll find plenty other vague questions and subjective answers. Its a fun exercise but not exceedingly accurate.

·
Registered
27,086 Posts
Some of the answers are subjective, while others are just plain incorrect

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oneounceload said:
Some of the answers are subjective, while others are just plain incorrect
In some cases it appeared to me that the programming of the web site may have been the problem rather than the questions/answers... An interesting diversion nonetheless.

·
Registered
27,086 Posts
#4 comparing recoil of 12 vs 20 - without knowing payloads and gun weights, their answer just isn't going to be correct all the time
#5 comparing 3 to 3.5" shells - their answer is bigger bruises, not bigger payload
#14 re: trigger pull weight, mine are 3#; definitely NOT 9#
#18 I consider the MAJOR drawback of a "sawed-off" shotgun to be the legal aspects (unless one has the NFA paperwork). Accuracy with them at their intended range is acceptable and can always be improved by installing chokes.
#19, while the selection is correct, their reasoning is not = "Without the rifling, the slugs would be far less accurate."
#20, comparing a 20 to a 44 mag, again, WHAT loads from each? Ambiguous at best
#23 they state a 20 is more powerful than a 10 gauge; and their reasoning? - "10-gauge versions are less common because they are heavier and more unwieldly, but they also pack a huge punch." - contradicts their own question
#26 comparing magnum shells to normal - again, ambiguous without knowing WHAT ammo they are comparing.
#27, their answer is not necessarily 100% correct
#28, completely false - regarding shooting slugs through a regular smoothbore - "Some special slugs even have their own rifling right on the slug to make them more accurate"
#30 - ambiguous, they do not state whether they are comparing shells of equal velocity.

11/30 that are incorrect or ambiguous - 1/3 of that test - makes it a TOTAL fail from its title "The Ultimate Shotgun Quiz"

It was humorous to read though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.