Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well another session of sighting in days has come and gone at our club. We open it for an entire month to the "public". I can only say ONE thing....

I am glad I have hunted on private property.

Some of the things we have seen over the years are next to unbelievable but are not strange. This year gave us a few more to add . For instance.

3 Ramrods shot downrange at the 100 yd targets.
(Opps ! I guess I forgot to take it out .) "Do you guys sell spares."

"I just got this blackpowder gun yesterday". Unassembled, scope, mounts . "Can you put it together.Sight it in, AND teach me how to use it well enough so I can shoot 1" groups at 100 yds ? I am going hunting tommorrow morning " Ball starter ? What is a Ball starter? No I don't have one ? What do you mean I need primers ? Bore butter ? Etc. Etc. Happened many times.

8 MM Bullet reloads fired out of a 30-06 (This was an impressive recoil) . Loaded by whom ? The FN held together. This happened once before a few years back.

Just last year a 7x57 Cartridge was detonated in a 7mm Mag Chamber. This one almost cost a guy 3 of his fingers. They were swollen like sausages after the round went off. Gun held. Bolt immovable, floor plate blown open . Finally beat it open with a hammer handle. Only the back came out. The case was laminated to the chamber. "Is it safe to shoot he asks...I wouldn't would you ?

.308 Win. fired in a 30-06 (Not once but three times)

.270 Winchesters fired out of a 30-06. "Why is my accuracy so bad. Same case with .243 shot out of a .308

32 cal. bullets fired in a 30-30 (bullet pushed back) Reloaded by a friend. Now that was really a dangerous mix.

$95.00 spent on superslugs.....The target was safe at 100yds.
He adjusted his scope after every shot. "Naw I don't need any help...." So be it. He never was on paper but said the accuracy was good enough for him.

11 idiot marks (cuts) on forehead. One required 6 stitches.Most others the blood was just mopped up an a few butterflies put on the cuts.

Missing the entire target (2'x3') by 6 to 8 Feet after boresighting at a local stores. (All slug shotguns, new production Remington/Mossberg cantilever mounts at 50 yds. )Coincidence ? I just quit counting after a while. Note ! The older ones did fine.

A Husquavarna 30-06 with a stock and action held together by duct tape and the stock wrist with electical tape. We advised him not to shoot it.

Multiple bores with cleaning patches left in them. (We checked and they were removed before they went on the range )

Bores so bad that they are solid rust. Can't make out the lands and grooves. ( We caution them against using them that way)
"Oh hell,says Bubba. The first shot will clean that out...always has. "

Stuck bullets in muzzle loaders. Wrong caliber.

A scope mounted on a saddle mount with HOSE CLAMPS. (Yes. I do have a picture for my archives. ) I sighted him in and never cracked a smile.
He said he got an 8 point from his gun ( An 1100 with a 30 inch trap barrel so this was his good luck "gun".

"I can't get this gun to shoot right....checked." 6 different weights and manufacturers in his ammo carrier . "If it is 30-06 it is the RIGHT caliber. Leave me alone !" So we did.....

The more people you see on the the range.The more wierd incidences will occur.

If these guys had the restrictions/qualifications other countries have on hunters probably 50% would not be allowed in the field.
The really sad part is that very ,very few will even pick up the piece they hunted with until next year. A pity.
We are killing the sport with the type of people that go out without a clue......AND.....do not care or will not take the time to learn.

As for all the other breatheren who have taken the time..Welcome !

·
Registered
215 Posts
Awesome post, very funny and scary at the same time!
I know alot of people that sight in the weekend prior to opening day and never even look at their guns any other time of year. The price of ammo isn't helping anything either. Glad their is still fairly inexpensive rimfire ammo around to practice with.

Scott

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Before I bought my little house in the country and made myself a 125 yard range I belonged to a nice shooting club with a range to 200 yards, covered shooting benches and very nice overall.
It was amazing to me how many "hunters" showed up the Sunday prior to opening day with a a couple five packs of the cheapest Rem. and Win. fosters.
One guy set up half a box that a kitchen stove was packed in.
He was using a double Savage 12 bore wtih 28: mod and full.
Gasp!
He managed to actually hit the cardboard two of five shots at about 40 yards and pronounced himself deer worthy.
He was with three other guys, all usings pump guns with just the bead front sight.
Hits were random at best.
The real clincher was a group of three brothers that, at the last minute decided to join us for a muzzle loader late season hunt.
All three hauled new T/C Hawken rifles out of the pick up, still new in the boxes, assembled them in the dark prior to daybreak, loaded them and off they went.
The remarked that all T/C front stuffers were sighted in at the factory.
Gimme a break! :shock:

·
Registered
450 Posts
I know people that have not sighted in their gun for years. They just pick it up and hunt year after year. I work with a guy that does this with his 500 slug gun. "Old Bessy" worked last year, why wouldn't she this year?

It's hard living in lower MI and being into guns from a technical standpoint. I meet lots of people that are simply clueless. You find out someone hunts so you strike up a conversation with them. Ask something simple like "What kind of slugs do you use" and they say "I don't know, Winchesters I think". They don't know what model or or what weight or whether they are 3 inch or 2 3/4. I guess ignorance is bliss :?

And don't even get me started on archery :shock: . Holey crap are there a lot of hicks shooting bows. Even some of the shops are 15 years behind the curve. I see bow hunters talk a lot of crap about gun hunters but I have seen just as many stupid slob bow hunters as I have gun hunters.

I mean at least with a gun if you get the right ammo and are a half way decent shot you can kill a deer. Archery requires a certain amount of dedication and restraint some just don't seem to have, but they do it anyway. They pick up their bow the day before season and shoot it at a known distance in jeans and a T shirt into a nine inch group and call it good. Then wonder why they miss or wound game out of a tree stand. Hmmm, let me think about that one. Maybe it's because your lazy and you suck? Na, that can't be it.

Sorry, I'm rambling and ranting guys.

Funny stories anyway.

Paul

·
Registered
384 Posts
Who !!!!! I've seen people stupid with guns but never even seen some of the things you guys say are common place. :shock:

I do have to say though that a pump with just a bead sight and cheap foster slugs in and of itself is not a bad thing --- If the owner/hunter has shot quite a few of those slugs through it and can hit a paper plate size target consistently and then limits him/her-self to that range or closer. Just because it's not a rifled barrel gun or expensive slugs doesn't mean it's not adequate within its range limits if the hunter does their part.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I actually shoot pretty well with just a front bead. Depends on how good your form is and what range you want to shoot at I guess. It does take practice though.

I'm not saying I am going to shoot deer at 100 yards with a smooth bore and bead sight, but 30 to 50 yards isn't a big problem for me. Probably 4 or 5 inch groups usually better with slugs my gun likes.

I guess traditional archery equipment should be outlawed as well, since they don't use any sights at all? Even though some of them can group better at 30 yards than some slug gun shooters with adjustable sights.

Paul

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Some people are their own worst enemy. There's no cure for the dumb factor. The problem is we as shooters and hunters suffer when something tragic happens and the grabbers start pointing fingers at the people who care enough to become educated and proficient with firearms, shooting, and hunting as being as guilty as the the idiots. Whether we like it or not, it's our obligation make sure the offender knows it when they do something stupid because it effects everyone, not just the idiot pulling the trigger. That applies to the game laws as well. It never ceases to amaze me how many people brag about breaking the game laws. Using beads for sights is legal in most states, but IMO not ethical for taking deer over 40 yards. I would also add that I believe a LOT more deer are lost by bow hunters than are wounded and lost by gun hunters. I hear about deer being lost all bow season long from these guys.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since my background is of an "adoped son" of this country perhaps this opinion may not sit well with the readers.
(Yes ,I did serve in the Military in the Vietnam Era )

My dad who had his fill of guns during the WWII stunned me when he asked me when I was going to join the NRA when I said I was going to hunt. To him I thought it stood for National Recovery Act. Little did I know that dad was a bit more astute than I gave him credit.

"Support the organization that makes your ownership of firearms that much more possible. They are your solitary voice in politics.The Consitiution WILL have its naysayers. Defend it with your life. "

From as early as I can remember the ethics of Hunting were a part of my teachings. Learn, be proficient and most of all be respectful of your quarry. Your responsibility is to give that animal the civility of a quick dispatch. There are NO exceptions.

If you cannot do that you have no business in the field.

I have passed it on to my sons. My eldest the second year he went bow hunting came home dejected. He had been waiting for a 10 point to come out of the cedars as light was falling. He had waited for over an hour for him to come out. Finally he did. So I asked him. Did you miss ? "Dad, he walked out in a clearing no more that 25 yds from my stand ..I drew back and realized I couldn't see my pin clearly." Then what ?
His head hung down 'I just eased up on the bow and let him go." When I heard that I knew the lesson went through.

Teach your Kids the basics. Instill in them the ethics of a good hunter and the skills required to make them proficient....
It is YOUR job. Don't let it slide.

·
Registered
965 Posts
This thread is just way too tempting for me to resist the urge to suggest that ASSA members likely do better than most in the hunting part because they care enough about doing it right to PRACTICE and COMPETE at shooting slugs under controlled conditions that could arguably be seen as simulating deer hunting from a stand.

BTW, Paul, a few of us have tried hunting deer with just the trap shooting bead front sight, but we always seem to have trouble getting the deer to launch from the clays flinger......... Probably have to build a trebuchet to get the right trajectory.................1, 2, 3, PULL!!!........... :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
965 Posts
Geeeez, Neo! Is that the biggest Avatar ever, or what?

How'd you do that?

Speaking of which, thanks for your service to our country. Some of us remember, and appreciate, the efforts you made for us.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Yes, my avatar is probably the biggest. It's the one I've been using for several years now on other forums, though, so I just transfered it over to this forum as well when I joined here. It doesn't look over-size on the other forums, just looks like a crisper image. Guess it's a matter of forum coding being different from forum to forum.

·
Registered
965 Posts
turbo1889 said:
Yes, my avatar is probably the biggest. It's the one I've been using for several years now on other forums, though, so I just transfered it over to this forum as well when I joined here. It doesn't look over-size on the other forums, just looks like a crisper image. Guess it's a matter of forum coding being different from forum to forum.
Seems there was a coding quirk of some kind with Neo's avatar for a few days that made it full page width on my system, but perhaps not on his or yours........... Anyway, somebody made a change overnight, and now all looks normal, except of course for the somewhat bigger than usual mooning from your avatar. 'puters are SUCH fun :lol:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
neophyte said:
Since my background is of an "adoped son" of this country perhaps this opinion may not sit well with the readers.
(Yes ,I did serve in the Military in the Vietnam Era )

My dad who had his fill of guns during the WWII stunned me when he asked me when I was going to join the NRA when I said I was going to hunt. To him I thought it stood for National Recovery Act. Little did I know that dad was a bit more astute than I gave him credit.

"Support the organization that makes your ownership of firearms that much more possible. They are your solitary voice in politics.The Consitiution WILL have its naysayers. Defend it with your life. "

From as early as I can remember the ethics of Hunting were a part of my teachings. Learn, be proficient and most of all be respectful of your quarry. Your responsibility is to give that animal the civility of a quick dispatch. There are NO exceptions.

If you cannot do that you have no business in the field.

I have passed it on to my sons. My eldest the second year he went bow hunting came home dejected. He had been waiting for a 10 point to come out of the cedars as light was falling. He had waited for over an hour for him to come out. Finally he did. So I asked him. Did you miss ? "Dad, he walked out in a clearing no more that 25 yds from my stand ..I drew back and realized I couldn't see my pin clearly." Then what ?
His head hung down 'I just eased up on the bow and let him go." When I heard that I knew the lesson went through.

Teach your Kids the basics. Instill in them the ethics of a good hunter and the skills required to make them proficient....
It is YOUR job. Don't let it slide.
Hey Neo... Frickin boo yah!

You are welcome at my campfire any day.

:)

·
Registered
214 Posts
A guy strolled into my buds gun store last year with a beautiful Browning O/U that looked brand new.We all stood there stunned as he asked if they could shorten the barrels and drill and tap it for a scope base.The stores' gunsmith has his seperate shop a few buildings down from the store.To have a little fun,they sent him to the gunsmith.

I'm one of those guys who shoots with a bead and cheapo slugs.I shoot a Wingmaster-Mod choke-and use Rem Sluggers or Brenneke KOs.Forget the pie plate,I can usually do a snuff can at 50 yds. from a rest.I think that's pretty good.Of course,I've been using that gun for a long time and I use the same ammo all the time.If I am hunting in a place that allows longer shots,I use a scoped Remington 700 muzzle loader.

Jimmy D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts