Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
I tip $5 per 50 targets....and the trappers go out of their way to ensure I get fair and hittable targets.

I have seen other shooters who tipped much less (or who even stiffed a trapper a time or two) and the trapper never forgot who they were on subsequent rounds, if you follow my meaning.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
5 per 50 and 10 per 100, our home course is in the process of automating so trappers won't be too common anymore.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I tip $6 per 100 and have occasionally tipped more if a trapper goes out of his way to help me on a presentation.
I shoot at Ozark Shooters and they have trappers to take you trough the course. No manual traps just pushing buttons and keeping score. Most are also shooters and will give advice if asked on a certain presentation. Helps with the newbies and tourists so they have a better time, also to ensure safety. Some are experienced shooters and can give me advice during my practice rounds, they'll get tipped more. At times when they shoot also we trap for each other and in that case no tip is expected. When trappers are in short supply they will allow their experienced members trap and score for each other. The ones they trust to be honest and safe on the course. Like one of the trappers said "they play favorites" but that makes sense because those of us they allow to do that are not a liability.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
ysr_racer said:
Where do you guys shoot that still use trappers?
Critter Path Sporting Clays in Erie Pennsylvania. Best course in NW Pa. Mike Wise is the owner and target setter, he can throw some of the best targets. Compareable to all the big names w/o the cost. I have shot targets by Gary Bloom, John Wooley, Chuck Frazier, George Hopkins, Michael Moore, Robert Crowe and others. He ranks right up there.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I agree! Mike sets some of the nicest targets you will ever shoot!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Confused. I donate at the counter in a jar that says "for the trappers". But how would a trapper make the presentation "better, or easier" I don't know any that will run down range and hold the things up over their heads for you.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I don't put money in tip jars. I always tip the trapper is pulling for me.

·
Registered
906 Posts
d52

Trappers can make targets easier or harder for shooters they like or dislike...

Example: Trapper waits for 'non-tipping' shooter to enter stand and then proceeds to load the clays onto the manual machines throwing arm (that is attached to the trappers seat)...when the shooters calls "pull", the trapper leans the seat over to one side, causing significant canting of the manual machine, before releasing the throwing arm.

End result is that the 'non-tipping' shooter gets an unexpected pair and never is the wiser.

Never underestimate the power of the trapper!

Joe

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
cleboje said:
d52

Trappers can make targets easier or harder for shooters they like or dislike...

Never underestimate the power of the trapper!

Joe
Yep that is it exactly, We've got a few trappers that can make it really hard for you. They are really fair however, they will throw them on some stations based on your ability, If you want to shoot hard targets they can give you some hard targets. Of course this doesn't happen during league or tournaments then they have to stick to the menu.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Do you tip when the owner/manager is the trapper? :?: Many times when I go to a shoot they have trappers at each station and a tip jar. That is when I use the tip jar otherwise I tip the trapper if he/she is the one to walk the course with the squad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.