Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From past polls it looks like most of the forum members shoot clays more than hunting. However, for those that load hunting loads there are a few points I would like to pass on.
(1) After years of tests in the ballistic labs, no powders gave as uniform tight center core patterns as Green Dot, Herco, and Blue Dot. Yes, the are not the cleanest, but their performance has been outstanding. Some years ago Don Zutz ran many patterning test also.
(2) We have found that in todays high capacity hulls, using up the 2 oz of plated shot, the Fiocchi hull performed best. All their hunting hulls have a 7mm basewad.
(3) In high density hunting loads, a tight rolled crimp when using slow burn powders, gave less spread in velocity shot to shot. It was thought at one time that a rolled crinp caused blown patterns, but when we installed high speed photo, we found it was the hard heavy filler wads blowing into the base of the shot as it left the barrel.
(4) We have found a great deal of confusion in understanding shot weights in hunting loads. Recently it has been shown that it did not matter, pressure wise, what the shot size or type (ejecta) was as long as it was the same weight. If a load recipe called for 1 5/8 oz....it did not matter if it was #10 shot or buckshot....all other components remaining the same. In fact, the #10's having more surface contact had a very small, but inside the pressure envelope, increase over buckshot.
(5) With each new addition of powders, most of the data will push those. But, most new powders do little that the older tried and true haven't been doing for years.
(6) And last.....tests prove that a stacked wad column using over powder wads like Ballistic Products "X12X" and "Obturator", light wool or Styro filler wads, and a shot sleeve (teflon or sprayed with Ms Moly), plus a rolled crimp.....gave better patterns and uniform velocity than one piece wads!
Making these specialized shotshells is slow and the clay bird shooter needing high speed production will not be interested. However, the hunter that wants the best longrange turkey load, the buckshot shooter, etc. should consider buying some of Ballistic Products Inc small pamplets on specialized hunting loads. Best Regards, James
Please note: All my comments in this post refer to lead shot, either plain or plated (copper or nickel).....JCG

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
I agree with all your points except for #4 and I think that is a difference in wording. I think you meant shot size, not type. Pressures would be similar if between an 1 1/2 of lead 9s and 1 1/2 oz of lead 00 buckshot but the pressures would be very different if one switched between lead shot and steel of any size. There are even differences in switching from lead to bismuth or tungsten/poly, even though the pellet weights are similar per size. I use Tom Roster's buffered loads the most, the components he lists are easier and much cheaper for me to obtain. I do have the BP manuals but the components they list are not often found any place else, at least not locally to me.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your comments on my wording is correct! Thank You! I have changed it. Tom has done a great deal of work on buffered loads. We owe him a great deal for his time and development. In some cases I approached wads, type of buffer, etc from a little different path. Most of my work was done while working for the Gun & Ammo Co's where we could not publish our finding. Now that I am retired I can. Best Regards, James

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.