Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in a crock pot; potatoes, onions, carrots: add 2 prarie chickens, breast and wings, add steak spice and tariyaki sauce. cook on high for 8 hours. chicken tasted like liver, carrots and onions were hard, felt sick right after eating, had to go to bed early. today i have diareah. lol any crock pot recipes recommended????????? we usually do goose breast for 24 hours and its incredibly tender.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Bloodvette,
The secret to cooking dark meated birds - huns, prairie chickens, ducks, doves, pigeons is to not over cook the birds.

Medium Rare is the best way to serve any of these I've found.
The hotter the skillet the better.

Try that recipe this way next time. Braise them.
Take a really hot cast iron skillet and drop just a little olive oil in it so the birds won't stick, fry on both sides just long enough to sear the outside of the bird, then pour your liquid directly onto the birds, just enough to cover 7/8ths. Now lid this pan or tin foil and get it into a preheated 325 degree oven. Don't over cook this, take them out in about 15 minutes.

Now take some Tony Chacheres gravy mix and in a small sauce pan follow the directions on the Tony mix and use the bird liquid instead of water.

Serve with garlic mashed potatoes and a green vege.

You're all set.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Here's the BEST way to eat dark meated fowl, especially geese:

In a kettle add -

1 whole goose, cleaned and quatered
cup of diced onions.
cup of diced carrots.
cup of diced celary.
add 1 chicken bullion cube,
a pinch of rosemary
a pinch of oregano
1 can of tomato puree
2 quarts of water

bring to a boil and let simmer on low heat for 6 - 7 hours or until goose looks like its cooked.

Remove the goose quaters and feed it to your cat. Don't give it to your dog, he'll never hunt for you again!

Get the soup and fertilize your garden.

That stuff is nasty, thats why around here we call them SKY-CARP :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sweet16 said:
suddenly I don't want to go goose hunting.
Seriously, I had eaten goose once at a game dinner. My cousin cooked it for around 8 or 9 hours. I didn't know what it was and I thought I was eating some type of lamb or goat or something like that. I had no idea it was goose. It didn't taste bad but it was very tough and chewy. And from what my cousin told me about the recipe, he could have cooked an old shoe and it wouldn't have tasted too bad.

Hey, come to think of it,,,,,why that bum! :wink:

I know another fella that is supposed to have a great recipe for goose jerky. I've never tried it but I hear it's great. And this guy won't part with the recipe either.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Here you go boy's. You can take the finest piece of meat (beef, turkey, whatever) and gum it up.

For Goose here you go:

http://www.recipesource.com/fgv/stuffing/index1.html

Scroll down on that until you hit apple herb and/or apple almond stuffing.

Now get a goose (skycarp) and get the guts out and get the thing cooled off in the field as soon as you shoot the thing.

When you get home, pluck it (50 ways to do it, just get it done). The skin is VERY important for holding in juices for goose.

Now stuff the bird with the stuffing mix from above link and cook bird slowly inside of a broiling bag. Treat the thing like a big ol' butterball. You'll not be disappointed. 325 degree oven and cook 18 minutes per pound. You'll know when it's done.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I rather eat goose/duck than turkey. :D Easy and my favorite way to cookem :wink:
I breast out all my waterfoul. Soak the meat in Margarita mix over night. Got that idea form Rick618 who says those Bama boys are worthless :D
Then coat them with fresh ground black pepper/White pepper/Garlic salt/ Onion power/Cayanne Pepper.
Then fire up your carcoal grill perferably a webber. And get it twice a hot as you normaly do. :twisted:
Duck 5min a side.
Goose 10min a side.
What ever you do DON"T OVERCOOK IT :( No more than PINK!!
If you got a covered grill throw in some Mesquite/Hickory or apple wood. That will really kick it up a notch :D

Best meat there is :!:
Made myself hungery gotta go :D

Scott

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
"cook on high for 8 hours" roflmao I don't even cook my jerky that long. Next time try some cream of mushroom soup in the mix and cook on low for 2 to 4 hours depending on how rare you like your bird. I stay away from the spicies and add some smoke salt to the bird while soaking it.

Another thing you can try is keep the liquid up in the mix and then add rice to it to soak up the liquid.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Next time, try plucking it first..........but seriously, skin it out, breast it, soak it in vinegar and water overnight, and the secret with any wild game is slow and long, not high and long.
also, the steak spice and teriaki together may have been the cause of your intestinal discomfort!
Sometimes, I marinate my wild game in a bit of wine and olive oil
as well, this softens the meat and imparts a nice flavor as well.
Good luck!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Marinate anything in Kraft Italian dressing overnight, grill it on a charcoal (weber) fast.

As for Goose (breasted), strong tasting. Cook it like fresh tuna, sear it fast in a super hot pan. The Kraft Italian has enough garlic and spices in it to take the edge off the strong taste.

Simple one for doves and goose

Marinate in Kraft Italian dressing overnight
slice jalapenos
slide fresh garlic
slide a pocket in the breast - insert jalapeno/garlic and philly cream cheese
wrap in good bacon
put on wooden skewers
cook fast on hot charcoal grill
cook the remaining jalapeno/garlic in foil with some bacon

:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.