Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about selling my A-5 stalker light. How hard is it to sell a gun to someone over the internet? I don't have a paypal account, nor do I really want one to be honest. How would I ship it, what would it cost, who pays for it?

Never thought much about it to be honest.

I thought I would give you guys first crack at it at any rate.

If anyone is interested or can answer my questions let me know.

Nothing wrong with the gun, I have barely shot it. I just want something different and need to sell something to get it. I was thinking about trading it at the local shop but I know I will take a bath on it.

Paul

·
Registered
194 Posts
Paul, have bought off the internet before. Simply stated, who pays for what is between you and the customer. Would recommend you establish an asking price and negoitate from there. You may want to check gunbroker to see what comparable guns are going for.

As for shipping, believe it must go through a FFL or be face to face transaction to be in compliance. Usually, the buyer must pay a transfer fee on his end to his FFL dealer. Sounds like you'll need to do the same.

For what its worth- can you describe the gun- gauge, chamber length (sounds like a 12 ga, 2 3/4 in chamber), barrel length, choke if fixed, choke tubes included if otherwise.

Good luck

·
Registered
962 Posts
Paul,
You can personally ship a shotgun to a buyer in another state but only if you ship to a FFL licensed dealer. You do not need to ship FROM a ffl dealer. You will need to get the ffa licence # and address from the buyer and ship to the address on the license. Verification of ffl can be found here:
https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

UPS will not ship firearms and you can expect a lot of questions from the USPS, but they will ship, either by insured or registered mail shotguns that have not been modified or guns with barrels not shorter than 20"(?).

I've found shipping with insurance (you want it anyway) is the best way to go. Registered mail required special tape that no one seems to have on hand.

It will cost you at least 30.00 to package and ship a shotgun through insured mail, so be sure to add that onto the cost of your transaction. The 'receiving' fee at the licensed ffa will be assumed by the person picking up the gun.

This is the current shipping restriction: copied from Gunbroker.com;
<<<<<<Shipping>>>>>>>>>>

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Paul,
I buy quite a few guns on the internet but I RARELY sell them out of state on the internet.

What I've found is that it's pretty easy to find buyers in your own state on regional hunting websites and usually get the price I'm asking.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I really didn't want to go into a bunch of detail unless someone was actually interested. Still not sure how the money would get transfered. I am not real keen on putting a gun in the mail without seeing the money first. And I wouldn't want to send someone money without seeing the gun first if I were on the other end. Sort of creates a problem doesn't it :wink: .

It is a 1992 model (as far as I can tell) 12 ga A-5 stalker light with a 22" barrel. It is in very good shape I don't think it was fired much before I got it, and I have barely shot it at all to be honest. Someone has replaced the front bead with a green fiber optic one. and it has sling swivel studs on it. I'm not really sure what I want for it, I was sort of hoping for offers to be honest. I was thinking of asking $600 if I put it in the paper and see what happens. I check gun broker every now and then but hardly ever see a stalker. I have been told by you guys you see them go for around 6 or 7 hundred bucks.

I have posted pictures of it before on here but I don't think any of them are hosted anymore. I can't upload any right now because I am not at my computer. Well I may have one on the internet hosted that I could post.

Ok, I found one, but later I can take some better ones and upload them if someone wants.

I didn't think about finding a regional forum, duh :roll: . I was going to put it on a classifieds site but hardly any of the ones I found will allow firearms. I saw some on there anyway, but I don't to do it if it is not allowed.

I still may take a few guns to the local shop just to see what they tell me. There is nothing wrong with the gun, I just want a varmint rifle is all. And in order for me to buy something I need to either trade or sell something. I have no "extra" cash to buy toys with if you know what I mean.

I live in Blissfield MI by the way. If someone lives local and wants to check it out I'm laid off so I have plenty of time and if you have a place to shoot it I'm cool with that.

Paul

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have sold a number of guns to residents of other states through Gunbroker.com and GunsAmerica.com. As previously mentioned, you must ship to an FFL in the buyer's state of residence. Federal firearms laws do not require an FFL to be involved if you sell to a resident in your own state (be sure and check your state and local laws).

Also, buyers expect to pay for a gun before you ship it to their FFL. There is an online escrow service for firearms but I've never used it, so do your homework.

Finally, you can ship firearms by UPS if you follow the rules outlined in their Tariff/Terms of Service. Some UPS employees will tell you otherwise, but it's baloney. You must drop it off at a UPS shipping center, declare it, require an adult signature when delivered, and if it's a handgun, send it by Next Day Air.

FYI, PayPal doesn't allow you to use the service for firearms transactions.

Good luck.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys, I no longer have the gun. I apologize to the couple of guys that tried to get a hold of me. I forgot all about putting this post on here, and I don't come to this site all the time. I ended up getting called back to work after a week, but they put me on second shift, then right before Christmas I had to work all kinds of goofy hours. Like one day on nights then a day on a split shift and two days on day shift.

My original intention was to put an add on hunting.net and then one on here and see what happened. Well I put one on the other site late at night and was going to put one on here the next day. I had quite a few responses the next day and forgot all about putting them up for sale here. I sold three guns and they went pretty quick, and I sold them to the people in the order they contacted me.

I actually ended up trading the A-5 for a savage .243 in stainless.

Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts