Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay my GF has load data for a 10ga. shotgun load using 3oz. of hevi-shot comming out the end of a sawed of 18.5" barrel at 950fps. The load is pressure tested at 10.4K pressure.

So okay this load is put forth to be the "baddest" tactical load for shotguns; a lots of very heavy metal moving at a good clip tear the bad guy to shreds and because of the lower velocity not go through two house walls and kill the neighbors.

So my question (poll) is in your opinion is that in fact the "baddest" defensive shotgun load --- 3oz. of hevi-shot at 950fps. out of a sawed off you've ever heard of ? No, that 3oz. part is not a misprint.

No, I'm not going to post the load data, and yes I'm aware of the legal ramifications of using reloads in tactical situations. Just wondering if that's the "baddest" load all you guys have ever heard of. I know it's the nastiest I've ever seen.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
It's easy to get too enraptured with stopping power and forget utility.

I'd imagine a 40mm grenade launcher sized shotgun shell would be pretty swell but how useful is it?

Plus a really heavy load would be less controllable in a platform not known for slight recoil.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I prefer 1-1/4 oz of buckshot in a semi-auto, I could comfortably shoot 8 BG's in the time it took ya to fire that 10ga one time and then find where it went after it took your shoulder off :lol:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Well, its a 10 ga. Obviously a 10 ga. 3 1/2" can carry a lot more payload than a 12 ga., but who wants to shoot it and who can afford to shoot it often? Certainly the load you mention is as powerful as any shot shell I can recall hearing about, but its not very practical. I'll stick with standard 12 ga. 2 3/4" inch buckshot loads. Is this load you referenced somebody's handload?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yah, I know, it's not very practical --- I just was like in total shock when I saw it. One of those H*ly Sh*t moments.

Actually the load data is infact a handload but it has been tested with a pressure trace system to verify that it is safe.

My GF is actually trying to use the load data to make a Dixie style triple ball load for deer hunting with a 10ga. turkey gun.

Just thought I'd post it here for sh*ts and giggles. It's the craziest load I've ever seen !!! You'd probably only be able to get off one shot --- but if you made a good shot --- well lets just say I think they might have trouble identifying the body :twisted: !!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I use #1 buck in a 10ga handload for deer hunting with awesome results. Never minded the recoil when shooting at a deer. The pattern testing and development of the handload is a different story. 12ga 870 for tactical work w/ Fed LE or Hevi-shot 00 buck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts