Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts on the last National Championship targets at SAN Antonio?

I did not shoot them, the comments I have heard were: Main event were soft but fun, k cup way to soft, super sporting best targets of all.

Also there are some comments about very similar presentations on the main from past years, towers, rabbits, incommers, channels/battues set on the same place??

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I only shot the Main Event and KKup and thought the 2 courses were too much alike - both in the woods, whereas last year the KKup was out in more open country where you had some long and technical targets. Because there was an abundance of true pairs, I thought it kept it interesting and quite a few rabbits with some true pair stations. All in all, expected a little more variance from the 2 courses and it could have been more challenging IMHO.

The World English Sporting Championship will be in San Antonio in April and I expect the longer and more challenging targets to be in abundance.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I too thought that I had seen many of the presentation from years past. Some were even my own presentations. Terrain dictates presentation so many times different setters will throw similar presentations. I thought the degree of difficulty was very similar on all four courses of the main and maybe a little on the soft side but I enjoyed the targets. As I did last year I shot one of my worst scores at nationals. (was my 26 nationals) This had nothing to do with the targets and for the most part reflects what diabetes does to ones eyes.

I don't know this for a fact but I have a hunch that the difficulty was kept close to the same on each course just incase of another weather related event like last year. I hope this will not become a standard because I believe each course should reflect the personality of the setter. (Some set hard, some set soft and some set in between) I believe there is more to an event like nationals than just breaking a lot of targets. I like the challenge of harder targets as long as the less skilled shooters can break targets too. We all pay the same entry fee and come to have a good time so there is no need to beat anyone up. With that said those of us who like a little more of a challenge should be catered to also.

Because of my eyes, I decided not to shoot anything but the main. I did this to keep my national attendance going. If it had not been for this I would have stayed home. Being a longtime die hard shooter makes it hard for me not to attend and compete. My wife and I both have diabetes. Hers was brought on from the rejection drugs from her liver transplant 8 years ago last week. After seeing Glynne Moseley and what she was able to accomplish I am now motivated to get my sugar and weight under control. Wish me luck because I want to shoot.

Mike McAlpine

·
Registered
581 Posts
I wasn't there, but I didn't see six guys with a 300 shoot-off. You got world champions and multiple-time national champs and nobody went straight. And I'm sure there was a lot of C class shooters that went home with 200 that were crazy happy. Considering it takes 2k or more to shoot nationals, id say having 1900 people go home happy is a success.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mike McAlpine said:
I too thought that I had seen many of the presentation from years past. Some were even my own presentations. Terrain dictates presentation so many times different setters will throw similar presentations. I thought the degree of difficulty was very similar on all four courses of the main and maybe a little on the soft side but I enjoyed the targets. As I did last year I shot one of my worst scores at nationals. (was my 26 nationals) This had nothing to do with the targets and for the most part reflects what diabetes does to ones eyes.

I don't know this for a fact but I have a hunch that the difficulty was kept close to the same on each course just incase of another weather related event like last year. I hope this will not become a standard because I believe each course should reflect the personality of the setter. (Some set hard, some set soft and some set in between) I believe there is more to an event like nationals than just breaking a lot of targets. I like the challenge of harder targets as long as the less skilled shooters can break targets too. We all pay the same entry fee and come to have a good time so there is no need to beat anyone up. With that said those of us who like a little more of a challenge should be catered to also.

Because of my eyes, I decided not to shoot anything but the main. I did this to keep my national attendance going. If it had not been for this I would have stayed home. Being a longtime die hard shooter makes it hard for me not to attend and compete. My wife and I both have diabetes. Hers was brought on from the rejection drugs from her liver transplant 8 years ago last week. After seeing Glynne Moseley and what she was able to accomplish I am now motivated to get my sugar and weight under control. Wish me luck because I want to shoot.

Mike McAlpine
Take care of yourself! I have a friend who loves to shoot but he didn't take care of himself and now he sets at home wishing he would've! Sounds like you're on the right track. I'll pray for you and your wife today!

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Hi Mike, Sorry I missed you this year.
Regarding the targets; I found the M/AA 5 stand to be the most challenging. Then again when you don't have to set the targets for the lower classes you can ramp it up a bit. Especially memorable was the long screaming right to left crosser from behind the trap house on the last set. I hit it every time and after the shooting the rest of my squad was asking me how I did it. That paired with a rabbit on one of the true pairs was difficult but doable. There was a long outgoing target heading out of town quick on that same set. I ended up in a tie for 6th in AA class and relegated to 10th after the tie breakers. So I'm happy.
I thought that the K Cup was pretty soft even though there were a lot of true pairs. Stand #11 with the tower and the rabbit was obviously the separator.
I liked the Super Sporting event. Some good targets and some soft ones, a pretty good mix.
I enjoyed the main event though I didn't shoot well, or as well as I thought that I should have. I shot around my average. Shooting the two day rotation is the way to go for me. I didn't feel exhausted or beat up at the end of the event like I had at previous Nationals when I shot the 4 day rotations and side events each day.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You know it is kind of interesting. This years top score was 293 one of the top 25 shooters won as could be predicted in advance. The lower class shooters shot well and enjoyed themselves. The funny thing is in the past where the lower classes had their brains beat out with target presentations, the top score was 295 go figure.

I thought the Nationals were great fun, coupled with great weather, how could you ask for more.

It will be hard for the NSCA to compete with this one in the future.

For those of you who complained the targets were to soft I don't recall seeing you on the podium.

Buster

·
Registered
229 Posts
I went for the first time last week. I feel that the K-kup was light not soft, but what made it hard was that out of the 13 stations 9 or 10 of them were true pairs. The main was harder than K-kup and of the main I felt that the green course was the lightest. The other 3 were fun and there was tons of spring. None of the targets were "long big birds" most were close, technical and fast.

I LOVED this shoot, but will probably NOT GO AGAIN.

I know of $300,000 worth of gun that were stollen related to this shoot. Our truck got broken into......

There needs to be thread on how bad theft is a nationals.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I agree. The amount of theft has become astounding. Its a miracle if you leave there without your vehicle being broken into.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
ER NURSE said:
This has been a problem for years and years. There are comments on it every year. It's unfortunate but if you don't check your gun or take it straight back to your hotel, you're asking for trouble.

That said, I thought this was the best Nationals I've attended. Yes, the targets might have been a bit soft overall but they were a lot of fun. Nothing silly. No target that dared you to miss it. Concentration and good gun movement were required the whole way though.

K-Kup had too many true pairs and too many quartering outgoers. Other than the two tower stations and the last station on the course, the target setting was maybe just a bit lazy but, again, still fun.

Two separate two-rabbit stations on the Main was unnecessary but I did like the all rabbit peg on Par 4 and only dropped one (the R-L quartering black in the pair). For the main, I wish they didn't have the grounds set-up to have all the courses laid out in a row. It makes them a bit too similar. Not sure that will ever change, though.

Super Sporting was the best and had probably the single hardest target of the whole week (I shot all the 12ga events other than the 5-Stand). That long incoming midi on station 6 or 7 was nasty. I was on a 4-man squad and my one hit on the target was the only one on the squad. I like that area where they had Super Sporing. A good mix of woods and open area for a good variety of targets. I would be a nice place to throw the FITASC, I think.

Otherwise, the shoot ran like clockwork as always. No trouble at all on the main or FITASC. I don't think we even had a hanful of broken targets through those events, either. One trap breakdown on Super Sporting but the mechanic was there in less than 3 mins and had it fixed in less than 10 minutes. It worked out OK for us as the trap broke when we were shooting and it gave us some breathing room between the squad in front and us. Fantastic weather as well!

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
ER NURSE said:
I went for the first time last week. I feel that the K-kup was light not soft, but what made it hard was that out of the 13 stations 9 or 10 of them were true pairs. The main was harder than K-kup and of the main I felt that the green course was the lightest. The other 3 were fun and there was tons of spring. None of the targets were "long big birds" most were close, technical and fast.

I LOVED this shoot, but will probably NOT GO AGAIN.

I know of $300,000 worth of gun that were stollen related to this shoot. Our truck got broken into......

Don't know if it's the same truck or not but the one at the motel on 1604 close to Culebra had the truck broken into between 6:30 & 7 am on Wed. morning. His guns were checked at the shoot and money was in the glove compartment which was left open and they didn't take the money or anything else - just vandalism.

·
Registered
498 Posts
As a whole I thought the targets were excellent. The main red, yellow, and orange were very similar and I thought green was a little harder. I liked Steve's rabbit station as did my girl friend as a E shooter she ran it! The double midi's were very deceiving. Steve said they were 26 yards and he was suprised I hit 7:)
K was ho hum basic targets, the super sporting was excellent except for the long incoming midi. More luck than skill as it varied a lot with a little wind.
5 stand was a lot easier than last year even thought I didn't shoot it any better. Sign of good target setting.
Fitasc was very good, not North Brook but not many gifts either!
Again a very well run shoot to the point of flawless.
I have attended 20+ nationals and am registered for next year. If you want more difficult targets they are usually found at the Open and some regionals or any tourniment at North Brook. The Nats have found a recipe for success and there isn't any reason to change.
I store my gun on site and never had a problem.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I, too, think this was the best nationals I have been to. It was well run, targets entertaining, and all the competitors were in good spirits. Can't wait until next year.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
streetie,

Thank you so much for your prayers. I am committed to getting my sugar down and dropping some weight. I want to shoot as long as I can. My friend Charlie Peppers in Oklahoma took a three day school from me when he was 96. He broke targets up to 65 yards the afternoon we worked on long presentations.

jwints,

I am sorry that I missed you while at the shoot. I would have really enjoyed talking to you. I too thought this was a great shoot. As I said, I enjoyed the main targets and thought all classes probably enjoyed them too. I would have like to have had a few more separators but that is just my opinion and is not meant to criticize any of the setters. I thought they all did a great job. I though Steve Knowles course was the best. Steve is a very good setter as is the other three setters. Steve sets a little like me so I guess that is why I enjoyed his course the most. I am thinking about calling Peggy at Ozark Shooters and setting up three one day clinics. I hope that you might be able to attend one of them. Please keep in touch. I like to hear from from my students to see how they are doing.

Mike McAlpine
The Clay Target Academy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts