Shotgun Forum banner
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
We're all so lucky to have you……a shining beacon of truth, combined with fact based emotionless judgement, among a bunch of folks discussing what is for most of us a hobby and passion.

Thank you so very much.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
DEG said:
The OP himself provided far more reasons to avoid the purchase than to make it. .
he provided the absolute number one reason for owning any particular gun. he smashed targets with it. that is absolutely number one. numero uno. the big enchilada. the fat lady done sang.

as to hurt on the gun...yes he's a bit off in my estimation. i figure if he shoots it a year and decides to move on he's gonna eat around $2k. And that may be absolutely fine for him.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I think CEH just wanted to have a discussion about a gun he may always have had in the back of his mind . He's found himself in the position to acquire one and wishes to have a discourse with like minded people. Ultimately he'll make up his own mind ( if he hasn't already).
What I don't get is why someone would decide it's a good thing to step in here and spew such negative attitude since it's so much nicer to be pleasant.
I've always kind of lusted after a Perazzi myself but struggled to justify it . Someday that may change.
It's quite possible that your nemesis can't afford one and is letting jealousy cloud his judgement.
Please , carry on with your quest.

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Rooster booster said:
CEH, if you said it earlier, I missed it……32"?
32"
My Browning is a 30" I think it's the sweet spot for them. My Zoli is a 32" and it handles very nicely. I have no interest in 33 or 34" barrels.

birdhunter39 said:
he provided the absolute number one reason for owning any particular gun. he smashed targets with it. that is absolutely number one. numero uno. the big enchilada. the fat lady done sang.
Exactly correct!

birdhunter39 said:
as to hurt on the gun...yes he's a bit off in my estimation. i figure if he shoots it a year and decides to move on he's gonna eat around $2k. And that may be absolutely fine for him.
There wasn't any serious discussion on price. I told him it was probably above my pay grade, but asked how much. He answered "probably around 12" After a better test drive, if I'm still interested, I'll make him an offer. It will go where it goes.

captjsjr said:
I think CEH just wanted to have a discussion about a gun he may always have had in the back of his mind . He's found himself in the position to acquire one and wishes to have a discourse with like minded people. Ultimately he'll make up his own mind ( if he hasn't already).
This is also exactly correct, and I have not made up my mind yet.

captjsjr said:
What I don't get is why someone would decide it's a good thing to step in here and spew such negative attitude since it's so much nicer to be pleasant.
I've always kind of lusted after a Perazzi myself but struggled to justify it . Someday that may change.
It's quite possible that your nemesis can't afford one and is letting jealousy cloud his judgement.
Please , carry on with your quest.
This is where I'm at right now. It felt really good and the clays just disappeared in a cloud of smoke. That got me thinking about it more.

Thanks all for the comments.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
birdhunter39 said:
To me there is not an obvious step up in quality from a Z sport to a Perazzi. But if the fit is near perfect as you describe then the decision is made.
it's not about making a "step up" in quality as it is the feel of the two guns. Those with Perazzi's all generally say nothing feels and handles like a Perazzi, and they aren't wrong.

Sell the Zoli, you admit it's not your thing, just cause it was supposed to have been your forever gun doesn't mean things don't change.

I was supposed to have a "forever" wife too.......that changed the day she filed.

If you like the P gun, and you shoot it well, and you can "justify" it, then pull the trigger and don't look back, you'll be glad you did.

As someone that is on the fence about a P gun as well, I know the felling you have.

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
DEG said:
The OP specifically asked for views on whether or not he should buy a gun. The very fact that he felt the need to ask a bunch of strangers if he should buy the gun is a the first good reason he should probably not move forward.
I wrote:
"I already have a Zoli, that I don't shoot well and a Browning 725 that I do shoot pretty well with. It's a lot of money and I really don't need it...but it is a Perazzi."
I guess I don't really need any of my shotguns when you get right down to it. The fact is, I ENJOY SHOOTING THEM. I own a Zoli and a Browning, do I NEED a Perazzi, no I don't.
DEG said:
His only expressed reason for considering the purchase was the name engraved on the side of the gun.
No, the reason I got interested, and I quote: "I shot it last night and absolutely crushed the targets I used it on" Good enough reason for me.
A lot of top shooters use them, there must be a reason, balance, swing dynamics etc.
A lot of people can only dream of a gun in this class, I CAN afford it.
DEG said:
However, how it seems clear he has already decided to make the purchase and was just looking for cheerleaders like you to make him feel better about his decision.
No, no decision has been made yet. I'm using it in a shoot on the 5th, my decision will be made after that shoot. No negotiation on price has happened yet, the price was a number he threw out. He may or may not be firm on the price, I don't know yet. Cheerleaders, no, just looking for opinions on the gun from owners. Is it that much better than what I have now, build quality, balance, swing dynamics...
DEG said:
He also said he couldn't get hurt as the gun was in good condition, but when he later provided his "friends" asking price it was clear he was not getting a bargain and could very well get hurt if he didn't like the gun and needed to sell it.
Again, I don't yet know if the price is firm or not. One thing you may not know, in this state, in a face to face purchase there is no sales tax. If I have a used gun shipped to an FFL from elsewhere, there is sales tax, at 9.5% that adds up quick. A new gun purchased of similar specs would be $15.1k out the door. A used gun at $10.5k shipped here would be slightly less money, but I wouldn't know the history. I know the seller, I know how he takes care of his guns, that is worth something to me.

PS: He called me last night on his way home from the NV State Shoot and we discussed the gun. He knows where I'm at with my decision on it.

PPS: He is a member here and has read this thread.

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
gdub41 said:
it's not about making a "step up" in quality as it is the feel of the two guns. Those with Perazzi's all generally say nothing feels and handles like a Perazzi, and they aren't wrong.

Sell the Zoli, you admit it's not your thing, just cause it was supposed to have been your forever gun doesn't mean things don't change.

I was supposed to have a "forever" wife too.......that changed the day she filed.

If you like the P gun, and you shoot it well, and you can "justify" it, then pull the trigger and don't look back, you'll be glad you did.

As someone that is on the fence about a P gun as well, I know the felling you have.
I've heard it said that a Zoli is as close as you can get to the feel of a Perazzi without buying a Perazzi. I've got to tell you, I love the balance and the way the Zoli swings, I just don't shoot it that well. I have been on the fence about selling it for a while now, it is likely to go sometime soon. The limited time with the Perazzi felt very similar, but I did smash the targets.
If I shoot it well on the 5th I will have a tough decision. If I do buy it, I will need to shoot much more than I do now to justify it, I'll need to go back to shooting every week :lol:

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
"it's as close as you can get to owning a P gun without owning a P gun"

I've heard that as well, and I know people that have owned Z guns, and they like them, and they shoot them well, and they have stuck with them.

For me, after shooting a few guys P guns......I get it, and I really like the feel and the swing of the P gun, many guys who own P guns all say the same thing "nothing handles like a P gun"

You could recover alot of the P gun price with the sale of the Z gun, if for whatever reason you don't like the P gun, you can sell it, not take a huge hit, and get another Z gun, maybe a different model or something, and or find a good deal on a used one.

Life is full of options, and as my dad has always said to me "life is too short not to own nice stuff" it's not a question of "if" I'll own a Perazzi, it's a question of when will I own a Perazzi.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you like the gun, it fits you and you shoot it well, buy it.
Sell another gun if you have to or want to.
Forget about the price and enjoy it.

Look at the price of a replacement gun in 10 years and say to yourself
"Boy did i get a great deal"

just my opinion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
zehyani said:
If you like the gun, it fits you and you shoot it well, buy it.
Sell another gun if you have to or want to.
Forget about the price and enjoy it.

Look at the price of a replacement gun in 10 years and say to yourself
"Boy did i get a great deal"

just my opinion.
Agreed!
Many great points being made and discussed. One thing jumps out at me that was stated by the OP: "this is a lot of money".

Each time I've heard shooters (friends and acquaintances) say that before an expensive gun purchase the "new gun jitters" are magnified 10X afterwards. I can't explain it. No logic offered can fix it. I've seen it over and over... something changes in us after the check is written; nerves can get the better of us.

All I can say is: be aware of it, be patient, and make plans to 'shoot through' it. We all shoot best when we pick up that gun and address a target without the little guy on the shoulder whispering "Ok... you've stepped up to a P-gun now. Don't miss". Don't be surprised and give it time.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
it's not new gun jitters, it's called buyers remorse.....it's real and it happens, look at the threads for sale and or gun broker and how many times do you see "500 rounds" or so on some really high end guns that are north of $10,000

it's one thing to plop down $10,000 on a new gun, it's another to walk away feeling good about it, and not guilty, and to keep it. That's the difference.

regardless I understand the itch to get a P gun, I have shot a few of them now and I truly get it, they are special guns that handle great, feel wonderful and swing like nothing else. I don't think you will regret the purchase, but I'm not you.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Educate yourself on the market for that brand and you'll be able to move in and out of guns with relatively little loss until you find the right one.

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Ventrib said:
Many great points being made and discussed. One thing jumps out at me that was stated by the OP: "this is a lot of money".
Perhaps I should have qualified that...
This year I've already spent nearly 9k on two guns and have a deposit down on another one that will be about 4k when it comes in. Given that, my discretionary funds are running a little low and this gun is nearly the price of the other three combined. In that context, it is a lot of money.
gdub41 said:
it's not new gun jitters, it's called buyers remorse.....it's real and it happens, look at the threads for sale and or gun broker and how many times do you see "500 rounds" or so on some really high end guns that are north of $10,000
I've seen a few of those ads, but not a lot of them. Unfortunately or fortunately , none of the guns in those ads ever peaked my interest.
Buyers remorse is real, I usually have that with cars :roll:
The thing that got me interested in this particular gun was the fact that I smoked the targets I shot it at. To avoid a bad decision/buyers remorse, I'm going to give it a much better test drive next weekend. I don't know of any better way to decide if it's right for me or not.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Offer $10.5 and run with it. If you don't fall in love you can sell it for close to that in a year or whenever and no harm.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
ceh383 said:
This year I've already spent nearly 9k on two guns and have a deposit down on another one that will be about 4k when it comes in. Given that, my discretionary funds are running a little low and this gun is nearly the price of the other three combined. In that context, it is a lot of money.
Been buying guns from Larry Friedman for several years now. He's a long time P dealer. First gun from Larry was a used 390. Next gun was a new M2. Then he had a used 686 28ga i couldn't say no to. Then it was a new 686 28ga. Somewhere along the way i bought a used Zoli Pernice from him. I said to him the same thing you are saying here. 'Man Larry this is a good amount of money and costs twice what my nicest gun now does!'. Larry said I was following an unavoidable and common progression. He said the gun safe starts off full of Remingtons. Then it has Beretta and Benelli guns. Then we start seeing double guns. Bottom line, he said, is your gun safe will eventually have K and P guns in it and you will trade in these brands just as you do now with Beretta and the like. Said so long as you can swing it (certainly many cannot) you WILL eventually do it.

I thought he was nuts and being a little self serving as a Perazzi dealer.

He was 100% correct.

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
birdhunter39 said:
Educate yourself on the market for that brand and you'll be able to move in and out of guns with relatively little loss until you find the right one.
I've been looking hard lately and off and on for the past few years, haven' found anything I was really interested in.
Something people that don't live here in Kalifornistan don't seem to understand is the sales tax. At 9.5% it's the highest in the nation. If I buy a gun FtF thru an FFL, I don't have to pay it. If I buy a gun that is shipped to an FFL it requires a Bill of Sale, and I will have to pay the sales tax on that amount. So, a gun at 10.5k shipped here, I'm paying almost 11.5k anyway. If I sell the gun later for 10.5k, I've lost almost 1k. Now if I buy FtF for 12k this crappy state gets no money, if I sell it for 10.5 I'm out 1.5k. I'll happily give the extra money to a friend if it keeps this state from getting $.01.

birdhunter39 said:
Been buying guns from Larry Friedman for several years now. He's a long time P dealer. First gun from Larry was a used 390. Next gun was a new M2. Then he had a used 686 28ga i couldn't say no to. Then it was a new 686 28ga. Somewhere along the way i bought a used Zoli Pernice from him. I said to him the same thing you are saying here. 'Man Larry this is a good amount of money and costs twice what my nicest gun now does!'. Larry said I was following an unavoidable and common progression. He said the gun safe starts off full of Remingtons. Then it has Beretta and Benelli guns. Then we start seeing double guns. Bottom line, he said, is your gun safe will eventually have K and P guns in it and you will trade in these brands just as you do now with Beretta and the like. Said so long as you can swing it (certainly many cannot) you WILL eventually do it.

I thought he was nuts and being a little self serving as a Perazzi dealer.

He was 100% correct.
Thanks for the tip on Larry, I've seen some of his auctions in the past. He has a few I might be interested in, but that sales tax thing comes into play :shock:
The other thing about buying online, there's no way to know the history and about any possible issues an item may have. FtF and shooting it are worth something to me $$$ aside.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
You're on the right track looking at your pals gun. Lots of advantages if you decide you like it…..but you know that. Good luck, hope you like it!

·
Banned
13,904 Posts
quit fretting. Sell some of your wife's jewelry and get the darn thing.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts