Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I had a package show up at the door. It’s two boxes of sealed 24 gauge shells, Winchester Ranger. I picked them up on auction fairly cheap. I really know nothing about them, paper hulls maybe?

Now the conundrum, do I open them? I actually have an old 24 gauge SS so I could shoot them. But I have a feeling these could be worth something, even though I didn’t pay much for them. Since there are two boxes, should I open one and stash away the other?

HELP!

Rectangle Font Publication Material property Wood

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Shoot them and save the boxes. I mean how many cheap shells in 24 gauge are you ever going to find?

Reactions: uplanddan

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m not really a collector, just figured the ROI might be nice down the road. But I’m not even sure which vintage of shells these are or how old they are.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I guess I am taking the plunge! I was hoping somebody could tell me if they had any value, but it sounds like the real value is in using them to break birds (clay or feathered).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was a good read, thank you. I know the ones I have are after 1924, but I couldn’t find anything else on the box indicating date of production as the article suggested. Guess I’ll have to do a little more digging. I did find someone on GB with the same exact box and gauge asking $250 for a single box.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
upland3r,

Put them up for sale and see it anybody makes an offer, if not then use them.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

·
Registered
777 Posts
That was a good read, thank you. I know the ones I have are after 1924, but I couldn’t find anything else on the box indicating date of production as the article suggested. Guess I’ll have to do a little more digging. I did find someone on GB with the same exact box and gauge asking $250 for a single box.
Yea those guys sell to collectors and have lost their mind. I see them all the time when I’m looking for brass shells and you never see bids and at the end of the auction, you just see it again.

·
Registered
13,759 Posts
Do not open.

I sold a nice box of 2-5/5" 12ga Western in a two peice box, sealed. I forget what I got for it exactly as it sold in a collection, but it was worth about $75-$90' in a beat up but sealed box. The buyer got this bright idea that the shells in the box were worth two buck apiece, and opened the box, I don't know why, to make sure there were twenty five shells in the box as the unopened packaging claimed..... .?

The primers were all corroded from getting damp. Nice $20 box sucker.

• Haha
Reactions: upland3r

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That’s what’s I’m real curious about, what the condition of the shells are and if they are all corroded out.

Sounds like I need a sucker to find out. :)

·
Registered
Cynergy - Euro Sporting and CX
796 Posts
I’m not really a collector, just figured the ROI might be nice down the road. But I’m not even sure which vintage of shells these are or how old they are.
You mean you are going to stash them in your shooting room until your wife or kids have to decide to throw them in the dumpster or not. :)

·
Registered
13,759 Posts
You mean you are going to stash them in your shooting room until your wife or kids have to decide to throw them in the dumpster or not. :)

That's how I got mine. Came out ahead to the tune of $200 and the guy I sold them to got a real deal to make a deal if he knew the right crowd.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts