Shotgun Forum banner
21 - 40 of 94 Posts

· Registered
6,302 Posts
^^^This in spades +1000^^^

Just a very minor ding in the damaged area will leave a very noticeable scar when you go to repair the break. It can be covered up, how well depends on the skill of the repair person and at an increased cost, but it will be noticeable to anyone who looks.

I personally would wrap an Ace bandage around the butt until I could take/send it in for repair just to prevent such damage. I would open my search to furniture repair persons too, repairing finished wood is pretty much the same and someone like that would probably have more experience than most "gunsmiths". You are also more likely to find one close to home. I've done this on several guns and the repairs were more than satisfactory - even on those missing the broken off piece.

Seeing the amount and swirling figure in the broken area, it seems to be a problem in the blank. That would probably not be covered by a warranty. I had a similar grain related break in the part of the stock that covered the receiver of my 20 ga Citori 525. I took it to a local guy who repairs furniture and he glassed/epoxied it back together. 3000+ rounds later it is still holding.

· Registered
168 Posts
New (to me) gun.
Very pretty stock. Changed shim and piece broke off when replacing recoil pad.
Never even shot gun.:poop:
View attachment 66078
I build bows get you some smooth on
It’s what we laminate woods together with. It will be repaired for life.

· Premium Member
8,038 Posts
Let’s hear it
Picked up a new Perazzi about 30 years ago. The dealer had the pro shop at the old Pachmayer club. Walked out the door, onto the 5 stand, loaded the first two shells and called for the target. Broke the first bird, broke the second, but something felt VERY strange.

I was holding the forearm in my left hand, the rest of the gun in my right hand. And my hands were now 2’ apart. The forend split clean where the iron attached.

· Registered
2,049 Posts
I build bows get you some smooth on
It’s what we laminate woods together with. It will be repaired for life.
Thanks for the link!! Are you the guy that goes by Bow Builder on some forums?

· Registered
Fabarms L4s Initial Hunter Compact
843 Posts
We’ll it broke when you re-installed the screw. That should not happen no matter how many times it was done. Possible factory defect? That was my thought at the time.
If the pilot hole for the screw was not long enough, driving the screw in tighter would make the screw act like a wedge.
You can see the screw hole was placed very near the toe of the stock, a bad mechanical choice.
If the screw was "cross-threaded" and driven in at an angle, that could contribute. Or not putting a little wax on the screw to lubricate it. Or the pilot hole was too small a diameter.

But the user should be able to take the butt plate off and on without doing that. But now the thing is to get it fixed.

If the OP is not comfortable with this operation, any competent gunsmith can do a basic repair that may not be invisible but will be strong... but the customer should ask what to have done so it won't happen again.

· Registered
64 Posts
If I were you, I would but a thick recoil pad on it when you have the work done. It will provide protection for the stock. I have fixed a number of these that had hard rubber or plastic plates. It doesn't take much to loosen the grain.

· Registered
72 Posts
Oh man, what a shame. That looks like grade 3 wood? I'd be miffed to say the least. It will cost you, but as others have said, there are some competent Gunsmiths out there that can repair it like new.

21 - 40 of 94 Posts