Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
lead shot is being banned in the EU not just for hunting but for sport shooting as well. I have yet to see a single migratory bird ever on any of the skeet/trap ranges where I shoot but lead shot is being banned at these ranges to protect migratory birds nevertheless. The real reason is to make sport shooting as complicated and expensive as possible so people just give up.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
It would take all of 4 days just to read through (and fully understand) this BS proposal, let alone write any sort of educated response. While the the video host thinks this will cover the entire Federally owned landscape, it appears from a quick glance at the proposal that the bans will initially apply only to the 19 specific stations named in the proposal. I would also add that the proposal includes some very specific guidelines on how you can comment and the guidelines do not allow emails. So, good luck with getting any meaningful comment submitted by the deadline of 8/8/2022.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I certainly don’t support new laws requiring shooters to use steel shot for shooting clays, however, the pressure to reduce the use of lead shot is likely only going to increase.

What I don’t understand is why the NSSA / NSCA doesn’t limit 12 gauge skeet and sporting clays events to 1oz loads as is already the case in FITASC.

Although this won’t be enough for most wactivists, this small step would enable the NSSA / NSCA to show it is taking action.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lead is bad, but how about lead wheel weights, lead-acid batteries and some of the biggies as listed by the EPA - ore and metals processing and piston-engine aircraft operating on leaded aviation fuel. These are the biggest causes of lead pollution per the government. Shooting sports not so much. Of course, shooting lead into water, well that did kill a lot of birds and so steel did solve that. But on a managed range that controls run off and has mitigation procedures in place, why not have lead ammo?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I brought this up to fellow members at my skeet/trap club earlier this year. The EU already requires steel for assorted clay sports and it is a matter of time until it happens here. I live where bald eagles nest and am not convinced that steel is the answer. There are many more wounded animals that run off to die by using steel than lead and I don't think this was taken into accounts when the laws were put into place.

I put my opinion on the page listed above. Everyone needs to put one as well since if your not a part of the solution, your part of the problem.

·
Registered
69 Posts
lead shot is being banned in the EU not just for hunting but for sport shooting as well. I have yet to see a single migratory bird ever on any of the skeet/trap ranges where I shoot but lead shot is being banned at these ranges to protect migratory birds nevertheless. The real reason is to make sport shooting as complicated and expensive as possible so people just give up.
I see doves at our club all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
The answer will be to ignore the law in huge numbers just like BLM and other groups ignore laws. My range will ignore any such ban.

·
Registered
Huglu hawk 28ga
215 Posts
Hopefully they allow the use of lead until you run out, no new lead sales after a set point in time. That way we can use the supply we have on hand and allow manufacturers time to get ready for the swap

·
Registered
11 Posts
Take a lead fishing weight and then file it to make a little pile of lead shavings. Then pour that onto your child's cereal. No?

After a hundred years of hunting on some grounds, the lead is building up. It is toxic. There are no "wild" places on the continental US anymore. Someone has shot there and released toxic metals.

But I agree with superslickie, of all the horrors we have unleashed on our environment, the hunters are not the top priority. Just shoot out the old stocks and plan for the new non-toxic solutions.

My only astonishment is that people who hold onto that lead isn't bad. Maybe you have some lead pipes in your water supply and are just a representative of the outcome?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Take a lead fishing weight and then file it to make a little pile of lead shavings. Then pour that onto your child's cereal. No?

After a hundred years of hunting on some grounds, the lead is building up. It is toxic. There are no "wild" places on the continental US anymore. Someone has shot there and released toxic metals.

But I agree with superslickie, of all the horrors we have unleashed on our environment, the hunters are not the top priority. Just shoot out the old stocks and plan for the new non-toxic solutions.

My only astonishment is that people who hold onto that lead isn't bad. Maybe you have some lead pipes in your water supply and are just a representative of the outcome?
How do you think that these lead shavings get into your kid's cereal?

Lead encapsulates itself when it hits the ground. Here in Germany, the municipal environmental departments test the ground water and any local streams or rivers that are in close proximity to shooting ranges for evidence of lead contamination and they never have found any trace of it. Now if a migratory bird ingests the lead thinking it is ingesting small stones to help break up food in its gizzard and you eat that bird, you might get some lead in your system. But that isn't happening here in Europe.

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
I bet it is not happening in the US either but we must be convinced that any use of lead will bring about the early demise of civilization. It is also a documented fact that lime use on farm lands acts to mitigate any transference to surface water. Lead is the latest boogeyman and IMO it is all hyperbole lacking evidence from using lead shot in hunting.

Reactions: lossking

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I wonder if anyone has tested the federal ground around Gettysburg for lead issues?

Lead shot build-up from hunting the uplands goes nowhere....Canaan Valley, one of the listed NWRs, is upland tho the tiny Blackwater does flow through it.
Lead sinkers would never have been a large issue in fishing for the brook trout of the Blackwater tho.
Commonsense appears a rarity.....commonsense best addresses issues of concern.

My experience with the Canaan Valley NWR indicated that, once, it was made quite difficult to receive a free hunting permit.
Last I checked, the process was simplified.....often, I am led to assume that individual management assumes too much responsibility.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts