Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does Tim Bradley gets his Extrema 2 391 to shoot 12 rounds?

I can see how it's done with an Inertia Driven Benelli, but how do they get the shells past the 391's gas piston/cylinder?

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
It's done with an A391 Xtrema and not an AL391. There are both Gas operated but, very different designs. The Xtrema's (like most other Gas operated models) does not have a valve assembly on the end of the magazine tube not allowing an extensionlike the AL391 or even the 390/3901. Most Benelli semi auto's except the SBE's M1/M2, amd M4 also can not take extensions to hold more rounds.

Tim Bradley now shoots for Benelli.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
I have often wondered why Beretta refers to the Xtrema as a 391, when it is actually a completely different design.

I suppose it is because the 391 is so extremely popular and commercially sucessful, everybody knows it is a good gun, so being associated with it by name helps the Xtrema's reputation.

It is the same reason that Marlin identifies the guns made by Fausti as "L. C. Smiths". They are not "real" L.C. Smiths, but being called by that name probably helps their sales.

I'm not suggesting that the Xtrema is not a good gun - I'm sure it is good for its purpose - but it is not a "real" 391.

·
Registered
66 Posts
No definately not... I have had or still have both. I had the al391 and loved it with no issues ever the entire time I owned it. Then purchased the extrema and sold the al391 almost immediately. The extrema is (to me) a much better handling firearm (with really little to no differences on the outside). I seem to be faster with it and definately shoot better with it as well.

I never did find out why Tim switched brands? My understanding is that beretta and benelli are in the same complex made in the same locations and interest held in the same company... Both guns shoot great? I will state that the reason I am shooting the beretta is that the one SBE that I owned kept jamming on me with 2 3/4 rounds?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts