Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Retiring again! After 42 years in LE and training other agencies, time to go.

Now 79, Butler has been sheriff for 22 years. Prior to his tenure as sheriff, Butler spent 20 years as an unelected law enforcement officer. He is one of the longest-serving and most widely recognized public officials in the county, and perhaps the most influential in local politics, per the local newspaper. He was known for training his employees in the latest and best techniques for getting the job done with the least damage to the public.

You gents know how the newspapers dramatize things. It has been a long ride and an enjoyable one but all good things must come to an end. Rocking chair time.

·
Registered
9,268 Posts
Talking in the third person huh? ;)

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maser, mostly stating what the local news rags say. They do love to dramatize things.

·
Registered
9,268 Posts
I'm just razzing you a bit, Sir.

On a serious note, congrats on your time in LE. If LE had more folks such as yourself working for them, LEOs wouldn't be so disliked as they are today. Also, thanks for the stories you've shared here about your LE career. I may have been labeled as lots of things here, but being dishonest has never been one. That said, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your stories.

·
Registered
23,136 Posts
Congratulations ev, I very much enjoy your posts, keep it up. Also congratulations on your long and distinguished LE career, we need thousands more like you!

cdb

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
Thanks for your dedicated service, Ev. We've never met, but if that occasion ever occurs, I will be honored. If today's law enforcement faithfully followed the pattern you have set, it would be a much better world.

Please stay involved in SGW and please continue to share some of your stories; I've enjoyed every one.

Best wishes in your retirement.

OS

·
Registered
272 Posts
CONGRATS Sherriff Butler!!!

Thank you for your service!! I moved to the Raleigh area in 1995 and have admired from afar your dedicated service to the citizens of Cumberland County. I am certain they were grateful to have you as their Sheriff. We need more like you in LE.

Enjoy your retirement and I hope one day we meet on the range somewhere.

·
Registered
13,377 Posts
EV, What are the major changes you have seen in law enforcement since 1974? I was just a kid then but as I recall there were no female officers, nobody wore body armor, everybody carried a revolver and some departments still had red lights on the roof of their cars. I also remember saps and black jacks being standard equipment.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Go lightly lawman :)

·
Banned
30,821 Posts
Evan Butker owes the entire world a book about his philosophy of law enforcement and how to stay a righteous man in the middle of a state legislature that would make Sodom look like a strict Baptist church!

Time to publish a book ev!

That's your work now.

You aren't retired, you are about to become an author!

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Your face shows the burden that has been placed upon you. Rest well.

Thought you would be of a more spare build.

·
Registered
27,021 Posts
Rocking chair my ***............You look more ready to go hunting and fishing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.