Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need opinions on porting the barrel on a 12ga Rem 11-87. I'm using it mostly for clays and some upland birds, maybe some ducks. How much will noticeable recoil and barrel jump be reduced?
Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Try the search function... type in "porting" for a keyword, and you'll get pages of threads on the subject from all the forums.

This subject has been beaten all around... some think it's great, some think it's dumb, most are pretty ho-hum, but just about everybody seems to agree it's LOUD.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Save your money for shells/decoys/beer. It will be better spent :D I seriously dought you will have noticeable differance in recoil or lift but you will in noise :shock:

Not even worth the doe :roll:

Scott

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Yes, I think porting of barrels is very beneficial, and, further, if you are going to be competitive in either skeet, doubles in trap or sporting clays, I do not thing you can compete on difficult courses without ported barrels.

People that indicate that ported barrels do not stop barrel flip just haven't witnessed the evidence, and companies like Ballistic Specialties, many independent testing companies, and even the US Army, can attest to the fact that porting of the barrel decreases barrel movement substantially.

I shot a ported barrel for the first time this year in skeet, and it really did surprise me how smoothly the barrel moved immediately to the double. If a person isn't getting that feeling, I would wonder if the porting was done correctly.

In sporting clays on the most difficult courses, they send out two clays below your feet so you are shooting down. The first clay precedes the second clay by about 4.5 feet. Understand that it takes the shot pattern about 4 feet to get to the target. So its a boom-boom kind of shot, and I think that second shot is made much more difficult without a ported barrel.

There is no doubt that they work...it is more about how serious you are about the clays. There is no nationally ranked shooter, to my knowledge, that doesn't use ported barrels.

·
Registered
130 Posts
This is an ongoing discussion among the members of our shooting club and the consensus is that porting has a demonstratable effect if done correctly. The ports must be drilled at the correct angle and in the right pattern or all you have done is drill holes in your barrel. There are some companies out there who do it right and some who do not. I have shot three different Beretta 625 Gold Sportings, two with porting and one without. I noticed a marked difference in the amount of muzzle flip in one of the ported guns over the unported. The other ported gun shot identically to the unported except louder.
IMHO you should set down with some others that have had the porting done and get their opinions, the name of the company that did their work and some names of other who have had it done. Then ask if you can examine their guns and see what you like and what you don't. I think that you will find that the ones that work are pretty much identical and the ones that don't are greatly varied. Shoot what you like and its all gravy after. ---AFG

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I had my 12ga. O/U pigeon-ported by mag-na-port and I'm happy with it. This has a few more ports added to the pro-port. It was money well spent. It tames the recoil and muzzle whip down. If you shoot a lot or shoot 3" or 3 1/2" you might find this a good investment. Another option is to have the forcing cone lengthen or barrel back bored. Check out the ma-na-port website.

http://www.magnaport.com/sgun.html"

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
http://www.angleport.com

ESPN Great Outdoor Games Gold Medalist has his gun(s) done here. These guys are great folks to deal with.

I do not like ported barrels but I have shot them and yes they do make a difference especially in clays.

I am a hunter and would rather not piss off my hunting partners and deafen my dog prematurely.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I guess I'm not a serious enough shooter. :roll: I just think porting is a gimmick. The only thing I notice about it is the fact that I spend a whole lot more time cleaning the barrels and fussing around getting the plastic out of the ports. I guess I would concede that if you are a very serious competition shooter and want to try to give yourself every advantage, then go ported and let your sponsor or coach or whoever deal with the cleaning. IMHO, for the rest of us mortals...we are better off without it. Hey, in thinking about it, I wonder if the shooters arm/upper body strength has anything to do with whether or not he notices a benefit, i.e., a less firm grip on the shotgun would have a tendency to allow barrel rise. Just a thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts