Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the market being what it is, it could be very cost effective to reload than it once was not long ago. This depends on where you live and what you are able source. For me, reloading is very cost effective because shotshell ammo availability is iffy. I can still get components at good prices except primers. I bought 5k of Cheddite from BPI back in July for $37/1K which is a fair price before shipping and hazmat. So, the cost per primer spiked the price per round for me a little. High prices for factory ammo is not going away. Currently I am reloading for $6.5-$7/box. Think carefully before you ditch reloading.

·
Premium Member
2,018 Posts
Exactly!!!
I wanted to shoot yesterday, I had no ammo. So I walked into my home office and loaded a flat. It cost me $50 to do so, can't find factory stuff at that price any more.
I got into reloading shotshells a few years ago, not due to price, but due to the current ammo laws here in Kaliforistan. I'm glad I did, also glad I stocked up on components when I did.

Reactions: BajaJames

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
I am still using components bought before the insanity so my prices are running ~$4/box for 3/4oz 12 or 20 gauge reloads. I save factory for the tournaments and use in the semi.

·
Registered
21,820 Posts
I am reloading 7/8 and 1 ounce for less than $5.00 a box, I would reload only 7/8 ounce, but the A5 16 Ga will not cycle even my stout 16 Ga loads, so I feed it 1 ounce loads.

cdb

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also started reloading when California decided that old farts who shoot clays are too dangerous to buy ammo without undergoing a criminal background check. Not because I have a record but because I am deeply offended at being treated like a criminal. My club still sells powder and primers at reasonable prices but does not stock lead shot. I recently bought Eagle 7.5 locally at $63/bag.

·
Registered
122 Posts
When the supply of Win 209's was starting to tighten (last fall, I think), I lucked into a sleeve of NobelSport for $15/k. Still have about 2k left. Also laid up adequate powder at that time. Only component I've needed recently was shot, which was Eagle at $45. I haven't penciled out my current cost. I doubt I'm under $5/box anymore, but it beats haunting Wal-Mart in hopes of lucking into something.

One thing is for sure - it no longer looks crazy to stockpile a couple years worth of components.

·
Registered
7,099 Posts
High prices for factory ammo is not going away.
Disagree. The high prices will go away very rapidly once supply returns. We have been in this exact same situation several times in the last decade or so and prices always rebounded. No reason to believe they won't this time. Also, Walmart has not jacked their prices much. Just the other day my local Walmart had a pallet of Federals for $22 per 4-pack. They didn't last long, but most people can still find reasonable priced ammo with diligence and effort. You just won't find it sitting in your house surfing the internet.

·
Registered
21,820 Posts
Disagree. The high prices will go away very rapidly once supply returns. We have been in this exact same situation several times in the last decade or so and prices always rebounded. No reason to believe they won't this time. Also, Walmart has not jacked their prices much. Just the other day my local Walmart had a pallet of Federals for $22 per 4-pack. They didn't last long, but most people can still find reasonable priced ammo with diligence and effort. You just won't find it sitting in your house surfing the internet.

I think prices will stay high, due to inflation, you can’t spend trillions of dollars you don’t have, crank up the presses, and expect inflation to stay low. Prices may go down some, but not to levels we were used to having in 2020. JMO

cdb

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is a timely post. A friend who is a high volume shooter is becoming increasingly wary about the availability of factory ammunition and called me last night. He gave up reloading several years ago, but didn't sell his reloader(s) and wanted some input regarding components and most available/desirable hulls. His concern is this is going to continue well beyond anyone's expectations and is seriously thinking about reloading shells again to give him greater assurance of having ammo to shoot, despite the continued shortage of components. With the current state of things, being a reloader definitely has been "value added", assuring me to having something to shoot. Without my reloader and shells that I had made, I would have been in a world of hurt most of this year.

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Federal has raised prices 3 times this year with a fourth November coming. Since they are currently the major maker with Federal and Remington, prices are not coming down, if at all, for quite some time.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I reload because its hard to find a good hunting load in my area. 28ga 3/4 oz 6 shot. 20ga 1oz 6 shot. I can find 12ga and 28ga in top gun. And AA hs ammo in 12 and 28ga. . A few 20ga dove loads. I been buying 1000 cheddite 209 for 50.00 locally. Walmart has Winchester 28ga AA hs 7.5. Cheaper than federal 28ga top gun 8 shot .

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I am lucky to have stocked up well before all this craziness and in the last 18 months have not been able to shoot much anyway.

Bob

·
Registered
30 Posts
I’ve been reloading a long time even if it wasn’t worth it financially. Anyways when components went on sale I would always buy in bulk and I’m sure glad I did it these days.
I feel sorry for guys that can’t find any and even sorry-er for guys that can only find those cheap, and sh****, kick hard as a mule Walmart shells.

Have you all ever opened one of those bottom-feeders open? The wad in them is a cheap as hell two-piece wad and the”crush section” is a tube. A freaking shoulder bruising tube!

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I’ve been reloading a long time even if it wasn’t worth it financially. Anyways when components went on sale I would always buy in bulk and I’m sure glad I did it these days.
I feel sorry for guys that can’t find any and even sorry-er for guys that can only find those cheap, and sh****, kick hard as a mule Walmart shells.

Have you all ever opened one of those bottom-feeders open? The wad in them is a cheap as hell two-piece wad and the”crush section” is a tube. A freaking shoulder bruising tube!
The effect of the design of the wad on recoil is about as close to zero as you can get.

·
Premium Member
2,018 Posts
I had the opportunity to buy an 8lb jug of Clay Dot yesterday, I passed. Not due to price, I just don't need it right now, and won't for a long while. I figured I'd let someone who does need it have it. I'm fully stocked on components and still loading a box for $5.00. I do hope this craziness ends soon, it will be nice to see more people out shooting again.

·
Registered
7,099 Posts
I think prices will stay high, due to inflation, you can’t spend trillions of dollars you don’t have, crank up the presses, and expect inflation to stay low. Prices may go down some, but not to levels we were used to having in 2020. JMO

cdb
However, the premise of the post is that reloading will have more appeal due to high ammo prices. If inflation is what keeps ammo prices high, it will also keep component prices high. The high prices you are seeing now are not due to inflation, they are due to low supply and high demand.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I’m flush with enough components to last a year. I’m hoping that’s enough to weather the storm.
I haven’t seen any Winchester or Remington’s for sale at my local club for over a year now. And as I walk that Sporting Clays course I pick over the hulls laying on the ground very very few American brand hulls laying on the ground. Even Gun Clubs are rare.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I expect we will see ammo for sale before we see primers for sale. Why would an ammo company sell primers when their much higher margin ammo production lags because of a shortage of primers?

The only thing that might change that is if Cheddite chooses to market large volumes of primers in USA. There have been Gun Clubs loaded with externally sourced primers (imported?). I don't know if Remington now being part of Vista makes that more or less likely in the future.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts